Menu

CC - is it worth it? And, any other suggestions for memory curric?

mazakaal

I planned on having the kids memorize a history timeline and some history sentences this year, but it just hasn't happened. It's back on the agenda for next school year. I was just planning on using a timeline and sentences that I came up with and working on our own. Then I saw the new Classical Conversations timeline cards. They look great. I think that the visual would go a long way to helping the kids with their memorization. And I would love to get the guide book to schedule everything out for me, but the whole thing would end up costing around $100. That's a lot of money, imho, for memory work. So, my question is, are the guide and cards really worth the money? And, are there cheaper options out there?

:iagree:If you spend the money and it gets done, then it is worth it.

Other options Living Memory by Andrew Campbell. And, of course as you know, the cheapest option is to do it yourself. ;) If however it won't be done as mommy work and it will be done if it comes from a curriculum, then purchase something.

HTH-

Mandy

The cards are totally worth it, they are amazing. I have seen the previous edition of the guide on Ebay selling realllllly chrap and it is not that different from the new guide. You could also try to get the Veritas Press cards on Ebay too and use that timeline to bring your cost down. The VP timeline is also great in my opinion. The new CC timeline has more Eastern history and geographic info on the back, the VP timeline has more church history. I really think either one would greatly benefit a child's reference point for history.

I had the best of intentions last year, I even bought Living Memory, but it fell by the wayside. This year I spent the money and got the CC guide, the CC history cards, and the science cards used in cycle 3, which is where we are in history. I bought the Cycle 3 cards used and I accessed CC connected to download a ton of stuff for all the cycles. I really like the new CC cards over the VP cards and look forward to more resources for them now that they own the rights to the cards. My kids are already listening to the new timeline and weekly songs for science, history, and geography, so it has been worth the cost to me to see it getting done. YMMV.

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like I'm just going to have to suck it up and buy the guide and cards. :001_smile: I don't want the old ones because I did own some of the VP cards many years ago and wasn't very impressed with them. The new ones from CC really do look great.

If you want to save some money, I would suggest you just buy the cycle 1 audio CDs. It has all the memory work & the entire timeline song CC just released with the cards. My 5 & 3 yr olds have listened to the timeline song for about 3 weeks now in the car & they already have much of it memorized. Plus, you could listen to the history songs & write each week's out & use it for copy work or as a reference.

Is there going to be a cycle 1 app like there was for cycle 3? If so, you could just get that and work from it. I had the VP cards, guide, CD, and so on for cycle 3 for home use and it didn't get done much except in the car, but my DD memorized almost everything in a couple of weeks from the app (I HOPE the prior listening and work helped, but it did all seem to come together with the app).

We did CC last year and my son memorized cold the entire history timeline with handmotions, the handmotions REALLY helped solidify the memorization. What I found most helpful were the VP cards (the old ones - we liked these really well but then again we had no other choices :D), the foundations guide, a CD put out from a CC mom that has all the cards put to familiar songs, and the youtube video showing the handmotions (some weeks our CC tutor forgot to teach the handmotions, or we forgot them, so we regularly checked youtube for these). This year we're doing CC at home. My son recites the timeline once a week or so to not forget it, and we're going to focus on the science this year. We're not planning on buying anything new.