Menu

Labradoodle Dilemma

Honestly? Neither. There are so many contingencies that can come up with these sorts of arrangements--which by the way, I've never heard of referred to as "guardian" arrangements. Co-ownership is a more common term. Some of my puppies go to homes with co-ownership agreements but that is at MY request, so they WILL NOT be bred. As soon as they are spayed or neutered I remove my name from the registration.

Breeder A: Who is responsible for health testing this *****? Financially, etc. What if she turns out not to be breedable (or does this breeder even consider dogs "unbreedable?" or is everything bred?) If health testing is not a priority for breeding, I wouldn't be involved, and I'd really not think highly of anyone who is involved in breeding dogs without extensive health testing.

Who is responsible for prenatal care? Or is that a priority? When does the ***** go to the breeders prior to whelping, or are you expected to whelp and puppy raise? That's a huge responsibility and can be very expensive, not to mention heart-wrenching.

Will you have any say in where the puppies are placed? (or is that not a priority? By which I mean, does this breeder sell puppies over the internet?)

Breeder B-- yeah--- she's a puppy mill, plain and simple. There is no way that anyone with over 30 breeding dogs could be considered anything else. "High Volume Breeder" is the term, and I am actually filled with ridiculous amounts of rage at the very thought.

I'd be very, very careful entering into any sort of agreement with any breeder. IMHO, you're going to be used. Plain and simple. People who breed like this are most concerned with the bottom line, and that's the sad truth.

Astrid (admittedly cranky after being emailed several times this week by a notorious person known to be working for a puppy millers trying to get a pup out of me and about twenty other breeders I know. When I smelled a rat and refused (we breeders talk and share our concerns) they got all verbally abusive and really ticked me off.)

Thank you for posting Astrid. I had these same sorts of thoughts, but couldn't figure out how to articulate them! We've just finished a year of training Dd's Eng Springer. We have tons of contact with several local breeders and have been able to watch and help socialize two litters in the past year. Dd has even done some training with a couple of the older puppies who were being considered as show prospects. If I ever agreed to breeding, I'd do it once and only once. I've seen all that these breeders put into it and no way would I want the responsibility. The entire process described by OP sounds crazy to me.

We will get our puppy in 13 days. We went with the closer breeder who has a MUCH smaller program. Maybe 3 active breeding females. She swapped breeding dogs with another breeder to bring in new bloodlines. That's where our pup is coming from. She is staying an extra 3 weeks for in-home puppy training, paid for by our breeder, before she comes to us. Our breeder also is paying for a puppy training class for us with the pup when she has all her shots.

We feel really good about the place where she's coming from. We see lots of pictures, posed and candids. Videos of the litter on adventures, and of trainings, in confined rooms and outside in the open. You get a good sense for the location, how clean and well kept it is, how clean inside their house is, you get to see that the pups are happy, healthy, bold, no fear or neglected low confidence at all! We saw their health check at 8wks with their local vet, too. The lady doing the puppy training is amazing! I wish she could train me how to do so well... :-).

FYI, we really did research the dogs at our local shelters and for years. There was almost never an allergy friendly dog and when there was the dog could not be with small children or cats. We even met purebreds from allergy friendly breeds and didn't care for them. Basically we're lab and retriever people. But too many allergies in our family. So this is the route we chose, doing our best to avoid unsavory characters and huge operations. And we continue to support our local shelter, including raising money for their walk-a-thon in September as a family. We got our guinea pigs from there, too. :-)

It sounds like your puppy is getting a great start in life. I bet you'll have fun with her. I've had a great dog from the pound, and I understand your desire to adopt from there. It is tricky though to balance out allergies, temperament, etc. Have fun with your new puppy!

• 2 months later...

Just wondering how the puppy situation worked out and if you have any photos!

We are going to go look at a goldendoodle pup tomorrow and spend a bit of time with her to see if any allergies sprout up. Prices are so expensive, but this one pup we are going to see is reduced because she's not slated to grow to as big as the standard size, and she is already 14 weeks old.

We'll see....

Blessings,

Brenda

A vote for Breeder A. And then, do tell: are there allergy issues? And will you report back on how things go? We dearly want a dog, but both my older son and I are allergic.

My friend has a Labradoodle, and we (my kids and I) react to it pretty badly.

I cannot, based on our experience, recommend the labradoodle as a low allergy dog. The schnauzer is also out for us. However, we can deal with a Shih tzu (yea, I know, not quite the same size as a labradoodle, but breathing is important too!).

Same as the OP, we couldn't just go to the shelter and get a purebred Shih Tzu. We had to choose a breeder...

This is the best picture I could figure out how to attach here of our dog Bindi. She's a sweet thing, lots of fun and a great temperment. This picture was right after her first grooming. We don't do bows in our family, LOL! She's going to be about 30lbs at full growth.

