Menu

My turn for a JAWM!

Oh goodness, I feel sick. Totally. I read on FB that someone was sleep training their baby starting this weekend. Personally, I'm not a fan of CIO, we've had to work our way through some attachment related issues. Hey, I know it works for lots of people. Whatever works, although I am happy to share my thoughts on it if asked. I keep my mouth shut otherwise.

But this baby is 2 WEEKS OLD. Time to start letting him CIO, I guess.:banghead::banghead: Newborns get HUNGRY, people!

:grouphug:to the wee one!

I began sleep training ONLY if my 8 month old was stuck getting up at 1am... Now, many years later, I realize those moments are gone and that's a once in a lifetime part of life. I only felt like i had to do this with 2 of my 7 babies... but if I could do it over, I'd hold them more and cherish each moment.

Now... my youngest was born autistic and could not be laid down in a crib or he would hurt himself. I held that boy nearly every night for over 2 years. It was exhausting, but we all made it through!

Hope the mom meets someone who makes a lovely difference in her perspective...

Maybe (hopefully) they don't mean CIO by sleep training.?? I did a routine with my newborns that I called sleep training but it was really a routine of nursing, then play, and then sleep. We didn't do CIO but did try to encourage that sequence for the baby. The routine would work but the actually going to sleep usually involved some snuggling and cuddling/rocking/walking - I just tried not to let them nurse to sleep as that seemed a bad habit.

I hate to hear of someone trying to let a newborn CIO - just not natural.

Maybe (hopefully) they don't mean CIO by sleep training.?? I did a routine with my newborns that I called sleep training but it was really a routine of nursing, then play, and then sleep. We didn't do CIO but did try to encourage that sequence for the baby. The routine would work but the actually going to sleep usually involved some snuggling and cuddling/rocking/walking - I just tried not to let them nurse to sleep as that seemed a bad habit.

I hate to hear of someone trying to let a newborn CIO - just not natural.

I don't know, I hope so. She said that it's time to just put him in the other side of the house and let him cry. Makes me sad. And this is her 4th, so she's a seasoned mama.

I was all set to feel contrary to your post until I got to the "two weeks old" part. Yikes. I read that if your baby sleeps through the night that young, something is wrong because he should be getting hungry and waking up for food. (I am sure there are exceptions, so don't jump on me for that.)

I was all set to feel contrary to your post until I got to the "two weeks old" part. Yikes. I read that if your baby sleeps through the night that young, something is wrong because he should be getting hungry and waking up for food. (I am sure there are exceptions, so don't jump on me for that.)

I was thinking the same thing until I got to the 2 week old part. We did some sleep training when the kids hit 12-18 months. By then I was pregnant again and needed extra space in the bed.

Kelly

Maybe they are working towards a routine instead of a schedule. I did the Eat Activity Sleep You method with my babies, and will admit to waking them up to feed them during the day starting at 2 weeks. I put up with a lot of rude remarks for waking my babies up, but they honestly never cried about it, and they had days/nights worked out early.

So maybe she is doing that kind of sleep training.