Menu

Doggie diarrhea?? help

Hey there-

So our new dog has hookworms and has diarrhea. Vet gave me a gastroententeric food which is supposed to help, but it seems to be getting worse. He got a dewormer on Monday, and is also taking probiotics, but he's had two messy "mistakes" on the rug this morning.

Any other ideas? I am talking to the vet again at noon today, but thought the hive might be able to help. White rice? He is underweight, so giving him a bit more food isn't a problem. How long until the diarrhea resolves, now that he has had the dewormer and is on probiotics?

Blech. Poor guy. Poor rug :001_huh:

We do rice water/rice as tolerated when ours has tummy issues. Cook the rice but in more water than normal and for longer, so it gets extra starchy. When you drain the rice, reserve the water and it should be almost milky looking. You can serve just that (let it cool) or that mixed with the rice. Unseasoned, in case that needs saying.

This works for tummy issues out either end.

We do rice water/rice as tolerated when ours has tummy issues. Cook the rice but in more water than normal and for longer, so it gets extra starchy. When you drain the rice, reserve the water and it should be almost milky looking. You can serve just that (let it cool) or that mixed with the rice. Unseasoned, in case that needs saying.

This works for tummy issues out either end.

This is what we have done in the past and it is a big help. Also, a bit of chicken broth (don't use use the salt-free kind) when you cook the rice or dropper fulls of it will help make things less watery.

Thanks guys. I just cooked him some rice and will be giving him the broth first and hopefully it will help. He is underweight too, so I really don't want him to lose any more weight. Doc thought the probiotics would help the diarrhea, but I think the Keflac (skin antibiotic) is doing a number on his tummy too.

Some people here swear by Fortiflora so I bought some online. I hope our puppy has good gut balance now. She seemed to love the taste!

I tried rice and boiled hamburg/boiled chicken but was shocked when my pup wouldn't eat t. The special GI food had immediate results.

Try giving plain yogurt, too. My pup loved that and also loved sliced banana.... When I fed it to her piece by piece.:001_smile:

Okay so he is refusing the rice and broth, even when I added chicken broth to it. This is a dog who seems to eat everything in sight.

Anyway, spoke to vet and he told me not to over-feed him and to up the probiotics. Hopefully we've seen the worst of it. I think DH is going to have a heart attack if he has diarrhea again on our carpet (new house). Thanks all.

Simple carbs like a roll have always helped my dogs.

And, may I just say SPOT BOT! It's a lifesaver...

Good luck!!!

depending on the breed that could be unwise. Many dogs are also allergic to grain type products.

I'm sure someone has already mentioned it but a plain diet of chicken and rice for at least several days will probably help settle his stomach. A few TBSP of canned pumpkin (not premade pie filling but plain, pureed pumpkin) will probably help.

If I remember correctly, this is the pup you just adopted? A lot of it is probably nerves, so creating a safe "just for him" spot would be nice... whether that is a crate or a room (bonus if it has an easily cleaned floor!) could possibly help if that is the case.

If you are feeding a different food than the shelter (likely) he could have tummy troubles from both the switch in food or he could also be having issues with the food that you are feeding. Some dogs are simply much more delicate, tummy wise, than others.

It also might just be the worms. Dewormers are harsher for some dogs than others (just like humans react to the same medication differently), so it could just be that and you'll just have to wait it out.

ETA:

Just saw that he won't eat rice. Try giving him just plain chicken with a little pumpkin on the side.

Edited by theAmbitiousHousewife

depending on the breed that could be unwise. Many dogs are also allergic to grain type products.

Yes, and, a dog can be allergic to rice too. The broad use of lamb and rice formulas on dogs have brought that to the forefront, according to a couple vets I know. So, I didn't see my suggestion as more wanton than the others, but perhaps it was.

No one should argue my Spot Bot suggestion though. :tongue_smilie:

I came back to check to see how things were.

I remember when our hound had stomach troubles (hounds have very sensitive stomachs) someone here recommended 'Pinnacle' brand dog food -- we had been using Orijen (also the same boardie's suggestion -- hornblower, i think).

Anyway, turns out orijen was too rich for him and he went on pinnacle (grain free, gluten free) and the change was instant. We had been battling diarrhea every 6 weeks or so -- we would go to chicken and pumpkin and it would clear up, we would start the orijen again and it would be back in full force.

We have been on Pinnacle for two years now and he has not had diarrhea once. We used to give him something called Perfect Form twice a week but we don't even do that now.

Maybe you should look into the gluten free grain free kinds of food.

HTH

I came back to check to see how things were.

I remember when our hound had stomach troubles (hounds have very sensitive stomachs) someone here recommended 'Pinnacle' brand dog food -- we had been using Orijen (also the same boardie's suggestion -- hornblower, i think).

Anyway, turns out orijen was too rich for him and he went on pinnacle (grain free, gluten free) and the change was instant. We had been battling diarrhea every 6 weeks or so -- we would go to chicken and pumpkin and it would clear up, we would start the orijen again and it would be back in full force.

We have been on Pinnacle for two years now and he has not had diarrhea once. We used to give him something called Perfect Form twice a week but we don't even do that now.

Maybe you should look into the gluten free grain free kinds of food.

HTH

Thank you! Right now he is on Hill's ID brand which the vet recommended, but it's not gluten free, I don't think. I am going to look up Pinnacle and will give it a try if this doesn't resolve in the next few days.

Thank you! Right now he is on Hill's ID brand which the vet recommended, but it's not gluten free, I don't think. I am going to look up Pinnacle and will give it a try if this doesn't resolve in the next few days.

Any of the Hills/Science Diet food is fairly iffy on quality. If it is the food that is causing it you are definitely going to want something grain free, with a moderate-to lower amount of protein, and only one or two protein sources.

We use 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin puree (just pumpkin, no sugar etc), and it works within several hours. It was suggested to us by my golden retriever's breeder, and we always have a can in the pantry for unexpected "emergencies."

:iagree: Pumpkin is what I give my dog. It works great.

Hope puppy is feeling better. Please research the hooks worms a quiz the vet about long term worm preventitave . Im posting from phone or i could provide links. I would suggest not lwtting kids run barefoot in yard, and imediate cleanup of feces. Best of luck

Any of the Hills/Science Diet food is fairly iffy on quality. If it is the food that is causing it you are definitely going to want something grain free, with a moderate-to lower amount of protein, and only one or two protein sources.

Good to know. I prefer organic, high quality food for my pets, and only went with this one as the vet was so insistent. It's only been 2 days so i will give it a couple more and then pick up a can of pinnacle. Or more likely, dry food.