Menu

"Getting Started with Latin"- what age?

I am doing GSWL with my 6 yr old DS. We started when he was 5.5, and we are about 2/3 through the book. He is generally very strong in LA, but when we started GSWL we did do most of it orally since he was not reading well yet (easy to do for maybe the first half of the book, if you DC is not yet a strong reader). Now that DS reads very well, he prefers to look at the sentences while we are translating them (and that is somewhat necessary now, since the vocabulary has grown and the sentences have gotten longer and more complex).

As far as grammar - I do have DS do English grammar also, but we have covered some topics in GSWL that we have not yet covered in our English grammar programs (direct object, indirect object, and possessives come to mind). We just cover them in GSWL and it has worked out fine, and then when we encounter them in our English grammar, they are review! So far that has worked just fine for us.

DS **LOVES** GSWL. He even does it semi-independently, of his own initiation - while I'm making lunch, he sits at the lunch table, pulls out the book, reads the new word/lesson, then reads the sentences aloud to me, and then tells me the translation. Sometimes his enthusiasm gets the best of him and he just cannot stop after only one lesson, so he goes on and does the next as well!

GSWL is such a great intro. Absolutely no frills (and no fun kiddie stuff, if your DC needs that), but so intrinsically enjoyable and motivating to my little guy. He feels so proud of himself for being able to do something Daddy can't do!:D

I did this last year with my 2nd and 6th graders. We went slowly and worked open book. My older son caught on quickly, but it was more fun to do it as a small group, so we went at the pace the 2nd grader could handle. I have wanted for years to do a foreign language but have never actually gotten to it before. This book was very easy to use.

I'm using it with a 3rd grader, and I think he could have easily done it last year in 2nd grade also. He does know the English grammar involved already. If your child is ready for heavy grammar, I could see doing it younger. If not, you might wait until 3rd grade or so. My third grader finds grammar easy, so he is sailing through this right now.

I'm not involving my K'er. He's absolutely not ready for Latin. He's still learning to read English. :D

My five year old insisted that we start it this year. Now we're on lesson 34, and he wants to do Greek instead. I've given it some thought, and I can't see forcing a K'er to continue in Latin, so I'm going to let him dabble around in whatever he wants. GSWL taught him some grammar, but I think he feels a bit bogged down with it right now, so I'd guess that people saying it's best whenever the child is ready for grammar are probably right.

We are doing SSL this year while DS is technically 1st, doing 2nd grade work. I have GSWL in the closet and plan to do it next year for 2nd/3rd grade. By then, he will have completed two years of grammar in two different programs. If I don't feel like he's "there" yet, I'm hoping SSL2 will be out by then.