Menu

Weight loss is SLOW....please encourage me

In 3 months, I've lost 11 pounds. Now, part of me says that isn't really bad. But part of me is REALLY frustrated. At that rate, it'll take me YEARS to get to a decent weight.

To be honest, I'm NOT doing everything I need to and I've been on and off the wagon in that time. I'm a work in progress. But when I think of how long it is going to take me to just get to the halfway mark, I get discouraged.

Please help me rethink.

BTW, I do have someone helping me now. I found a BeachBody coach locally (we ran into each other at the post office). She has helped me considerably. She is keeping up with me. I feel accountable. I need her to move in. LOL

And I'll send her this.

It is just that I *tried* to tell myself that any loss is better than none after getting on the scale this morning (it's been about 2 weeks); but I'm not convinced.

TIA....

The healthy weight loss range is 1 to 2 lbs. per week. Technically, you aren't far off the mark. I've lost 36 lbs. in a 41 week period. I had some nice weeks where I lost close to 2 lbs. But I've had many weeks where I've lost less than 1 lb. I'm 2 lbs. away from my goal and have been for 3 weeks. Talk about being discouraged! But I know I'm not really doing everything I should be doing. I would have probably reached goal already if I was following the plan the way I'm supposed to. But hey, I'm feeling good about what I've lost, even though it has taken so long.

I keep two things in mind:

1. I didn't gain this weight overnight, so I won't lose it that quickly.

2. Since I'm losing so gradually, I have a much higher chance of keeping it off. I've had a lifestyle change and if I keep it up, I'll stay in the healthy weight range which is very important to me.

:grouphug: Don't be discouraged! Just keep going.

That's just slightly less than a pound a week which is a very healthy way to lose weight. Just keep it up, don't get frustrated. You are doing something wonderful for your body. They say that losing 10% of your body weight significantly reduces your risk for all sort of nasty stuff like diabetes, heart disease, cancer and more. 11 pounds is probably very close to (or more than) 5% of your body weight, so consider yourself halfway to a very great change!

When I get frustrated with a weight loss plateau, I go grab something that weighs the amount I've lost and then carry it around a while. 11 pound is a lot of stress off your knees and heart. Once you put it down after a few minutes, you'll really be impressed with the load your body is no longer carrying around.

Keep up the good work! You can do it!

:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

Absolutely some loss is better than none! You've done well!!

Maybe you are not interested in trying anything new, but if you want to have a kick start, watch 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead', and follow the juice fast for a week or two. I lost 10kg in about 2.5weeks. Was so good to have those quick results! I'm not about to do another 2 week fast. It is 3 months since the last, and I've kept the weight off. Just wanted to put this idea out there for you, but feel free to disregard if it doesn't suit your plan right now.:D

I was wrong. It's been 4months. So it is a little slower.

And I guess I feel like I'd be dead before I lost it all going this slow. I have about 80 pounds to go to be at the the way upper end of acceptable (or if I was particularly muscular).

I need to exercise more. I wanted to do mornings but I'm waking EVERY.SINGLE.DAY with a killer headache. GRRRR. And then with four VERY high needs kids.....and I lost my helper (she went to help another foster family who was over ratio with their sibling group). So other than swimming or chasing kids or running around to therapies, I'm not getting it done but rarely.

BTW, I *did* gain most of the weight overnight....but that was 17yrs ago. I gained 70 pounds in 2 months due to a medical condition (under control for 3 years now). So though I *know* it isn't going to come off overnight, I do wish I could do it as fast as Biggest Loser or something. I probably could if I had a few more hours per day.

I really just need to change my attitude! Whether 1/2 pound per week or 17 pounds in a week, I'm losing. YAY!

I just went to my Dr. on friday to discuss my weight loss options and she was telling me that slow and steady is the very best way to go. You may think it's TOO slow, but she told me that my chances of keeping it off long-term are MUCH MUCH better if I make gradual life changes and slowly take the weight off. Losing 100lbs in 6 months sounds great, but is more likely to be gained back.

In 3 months, I've lost 11 pounds. Now, part of me says that isn't really bad. But part of me is REALLY frustrated. At that rate, it'll take me YEARS to get to a decent weight.

To be honest, I'm NOT doing everything I need to and I've been on and off the wagon in that time. I'm a work in progress. But when I think of how long it is going to take me to just get to the halfway mark, I get discouraged.

Please help me rethink.

BTW, I do have someone helping me now. I found a BeachBody coach locally (we ran into each other at the post office). She has helped me considerably. She is keeping up with me. I feel accountable. I need her to move in. LOL

And I'll send her this.

It is just that I *tried* to tell myself that any loss is better than none after getting on the scale this morning (it's been about 2 weeks); but I'm not convinced.

TIA....

We are all works in progress, even your coach. I find it useful to weigh in each day and to use http://www.myfitnesspal.com to track my intake and my calorie expenditure. If you think you have plateaued, start tracking your calories and activities more closely.

I feel your pain. I've been working to loose about 15-20lbs since mid-May and I've lost nothing.

Since then I have been better about food choices (for a while I wasn't getting enough calories). I've also been diligent about getting some cardio (either walking or a bike ride) and strength training. I have noticed changes in my body because of that. But weight loss....NOTHING. It's very frustrating.

So yeah, 11lbs in 3-ish months...you're doing great!!!!! :)

Edited by Heather in OK

Do you track your weight by week? If so calculate your average weight loss for the last four weeks. If you are averaging under 1/2 pound per week then you have plateaued. If not then you are doing great - 1/2 pound to 2 pounds per week is the goal.

Let me know if you have plateaued and I can give you some ideas how to get going again.