Menu

Am I missing the point?

I'm a little down. I queried an agent about my book and got a rejection in three days flat. I'm grateful for the quick turnaround, but feel I'm going backward. My last rejection was personalized, this one wasn't, LOL.

And, as usual, I'm evaluating life. What is it for? What am I doing? Why try so hard? Why not just have fun?

If I'd spent all the time that I've been writing working as a bookkeeper or something else, I'd certainlly have more money. I doubt writing is every going to make me famous, and even if it did, would that make me happy?

What is the point? What is the point of any of this? Why do the things that are supposed to be fun not seem like a whole lot of fun?

Don't get me wrong - I'm enjoying family, enjoying the beautiful weather, enjoying swimming and playing.....sort of. I just want a major accomplishment to show for all the work I do. I want to be able to say, "Ta-da!" Here's what I do locked away in my bedroom typing all the time.

I feel like a bit of a failure today.

:grouphug:Jennifer:

There's nothing wrong with wanting something like publishing a book. I've always talked about writing, I've even started outlining a couple of ideas, but, I've never had the courage to follow through. I think the fact that you've gone this far is something to be proud of. Don't give up! Keep on trying, if that's what you want to do.

I agree, that another major accomplishment you have under your belt is your dc. From what I've read on here and the old board about them, they are truly wonderful kids.

I know how you are feeling I feel the same way from time to time, wish I had something to show for what I do. But, then I sit back and look at my wonderful family and say hay I don't have it that bad. I have food on the table and roof over my head, I guess that is good.

Hang in there.

:grouphug: Its my understanding that, as an author, you have to be turned down numerous times before you're accepted by one. Character building? Look at JK Rowling - I bet every publisher that turned her down (and there were A LOT) is kicking itself silly. And, given what happened w/her, I expect some of those people are out of a job, lol. Just keep at it. Don't give in to your dreams because just a few don't get it - someone will. That's all you'll need.

:grouphug: again.

Applause! Applause!

In my writer's group we applaud each and every rejection because they PROVE you have not only written, but submitted! Yay, hurray, for you.

We even have a 'Babe Ruth Strike Out' contest each year with the writer with the most rejections getting a prize. You know what we've discovered? The ones with the most rejections are also the ones who have the most words in print.

You are on the right track. I do know what you mean about the 'Ta-Da' moment. I've been writing for several years with only a few published short pieces to show for it...that and three half done novels and one non-fiction book. (I have issues with finishing, I think. ;))

Are you able to get to any writer's conferences to meet one on one with potential agents? All my published and soon to be published friends met their agent in person at a conference.

Nora Roberts wrote six romance manuscripts before someone bought one. Debbie Macomber had an editor tell her (at a conference) to throw her manuscript away. That particular manuscript was the first romance to receive the Quill award. Very impressive.

You are simply building a great story for your future speaking engagements.

Send it out again immediately!

Applause! Applause!

In my writer's group we applaud each and every rejection because they PROVE you have not only written, but submitted! Yay, hurray, for you.

We even have a 'Babe Ruth Strike Out' contest each year with the writer with the most rejections getting a prize. You know what we've discovered? The ones with the most rejections are also the ones who have the most words in print.

You are on the right track. I do know what you mean about the 'Ta-Da' moment. I've been writing for several years with only a few published short pieces to show for it...that and three half done novels and one non-fiction book. (I have issues with finishing, I think. ;))

Are you able to get to any writer's conferences to meet one on one with potential agents? All my published and soon to be published friends met their agent in person at a conference.

Nora Roberts wrote six romance manuscripts before someone bought one. Debbie Macomber had an editor tell her (at a conference) to throw her manuscript away. That particular manuscript was the first romance to receive the Quill award. Very impressive.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:Listen to Happy, Jennifer. You've gone farther than most people write ever will. Don't give up. Don't beat yourself up, either. And, sorry, I'm not sure "what the point" is either most days. But, I'm convinced there IS a point. Hang in there.

You could always self publish your book and sell it through homeschool curriculum outlets and at conferences. Surely someone would notice:) and help you find a professional publisher or direct you onward to the next step in the book writing world. Know that you are amazing for even getting as far as you have! Good luck!

Writers' conference. Writers' conference.

That's what I'm going to do next.

Any good ones that you know about? Anyone?

I have not had good luck finding a writers' group in my town and have really relied on people from here to read and comment. I'd like to find an in-person group for "real-time" comments, too. I'm going to work on that this fall.

I need something.

And I need help with this query, I think. I'm gonna work on it, and then parade it through here for comments, because all you women are brilliant.

I love all of you. I always get the pick-me-up I need here.

I'm gonna work on it, and then parade it through here for comments, because all you women are brilliant.

Drat! I was planning the same thing, except I haven't gotten off my slacker behind to WRITE a query letter. A book? No problem. Query letter? Scares. me. to. pieces. :lol:

So good luck, & maybe we can co-host a query thread. ;)

As far as the other stuff...I think 2 things.

1. All of this is part of something bigger for you. You've got big questions to figure out, & of course important aspects of your life, such as your writing, come into play w/ that. Keep searching. And know that a) if the answer isn't over the next hill, that doesn't mean it's not out there, & b) the answer isn't going to be in anything as simple as an agent acceptance letter. Although that would be good! :D

2. You should go see Melissa (M2LM) for a Mike's. ;)

Hang in there!

Applause! Applause!

I'm going with her advice. don't give up.

Writers' conference. Writers' conference.

That's what I'm going to do next.

Any good ones that you know about? Anyone?

I have not had good luck finding a writers' group in my town and have really relied on people from here to read and comment. I'd like to find an in-person group for "real-time" comments, too. I'm going to work on that this fall.

I need something.

And I need help with this query, I think. I'm gonna work on it, and then parade it through here for comments, because all you women are brilliant.

I love all of you. I always get the pick-me-up I need here.

Finding a writer's group can be difficult. Finding one that WORKS is down right impossible. I'm a lucky girl in that my writer's group is tough, professional, kind, and very, very, very encouraging.

Check with every librarian you can find. They often hear from writers...more so than bookstores.

Anytime you want me to look at something, give me a buzz. I'd be honored. (and opinionated ;))

Have you sent that manuscript out again???????

:grouphug:

I haven't read the rest of the posts, but I wanted you to know that I think it's *awesome* that you wrote a book, whether it got rejected or not. My advice: enjoy the rest of your life and shop that book around at the same time.

And write. Just for the fun of it; for the joy. Find your joy, and write! :D