Menu

Cloth Diapering

I would check out lots of different sites about cloth diapering in addition to asking around here. You can google some good ones as I'm not sure if I can link to them here (still new to this particular forum).

You should also consider what kind of diapers you're interested in. I liked one-size pocket diapers, personally. It was a bigger initial investment but they were easy for everyone to use and lasted us from birth to 2 years old. I liked that about them. Some of my favorites were bumGenius and FuzziBunz. :)

Where did you start? I am so overwhelmed with all the choices. Also, it seems so expensive to start out. This is our last baby, so I won't be buying to also pass down to another sibling.

There are two main ways to do it. Prefolds and covers, or pocket/all in one diapers. How old is the baby?

We started with prefolds from Green Mountain Diaper Company, and covers. Thirsties and Flips covers are good if you are just trifolding, but if you are using a snappi than thirsties or econobum.

If you want stray dry inners, and sizes that grow, and the baby isn't tiny, than pocket diapers are the other option. We have a stash from Sunbaby, they are about $5 each and last through multiple sizes. I will say that toddlers and up require 2 inserts, not one, so go ahead and get the extra microfiber inserts (i hate the other ones they make). Very cheap, and very very cute.

There are two main ways to do it. Prefolds and covers, or pocket/all in one diapers. How old is the baby?

We started with prefolds from Green Mountain Diaper Company, and covers. Thirsties and Flips covers are good if you are just trifolding, but if you are using a snappi than thirsties or econobum.

If you want stray dry inners, and sizes that grow, and the baby isn't tiny, than pocket diapers are the other option. We have a stash from Sunbaby, they are about $5 each and last through multiple sizes. I will say that toddlers and up require 2 inserts, not one, so go ahead and get the extra microfiber inserts (i hate the other ones they make). Very cheap, and very very cute.

THIS, and also all-in-ones (which are the most like disposable diapers in their function, but are also the more expensive option). I like the one-size all-in-ones that grow with the baby. BumGenius and Grovias are both VERY popular, and I've used both. I prefer the Grovias.

What are your reasons for wanting to cloth diaper?

I want to cut down on chemical exposure to the baby and thought cloth diapering could help with that. Why? Are there choices of diapers based on reasons for cloth diapering?

I am only 12 weeks pregnant so I have time to figure it all out. Thanks for the info so far. I have heard good things about fuzzibunz and g diapers. The g diapers seem really pricy though.

Also, my boys didn't potty train until their 3rd birthdays.

Chinese prefolds and Proraps are about the cheapest way to go. Fold the diaper in thirds, stick it in the cover and there you go. Get a medium size trash can and something to line it with for a diaper pail. You could use trash bags or get a reusable cloth liner. Stock up on baby washcloths and use those with water for wipes. That way you avoid wondering what to do with poopy wet wipes after you put the diaper in he pail...

Two months ago, I bought Kawaii and I love them. They are a one size pocket. I have every kind of diaper, but I like these because they have microfiber inserts and they only take 20 minutes in the dryer (and I have an old dryer). If I had more of a budget I would probably get bumgenius.

Also, I buy snaps instead of velcro whenever possible because I hate having chains of diapers in the wash, and the velcro doesn't seem to last as long (even on Thirsties and Bummis.).

I think the reason to ask why you want to it, is because it's an investment, and for the first child not necessarily cheaper than disposable diapers - plus the time to rinse, wash, etc. It truly is an investment of $$ as well as of time.

We have used cloth for three of our kids. I personally do not like prefolds - they leak more than fitted diapers. I love Thirsties fitted http://babycottonbottoms.com/fitted_and_contoured.htm - they are so soft and fit so well! However, that comes with a higher cost. There are several sites I would recommend:

http://babycottonbottoms.com

http://www.cottonbabies.com/index.php?cPath=98&gclid=COepzrHhnrECFc3MKgodZkZsig

Both of these sites do sell diapers, but there is also a lot of information and the people are so helpful to answer any questions.

It takes longer, but I personally would buy a few different styles and find what you like. As I said, I would never do prefolds again, but others really like them...guess I need more instruction in folding them to avoid leaks.

I also would look into buying used diapers and/or covers. You can save money this way as well.

Best wishes in your decision!

Melody

I think the reason to ask why you want to it, is because it's an investment, and for the first child not necessarily cheaper than disposable diapers - plus the time to rinse, wash, etc. It truly is an investment of $$ as well as of time.

