Menu

Possibly moving to CO soon

I'm looking for homeschoolers in Colorado. Right now we live in Kansas and our regulation for hs'ing are very limited. All we have to do is file with the state BOE by the time the kiddos turn 7. My brother and I were homeschooled here in Kansas so this is my only experience. Colorado has more regulations than we do here and even though I've checked it out through the HSLDA I'm looking for actual on the ground experience with their regulations. I'm kind of scared of having to file with any agency on a regular basis regarding test scores etc. Any advice is welcome!

There are a couple of options for you here. You can be part of an independent school and file all your info with them. CHEC (our state homeschool association has one.)

I send in a letter of intent to any school district in the state (I got the form from HSLDA.) I send it to a different school district every year. And you need to send the test scores to where you send your LOI.

I haven't had any problems and it is relatively easy (in my opinion.) We are considering doing the independent school with CHEC this year but they require more information. HTH!

no immunization requirement (unless you participate in a public school program such as the one day per week provram for heschoolers that my dd did last year;even then I do not remember providing the record, though I assume I did)

Our district does testing for a small fee

Although you won't have to show immunization records to anyone unless necessary, Colorado homeschooling law does include immunization records in its list of "records to maintain on a permanent basis." You also have to keep attendance records per the state law, though you don't have to submit them.

Someone else mentioned how you can opt out of vaccinations if you desire. Maintaining attendance can be as simple as marking on a calendar what days your kids did school. "Doing" school is whatever you count. Technically, you can count every minute of their life as school, so you school every day. We hsed there for four years, in two different school districts, and I never heard of anyone being asked for their records.

Testing is easy. You can use any nationally standardized test. In my current state, I use CAT because of the price, $25/child, and the fact that I don't need anything (B.A. or otherwise) to administer at home.

I paid a private school $10 per year to hold my test results. I figured it was none of the school district's business. This is a common option, it wasn't anything I sought out that was unknown to most hsers.

Colorado was easy. My current state requires a bit more, nothing super intrusive, but more work for me.

(I haven't hsed in Colorado for several years, but I don't believe the law has changed.)

Margaret, I'm a certified teacher relatively new to homeschooling in CO. I've been planning on doing my own evaluations on my kids, but are you saying I don't even need to do that? Do you put in your letter of intent that you're a certified teacher?

marychance, I was nervous moving to CO because we previously lived in TX which requires nothing of homeschoolers. I prefer homeschooling in CO, though, because my kids can participate in the schools, and in TX homeschoolers can't participate in the schools at all. My district is very homeschooler friendly and has several enrichment programs specifically for homeschoolers, plus my kids can participate in after school programs (a nearby charter school has a great after school engineering program that we plan to use). Also, the requirements are not too bad. I especially like that you can choose to have your kids evaluated instead of tested. Good luck!