Menu

Astrid, Other Breeders...

Quick ? for you.

Got an email from the breeder today. 1/3 females in contention to be our pup has a gr 1 heart murmer.

I've said no to that pup. Despite her saying that most dogs grow out of it, I'm just not willing to risk it.

I'm waiting for her to email me back, but just wondering, would you find my stance unreasonable? I realize that nobody can guarantee everything, but I'd rather not run a risk of a pup w/a known issue.

I've had two pups in my time that had heart murmurs. Both times I spayed the female that had them as it is genetic and it can be an issue. That being said, both pups grew out of it fine, just as our vet said, and they are lovely healthy girls now.

Did either of the parents have murmurs when they were younger? I would be leery about it, but I don't know if I would cross her off my list. I might just ask for a better health guarantee (that would tell you how confident they are about this) and a reduced price. But then, I'm usually willing to gamble on things like that which is why I have a pet here that has had seizures and a dog with sever allergies. :glare: lol Maybe my advice isn't the best to go off of on second thought.

Well, grade 1 is less severe, and most likely, the dog will grow out of it.

THAT SAID, I would have turned down the pup too. You're dealing with a brachycephalic, big, heavy breed. Heart issues of any kind are often magnified by both of those two characteristics. Lifespan is already an issue for large heavy breeds and IMHO, you'd be wise to avoid any possibility of decreasing it.

I think you made the right call, but others may disagree.

astrid

Well, grade 1 is less severe, and most likely, the dog will grow out of it.

THAT SAID, I would have turned down the pup too. You're dealing with a brachycephalic, big, heavy breed. Heart issues of any kind are often magnified by both of those two characteristics. Lifespan is already an issue for large heavy breeds and IMHO, you'd be wise to avoid any possibility of decreasing it.

I think you made the right call, but others may disagree.

astrid

You're right, I'd forgotten what breed it was she was getting.

Yeah--- Dogue de Bordeaux. Now if you'd said she's missing a few salivary glands, I'd say go for it, AND breed her! :D

astrid

:lol:

But seriously, though, we had a GP cross and believe it or not, I sometimes find myself missing the drool drips here and there. He was one heck of a dog, dribbles and all. :crying:

Yeah--- Dogue de Bordeaux. Now if you'd said she's missing a few salivary glands, I'd say go for it, AND breed her! :D

astrid

Bwah hahaha!

:lol:

But seriously, though, we had a GP cross and believe it or not, I sometimes find myself missing the drool drips here and there. He was one heck of a dog, dribbles and all. :crying:

Cassie is a GP x Akbash.

Frankly, after having 5 teething babies in the house, drool schmool. That's why they invented paper towels :tongue_smilie:

She would probably outgrow it depending on her age right now BUT it is something that I would not take a chance with with a Dogue.

You def. made the right choice!

If the breeder makes any mention you can tell her to have an echo done on the pup as evidence there should not be any perm. damage but I would still decline!

She would probably outgrow it depending on her age right now BUT it is something that I would not take a chance with with a Dogue.

You def. made the right choice!

If the breeder makes any mention you can tell her to have an echo done on the pup as evidence there should not be any perm. damage but I would still decline!

Pups are 8 wks today.