We have used cloth for three of our kids. I personally do not like prefolds - they leak more than fitted diapers. I love Thirsties fitted http://babycottonbottoms.com/fitted_and_contoured.htm - they are so soft and fit so well! However, that comes with a higher cost. There are several sites I would recommend:

http://babycottonbottoms.com

http://www.cottonbabies.com/index.php?cPath=98&gclid=COepzrHhnrECFc3MKgodZkZsig

Both of these sites do sell diapers, but there is also a lot of information and the people are so helpful to answer any questions.

It takes longer, but I personally would buy a few different styles and find what you like. As I said, I would never do prefolds again, but others really like them...guess I need more instruction in folding them to avoid leaks.

I also would look into buying used diapers and/or covers. You can save money this way as well.

Best wishes in your decision!

Melody

For us, fitteds leaked more than Prefolds and Snappis. ;) Our prefolds are almost bulletproof. Also, you can buy used and you can sell yours when you're done, as long as they are in decent shape.

Don't worry, I spent the entire month of July 2010, and then some, researching cloth diapers, tried several brands and styles, and am still discovering new ones I want to try. This is my last baby too, and my 1st to cloth diaper, but you can get a good chunk of your money back on resale, so don't worry too much about that.

There is a ton of info. on Green Mountain Diapers' website. After reading about the fact that microfiber can hold stink that can be a pain to get rid of, plus the fact that I wasn't crazy about the idea of having soggy synthetic fibers on my baby's bottom all day, I decided I would only look at natural fabrics (mainly cotton and some hemp). That narrowed the choices a bit, but there were still tons!

I have found that one size diapers will never fit like sized diapers (duh!), so unless saving money is the most important factor, I would choose diapers that come in different sizes. I also realized that different styles work best for different stages of babyhood/toddlerhood. ETA: If you really want to purchase one-size diapers, I think BumGenius does the best job of fitting from small to large. I have some Elementals because I wanted cotton.

Prefolds are cheap and easy to just lay in the cover and close. However, they do not hold in EBF poop, and I got sooo sick of cleaning covers (clothes stayed dry, but the cover needed to be switched). Fitteds work great for containing messes, but once the baby is big enough to roll over and attempt an escape during diaper changes, the 2-step process of getting the fitted adjusted and snapped, then adjusting the cover and closing was just too cumbersome. Prefolds laid on a cover have worked great since she's been walking and having fewer "messy" messes. I love AIOs, but they are too expensive for most people to use exclusively, and they take up more space than separate diapers and covers (fewer covers as well). I always have a few AIOs for the diaper bag and for quick changes when traveling, etc. I never got into pockets, because I don't like the concept of stuffing (especially unstuffing!), and most of them are microfiber, so that was a no for me. Now that my dd is 20 months, I am starting to think ahead to potty training, and realizing that side-snapping diapers will be the best for pulling up and down, before she is ready for training underwear. Having diapers in different sizes has allowed me to switch to the best style for her stage of development when I move up to the next size.

My recommendations (FWIW):

Newborn and small sized fitteds : Clotheez Workhorse or Motherease Sandys

Medium/Large: prefolds: Thirsties Cotton/Hemp Prefolds, a few Babykicks hemp prefolds for naps

Covers: Flip, Bummis or Blueberries

Nighttime: Motherease Sandys with "Stay-Dry on cotton" liner, plus a small hemp liner with cover: Motherease AirFlow or Stacinator

Potty training: Motherease AIOs, Bottombumpers AIOs or Simplex AIOs (all with side snaps)

I also like Sun Seedlings Nighttime AIO with organic (trifold) soaker for the diaper bag. I know it says nighttime, but it's also great for long car trips. They are handmade to order, so you can have some fun with the prints!

I would visit greenmountaindiapers.com, nickisdiapers.com and motherease.com to begin your research.

Good luck!

Edited by AHASRADA

I want to cut down on chemical exposure to the baby and thought cloth diapering could help with that. Why? Are there choices of diapers based on reasons for cloth diapering?

I am only 12 weeks pregnant so I have time to figure it all out. Thanks for the info so far. I have heard good things about fuzzibunz and g diapers. The g diapers seem really pricy though.

Well, if it is economic reasons, there are choices that are better than others. If it is environmental, there are choices better than others.

If it is because you like the way they look, there are choices better than others.

lol.

So, yes, I suppose there are diapers that would be a better choice, depending what your reasoning is. :D

As far as chemicals, one thing to keep in mind is for whatever you get, keep in mind that certain types of diapers may do better for certain types of laundry detergent. So that is one thing to consider. :001_smile:

Here is a thread from a while back that has lots of great info for cloth diaper newbs.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=257119

Most people end up hating G-diapers. I wouldn't do them. Fuzzibunz and BumGenius are the two big brands, but Go Green and Sunbaby are also great.