@Brenda,

If you are checking with puppies for possible allergies, heads up! We learned early on that puppies don't usually bother allergies. That comes after they blow their puppy coats and get their adult fur. So be sure to meet one or both of the parents if you can. Your reaction to their coats will tell you better.

@CleoQc,

Is it possible the labradoodle you met was half and half? If so, that's too much lab for allergy people. Our is a multi-gen, meaning the parents and grandparents are all labradoodles. In the lineage, I only saw full poodle back a few generations and full lab was so far back it was no longer listed in the 5 generations on the lineage. Multi-gen labradoodles are said to be better at being allergy friendly, but only to people who are allergic to dander. If you are allergic to dog saliva, there's not really a dog for you. But thank you, btw, for the affirmation on trying to find allergy friendly dogs. We searched our humane society for years, with no luck.

Good luck, Brenda!

abby.jpg

Wow she's beautiful! Does she shed? We have a Golden-Doodle, first generation cross of a standard pooled mom and golden retriever dad. We love him! We reacted to the Labradoodles, but not the Golden Doodle, so we chose our boy Dudley at 3 weeks and he's been with us since 8 weeks old- almost 2 years. He doesn't shed, just a fluff bunny once in a while in the corners on the floor, but never on clothes or furniture, he is very playful but incredibly reliably docile- he takes anything from my 3 year old and is loyal to a fault. Everyone warned me he was going to be insanely hyper but he's not been, he's quite mellow, he's playful when the kids want him to be, but quite content to sit by your feet. His coat is a lot if work! I had to shave him, we live in a farm and he would get covered in mud and burrs and become do matted, so I shave him right down in the spring so he enjoys the summer free of his heavy coat. He really looks like a giant teddy bear. :)

Oh my, that is the cutest dog!

I don't understand how some Labradoodles are so small. All the ones I've seen (except one) are the size of a Lab or standard poodle. And I don't really care for the looks of them.

But yours, and the other small one I've seen, are so cute and don't really look like a Lab or a Poodle (not that Labs aren't cute....I had a beloved Chocolate Lab for 14 years and she was absolutely adorable). Maybe it's the full-size Poodle look that I don't like. Anyway, do they just keep breeding small sizes until they get little ones, or do they breed a big Lab with a small poodle?

Edited by Elinor Everywhere

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful 'puppy' photo! Although I have to say that I was a bit taken aback that I was looking at a puppy that was going to be (in the future) 30 lbs. The 14-week puppy we are going to look at in 4 hours is supposed to be 25-30 lbs. at adult, and I was thinking of a much smaller dog in my mind than yours... although yours is beautiful, all brushed and posing so prettily!

I really did not know that about possibly not reacting to puppies like you would a full grown dog... oh my... maybe we should also go look at a ****zu-poodle mix I also saw advertised in our local paper this a.m....

But my kids are so enthralled by 'the puppy guy' that we already saw. He gives out a complete puppy manual for how to care for your puppy. He has 13 dogs on site that he breeds, and although we were in his home, we never saw the area where the dogs are kept. We did, however, meet the parents of a different puppy we were looking at a few weeks ago who was only 3 weeks old (and $600 more in price), compared to the one we are checking out today that is 14 weeks old and coming with a lower sticker price.

My son and I already get allergy shots for environmental pollens, grasses, etc. We may just add in allergy shots for dogs, AND start our daughter on allergy shots for dogs, too. I hope this works out... guess I had better start another thread with all this digression I am doing here...

Blessings on your new addition and so glad it is working out so well for you.

Brenda

Oh my, that is the cutest dog!

I don't understand how some Labradoodles are so small. All the ones I've seen (except one) are the size of a Lab or standard poodle. And I don't really care for the looks of them.

She's a labradoodle too. Was she the one small one?

Small labradoodles can come from small poodles. Australian labradoodles (like Blondie) also have a dash of spaniel, I believe.

Laura

She's a labradoodle too. Was she the one small one?

Small labradoodles can come from small poodles. Australian labradoodles (like Blondie) also have a dash of spaniel, I believe.

Laura

Yes, Blondie was the other cute one I've seen! Actually, she was one of 3 dogs that changed my mind about getting a small dog, after years of firmly believing I'd always stick with big dogs. You can let her know how she influenced my decision. :D

Edited by Elinor Everywhere

Yes, Blondie was the other cute one I've seen! Actually, she was one of 3 dogs that changed my mind about getting a small dog, after years of firmly believing I'd always stick with big dogs. You can let her know how she influenced my decision. :D

Right now she's outside with Husband: she's supposedly having a last pee but is probably eating bird poop instead. Cute, huh?

Laura