Menu

Dyson Animal....worth it?

Our vacuum bit the dust, literally. We've had it for 4-5years, and it was only a $100 Hoover. It hasn't really be doing the full job for a while, but now, it's completely doing no job at all!

We've got a ultimate shedding machine...a Lab, and a cat that leaves puffs of black hair everywhere.

Thinking Dyson......five year warranty, supposedly massive sucking power.

Anyone have an opinion to share on Dyson?

We have had ours only a few months. It works very well. There are more bits (filters and stuff) that need to be cleaned than on our old Hoover. Most don't need to be cleaned each time, however I'm still not used to it.

Pro - really gets up the fur

Con - higher maintenance than a bag-vac with a HEPA filter.

FWIW we got ours at Costco when they were running a special. I don't know whether they still carry it, but if so, Costco has a no-questions-asked return policy. You can try it out and if it isn't good enough you can return it.

Sandra

I absolutely love my Dyson DC 14! :001_smile:

I will only buy another dyson. I will say that they are heavier and bigger than other vacuums. If you can go to a store and try one out, I would recommend it. The only real maintenance that I have to do is every month or so I need to clean the brush bar underneath as anything long will get wrapped around it. it's not a big deal at all, but it does help the performance.

And, yes, the suction is amazing! Not kidding! :D

I have the animal...have had it about 8 years. It never loses suction, but the quality of the suction does get lost. I don't know if any vacuum picks up rice well, but this one does NOT. I have to go over and over and over and over it, and I don't think the rice is all up. Rice is in carpet, a little shaggy, but not majorly shaggy. My daughter plays with rice, and when I am not looking has poured it all over a few rooms. Aye.

The only difference between the animal and the non-animal is a specific attachment, of which I never use (I believe). I love the length of the cord on the Dyson. I likely will not buy another Dyson, but maybe I will buy a $200 vacuum that is designed like it, but a different brand. I have to research it.

FWIW, I did clean out my vacuum a few years ago with an air compressor...took it all apart. Suction improved, but then it started 'sucking' again.