Menu

Pros and Cons of living in Seattle?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard that Vit. D helps. I don't know though. Two years of supplements couldn't do for me what a few months of Texas sun did. :lol: Portland Costco had a large selection of the special lights that are supposed to help with mood and sleep issues.

Interesting. I feel like I get really grumpy when the temps start rising. Right now it is 76 in our house and I feel like I'm going to die. My motivation just completely leaves me and I don't want to do anything, I just feel really ugh and tired.

Interesting. I feel like I get really grumpy when the temps start rising. Right now it is 76 in our house and I feel like I'm going to die. My motivation just completely leaves me and I don't want to do anything, I just feel really ugh and tired.

Oh, I don't like the heat either. I start to get grumpy when my house hits 74. :lol: I nudge the thermostat down degree by degree. Sometimes I see my husband in a sweatshirt, pants, and socks and know I may have gone too far. :tongue_smilie: I guess my ideal place would be cold and sunny, with some good thunderstorms mixed in.

Oh, I don't like the heat either. I start to get grumpy when my house hits 74. :lol: I nudge the thermostat down degree by degree. Sometimes I see my husband in a sweatshirt, pants, and socks and know I may have gone too far. :tongue_smilie: I guess my ideal place would be cold and sunny, with some good thunderstorms mixed in.

Ah yes, that would be perfect, except I don't want it to be *too* cold :) I grew up with harsh winters, and the sun really didn't help much in that case - it got down to -30C. Brrrrrrr.

And I LOVE thunderstorms. I miss them.

Oh my - my 2000th post. How exciting!

Do vitamins or supplements help with SAD? Just curious if anyone has had experience trying it.

I take vitamin D - a lot of vitamin D (10,000 i.u. a day) but I have chronic problems too so I wouldn't base anything on me.

Re. thunderstorms. We've had some this year but usually we don't really get them.

Well, it is hard for me to talk negative about the PNW since I live here and love it!

I graduated high school from Federal Way which is between Seattle and Tacoma. The traffic was horrid even then! I remember thinking how nice the traffic was to deal with when I was living in Chicago. At least there, you could get off the highway and follow the side streets if needed. In Seattle, there just aren't too many ways to get around.

As far as the weather goes, I absolutely love the grey days here. (I'm just outside Portland now and always get a bit jealous because the Seattle area is just a bit cooler than here). I feel way more energized when it is overcast than I do when the sun is shining. Like others have said, the rain here is more of a mist. That is the main reason most of us never even own an umbrella. As far as vitamins go, the last time I was tested, my vitamin D level was almost non-existent so I'm on rather high dosages of vitamin D.

I love the hippier vibe of the west coast, but then again, I'm a bit on the granola side of life anyway.

Now, if you ever start thinking of the Portland area, I could go on for hours about why I love it. :)

Well, it is hard for me to talk negative about the PNW since I live here and love it!

I graduated high school from Federal Way which is between Seattle and Tacoma. The traffic was horrid even then! I remember thinking how nice the traffic was to deal with when I was living in Chicago. At least there, you could get off the highway and follow the side streets if needed. In Seattle, there just aren't too many ways to get around.

As far as the weather goes, I absolutely love the grey days here. (I'm just outside Portland now and always get a bit jealous because the Seattle area is just a bit cooler than here). I feel way more energized when it is overcast than I do when the sun is shining. Like others have said, the rain here is more of a mist. That is the main reason most of us never even own an umbrella. As far as vitamins go, the last time I was tested, my vitamin D level was almost non-existent so I'm on rather high dosages of vitamin D.

I love the hippier vibe of the west coast, but then again, I'm a bit on the granola side of life anyway.

Now, if you ever start thinking of the Portland area, I could go on for hours about why I love it. :)

Thank you so much for your feedback! I've always had an interest in Portland as well. If any possible job opportunities come up for that area, I would love to chat. One company that might be possible is Alaskan Airlines, which I know is based out of Portland. Anyway, you never know!

One company that might be possible is Alaskan Airlines, which I know is based out of Portland.

I thought Alaska Airlines was based out of Seattle? My sister used to work for them years ago and that's what I'm recalling, but maybe I'm wrong.

ETA -- This is what I saw at the AA website: "Its hubs are Anchorage, Seattle, Portland, and Los Angeles" and it also called it, and Horizon, "Seattle-based." I don't know what that all means though!

Oh my - my 2000th post. How exciting!

Do vitamins or supplements help with SAD? Just curious if anyone has had experience trying it.

I've no idea. but getting out and working in the garden during the winter (and on days it's not raining, you can) was very helpful. You don't even have to do "a lot", just get out. I remember one winter I did that and just couldn't understand what everyone was complaning about what a dreadful winter it was.

I thought Alaska Airlines was based out of Seattle? My sister used to work for them years ago and that's what I'm recalling, but maybe I'm wrong.

ETA -- This is what I saw at the AA website: "Its hubs are Anchorage, Seattle, Portland, and Los Angeles" and it also called it, and Horizon, "Seattle-based." I don't know what that all means though!

horizon is it's commuter airline for sparse routes that fly to the hubs.

AA will fly from those hubs direct to hawaii.

Another opportunity is Presenting itself in Everett. Anyone know about that area? What are the nice places to live within a 30 minute commute? My big concern wherever we go is that dd9 is heavily involved in musical theater and it would crush her to have to give it up.

Another opportunity is Presenting itself in Everett. Anyone know about that area? What are the nice places to live within a 30 minute commute? My big concern wherever we go is that dd9 is heavily involved in musical theater and it would crush her to have to give it up.

Grew up in the area, but lived outside of Everett itself. Lake Stevens, Snohomish, Marysville, are all very nice. So are parts of Everett but there are some areas you'd rather avoid, like any city. The traffic wouldn't be near as bad and you could get to Seattle in a little over 30 minutes if there is no traffic. ;)

ETA- I'd much, much rather live in the Everett area than the Seattle area. You will also find the cost of housing less there.:)

Edited by Happyhomemama

You might look into this for theater. http://villagetheatre.org/ks_programs.php

Thank you Jean! It seems to focus on older kids more, so hopefully there are additional opportunities. She really would be heartbroken, and she is lucky to be in an excellent group that does three professional productions per year. She is almost constantly working on a play!

You could be my neighbor :D

I live on the border of Everett/Mill Creek. JUST south is Bothell which is also lovely and a bit closer to SEattle