Where did you start? I am so overwhelmed with all the choices. Also, it seems so expensive to start out. This is our last baby, so I won't be buying to also pass down to another sibling.

I used cloth on my one and only son. I started when he was around 4-5 months old. I think I tried every kind of cloth diaper, including G diapers. :) I also sewed and made a lot of my own. There are tons of patterns, if you go that route.

My favorites for going out were pockets and AIOs. I also liked fitted diapers. These are like AIOs, but not waterproof, so needed a cover. Around the house I used all these, but also a lot of prefolds and covers. I crocheted and made wool covers. The only reason I taught myself to knit was so I could make knit covers too. Yes, I *loved* cloth diapers. :lol:

Don't visit Hyena Cart or Diaper Swappers if you don't want to get caught up in the craze. :willy_nilly:

The site Make.Laugh.Love (formerly Diaper Sewing Divas) is a fount of information whether your sewing your own or not.

I had to switch because my DD was allergic to diapers. Blah! I switched her at about a month old...and we had a great experience. I bought a couple of each style and figured out which I like best. Not all fit each baby the same.

I loved Kissaluvs or Sandys Diaper at home with a prowrap or light wool wrap if needed when we went out. Mainly we used them without covers with no problem. For the most part I just put a microfiber insert and she stayed very dry. I wasnt too happy about the way the aio diapers began to have an odor. I found I could clean my cotton diapers or inserts much easier. The AIO I had was a shell with a snap in insert. Cant remember the name...but it was very easy to swap out inserts without changing the shell. Those usually stayed dry.

I made my decisions based on reviews on diaper pin website. That was the easiest for me. I figured which worked best.

i have been cloth diapering for about 5 years. It is a bit expensive to get started but it is an investment and if you buy good diapers they will last you a LONG time. I have even bought some second hand from www.diaperswappers.com that is a great forum for questions and answers about cloth diapering and you can buy and sell on there too. i've been a member there since 2007.

My favorite diapers that we use are

Bum Genius all in ones with snaps(not velcro)

Rump-a-roos with snaps

Smartipants

Thristies Duo with snaps

THose diapers have lasted me 5 years and will probably go a lot longer. it's very important how you wash and dry them though which can prolong the life of your diapers.

I was so overwhelmed with all of the choices for cloth diapering when we decided to cloth diaper our third! I spent months researching! In the end, I chose prefolds with covers for daytime and BumGenius for night time. I've been very happy with the decision. Leaks have never been a problem. When dd started sleeping through the night, I added another insert to the Bum Genius diapers.

It has really been a lot easier than I thought it would be.

I cloth diapered 3 of my children and am pregnant with another due in Jan. We never used cloth diapers while we were out and about, which was only about once or twice a week for Church, etc. For us it was just easier to buy the disposables for that.

I had numerous problems with detergents, because of our hard water here, we had lots of trouble with soap build-up, horribly stinky cloth diapers, etc. So we went off and on with cloth/disposable for a while too.

I tried prefolds and snappis with prowraps but we got a lot of leakage with those. My favorite are AIO's and Fitted diapers with knitted soakers. I ended up making a lot of my own after trying a few different companies like Kissaluvs, Muttaqin Baby, and FuzzyBuns. I got a snap press for making my own with snaps. I even learned how to knit to make soakers. :)

It was a bit of an investment but I'm glad we did it. I did get so frustrated with the build up and stench that I quit for quite a while. I hope I can find a new solution to that so I can cloth diaper this new baby full time.

Check out diaperswappers.com. You can get a variety of styles gently used to see what works best for YOUR baby, since every baby is a bit different.

With DS, I used Bum Genius pockets. They worked well, and he was an average sized baby. They only had velcro then and I didn't love that, but they did the job well. I also had prefolds and covers, and a few random pockets.

For DD, Bum Genius leaked because she was soooo skinny. Prefolds and covers were the way to go for her. I had some Kissaluvs size 0 for the newborn stage and since she was so tiny, she wore those for a few months with newborn/small covers. Happy Heiny pockets worked for her, too.

For my current baby, the chubster, prefolds and covers are working best (Bummi Super Whisper Wraps and Flips are my favorite covers.) I also have Best Bottoms covers with snap in inserts. I like those but they leave red marks on her chubby thighs. They would have been perfect for skinny DD, but aren't working as well on this baby.

So true that each kid is different. This one gets a rash if she is in prefolds too long, especially in the heat, and so I have to use microfiber pocket diapers for her (cheap ones!), at least in the summer or when we are out and about. I rotate them with prefolds at home. My son never wore anything BUT prefolds. He fit great in Proraps covers, they don't fit her at all. Go figure.