Menu

Have you ever taken a...

... Disney Cruise?

We have the opportunity to take a family vacation anytime we want after August 15th. We've never had this kind of opportunity before. The monkeys are/will be 9, 7, and 8 months old. I don't really want to fly with an infant (though I'd love going back to Europe.) So a cruise to Hawaii seemed feisable because we live on the left coast. Anyone been on Disney Cruises? Dh and I have always wanted to go on a cruise and I thought that this might be a good option as we'd rather have the monkeys with us instead of leaving them with family.

YES! Best.Vacation.Ever. EVER.

They absolutely cater to you. If it within their power, they will get it.

We rotated restaurants each night (they give you a schedule) and our servers rotated with us. We had 3 servers and I think each set of servers worked 5 tables. The first night we were asked our drink preferences and every night after that, the servers were putting them on the table as we sat down. One of the servers came by with a crumb brush and tray between courses and even cut Indy's food. I was about to cut his meat the first night (he was 7 at the time and still not good with a knife), but the server told me that was his job. One night I didn't like my meal, so they took it away and brought me a new one. James Bond and I couldn't decide on desserts one night, so they brought us one of each. Awesome.

Indy loves the Oceaneers Club and begged to go there every day. He had such a great time. Each kid is fitted with an electronic wrist band when you check in and they are scanned in and out of the kids clubs (there are 3 babies, 3-6 and 7-12). Only approved adults could pick them up and you had to give a password to get them. We had several friends on the cruise, so we all put each other down as pick ups.

The shows were absolutely spectacular. There were Broadway style shows, magicians, and others, as well as movies. There were parties on deck and movies on a HUGE screen poolside.

There were also plenty of places for James Bond and I to go that were child free, including an adult pool area and dance clubs, which was nice.

We're looking at doing the Disney Med cruise again next year when JB gets back from Afghanistan, IF they have good military rates. The current rate for the 12 night cruise in an outside cabin is $11,000 for the 4 of us. Yikes. In 2010, for 11 nights in an outside cabin, the military rate was $3000, but Indy was free.

I would do another Disney cruise in a heartbeat. I'd love to do their Hawaii cruise. I hope you get to go. You will never forget it.

My in-laws took us on a cruise like that when my kids were maybe 4 and 6. I know a lot of people love that cruise, but we all found it to be a disappointment. When I think of Disney, I think of the amusement park and so do my kids. There is a day-care sort of setup with fun activities for the kids, but mine wanted no part of that. I think if they had, it would have made a difference. The food was really subpar as well. I remember thinking that was supposed to be one of the great things about a cruise, but I found it seriously lacking.

My memory isn't the greatest. All I really remember doing are two different so-so excursions off the ship. I have no idea what we did the rest of the time. I mostly just remember thinking we'd never do it again.

Lisa

ETA: Just to clarify in case people think I was disappointed I couldn't stick my kids in day care all day -- The reason I think it would have made a difference is because that's where all the activities were for the kids. I just don't remember there being much else for them to do beside the pool.

Edited by LisaTheresa

I agree with everything that Mom in High Heels said, we loved it! We went on a Disney Cruise to the Caribbean and it was wonderful. Our boys were 8 and our daughter 17. The boys weren't really interested in the "day care" option which was fine with us. They loved swimming in the pool and watching Nemo at the same time:) The waiters were just wonderful. We were on the cruise with friends also and our older children swam with the stingrays on the Disney Island. So cool. I would love to take an entire family vacation (grandchildren and all!) on a Disney Cruise someday. There really is something for everyone!

I haven't been on a Disney cruise, specifically, because it's out of my budget. I've been on many cruises with my kids on other lines, though, and it is by far our favorite way to vacation.

Our next one is already booked for next April and we are literally counting the days (I have a countdown clock on my phone and every day at least one asks me "how many more days, mom?" 265 as of now, in case you were wondering.....)

I don't know anyone personally who has not loved their Disney cruise. And Hawaii is probably my favorite place on earth. I'm so excited for you!