Menu

I've been given the okay (by dh) to get a daughter

...through a sponsorship by either World Vision or Compassion International.

I am already familiar with World Vision (sponsoring a child through them) but was cruising around the website at Compassion last night and think I may want to sponsor a child through them as well.

If anyone knows of any significant differences between the two agencies, please let me know. I have read all I can read on the website (except financial statement) and it looks similar to me.

I am already familiar with World Vision (sponsoring a child through them) but was cruising around the website at Compassion last night and think I may want to sponsor a child through them as well.

If anyone knows of any significant differences between the two agencies, please let me know. I have read all I can read on the website (except financial statement) and it looks similar to me.

Yeah for you! Most people in our church go through World Vision for some reason. I don't know why, so I'm not really much help. :tongue_smilie:

I don't know much about World Vision, but have been sponsoring a child through Compassion for about a year now. The thing I like the most about it, is they encourage you to build a relationship with your child. Writing them letters, sending pictures, sending gifts, etc. I also sponsor a child through our churches "sister" church in the DR and they don't do much of that. So I've really appreciated how Compassion does that. (although World Vision may be the same :))

I know that wasn't much help in comparing the two, but I thought I'd just let you know I've been happy with Compassion :D

We began sponsorship through Compassion because I love how they work through the local church bodies to help the communities. Not sure how World Vision works but I don't recall that at the time I was deciding who to sponsor through.

I will say if you want a different option we sponsor three kids through an organization in Sierra Leone, Africa. The sponsorship is great! We email the kids and they write letters that get emailed back. You can actually pick out birthday and Christmas gifts and they will be mailed to your child and the best part.... you get to SKYPE your child every month!! Seriously. It is so much fun and the kids call you Auntie and Uncle and they love their sponsors. The organization plans many yearly trips for sponsors and I have been twice. I can speak first hand at how awesome it is. The name of the organization is The Raining Season. If you want more info, I'd be happy to PM you. :)

We sponsor through both. I prefer sponsorship through compassion. When I mail letters to compassion, I have the option to go online and email them (with fun paper and photos) or I can mail to CI headquarters and they send them to the child's country. When I mail to our WV child I have to mail to the country directly which is a little more work/expensive for me.

For choosing a child with Compassion, our first one was born the same year as our youngest child. Our second one has the same birthday as one of our boys. Also our second child had been on the waiting list for almost a year. I specifically chose a child that had been waiting for a sponsor.

We sponsor through Compassion. I know people that work there, and have never heard a negative word about the organization.

We chose our boy based on birthdate and the fact his father had died. We really wanted him to be able to go to school.

We chose who we chose in part because I knew we wanted to help a girl who might otherwise be at greater risk of human trafficking. This is a big issue in certain Asian and Eastern European countries. The boys chose the age (they wanted someone younger--a "little sister" of sorts).

Best wishes, OP!

I am looking for those girls exclusively, so to speak. They have symbols by their pics indicating they live in an area where sex trafficking is prevalent.

Our girl through Compassion is from Indonesia. When we chose her, I wanted a girl the same age as our daughter. It was funny...I fell in love with her face and knew she was the same age....then I looked at her birthdate: it was the EXACT same birthdate as our daughter!

When we began sponsoring she lived with both parents. Just last year her mom died from cancer... so grateful we can be there to stand in the gap and keep her with her father so she doesn't end up an orphan or trafficked like our kids we sponsor in Africa.

I think you'll be happy with Compassion....

If you can't choose a child, just contact Compassion and tell them to send you a girl from whatever region and they'll assign you a child.

I don't know of differences between the two, but we've been sponsoring multiple kids through Compassion since 1995. I think they're a great organization.

I'm very new to World Vision, but I got the impression from the initial welcome correspondence that emailing the child is an option for them as well.

We chose who we chose in part because I knew we wanted to help a girl who might otherwise be at greater risk of human trafficking. This is a big issue in certain Asian and Eastern European countries. The boys chose the age (they wanted someone younger--a "little sister" of sorts).

Best wishes, OP!

Yes, it is now. I just emailed our kiddo for the first time. All you have to do is set up an online account.

We've been sponsoring through Compassion for years! I've had nothing but good experiences with the organization. As for choosing the child, we just requested a child who had been waiting the longest. We've already graduated two kids from the program sniff and are starting over again with youngins. One boy was 5 when we started sponsoring him and he's all grown up now! Time flies!

Proud to announce I have now "three" children. One 5yo in Ethiopia, one 6yo in Burkina Faso and a 21yo in CA. :D We have now two boys and one girl.

I found out that both agencies - Compassion and World Vision have email options but the restrictions on what one can mail the child seem a lot tighter with Compassion, however, sponsors mail things to the Colorado Springs office instead of the project headquarters in the foreign country, so there are some savings on postage.