Menu

Baby Bike Seat

Which baby seat on an adult bike?  

1. 1. Which baby seat on an adult bike?

• iBert Safe-T-Seat/other front-mount baby seat
    • Traditional rear-mount baby seat
    • Other ...

Question for the hive: We have a trailer on our bike (well, it can be switched between mine and dh's bike), but currently we have our 6 year old and 1 1/2 year old in it, which is a tight squeeze. Ds#3 won't be big enough to ride in the bike lanes with us on his own until probably next summer (he can manage his 16" bike pretty well, but we want him on ds#1's old 20" before he goes on the rode for visibility purposes). That said, I'm looking at a baby seat for our bikes for dd. That way, ds#3 can ride in the trailer along with whatever we are carrying with us (library books, picnic stuff, groceries), and dd can be on the bike itself. When our first two were little, we always had a traditional baby bike seat on the back of the bike, but now I'm wondering about the iBert Safe-T-Seat that attaches to the front of the bike, just behind the handle bars. Has anyone used the iBert? Our local bike store only sells the traditional, back-of-the-bike baby seats, so I can't go compare them in person. So, any opinions here? Front or back? iBert or traditional baby seat on the bike?

I do not have any experience as a parent but my mother had a bike seat for me as a child that mounted in front and from what I remember looked similiar to the iBert. It worked great. Mom carried me around our neighborhood alot on it when I was little.

That looks TOTALLY AWESOME!!!! Man I wish I would have known about that when mine were little. I had the kind that mounted on the back and she was always kicking me LOL Plus I couldn't ever sit right on my seat so major tushy pain :)

I say get !!!

I have a bobike mini that I bought off of e-bay. Dd and I both love it. There is a universal mounting bracket that worked on my mountain bike and will also work on the skinny little bike stems too. I wish it were easier to find here! Oh, I don't have super long legs, but there is no problem with leg room while peddling. Dh might have to adjust a little, but not a lot!

I have a Bobike and it's ok. I thought about buying this: http://www.amazon.com/WeeRide-Kangaroo-Child-Bike-Seat/dp/B000FIH0EG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341525512&sr=8-1&keywords=child+bike+seat because the reviews and it looks safer. I prefer my little ones in front. In fact I had a bad bike accident a couple of weeks ago with a bike trailer (holding my 4 and 7 yos) and a bobike up front with my 20 mo. I skidded out on gravel where the city had a very poorly fixed manhole. I caught my LO up front and was able to grab and cushion her. I could not have done that with her up front. Thankfully she also had on her helmet. My knee was pretty badly injured and my ear was scraped badly, but I'm thankful for the front seat. That was my first bike wreck in about 2 decades. I was embarrassed and badly upset by it. I am normally a VERY safe and conscientious biker, but the roads and sidewalks here are very badly cared for and there are no bike lanes.

Other. Why not get a tag along for the 6yo and put the 2 littles in the trailer? A baby in a seat plus a trailer just sounds very heavy to me. Of course that assumes that you and your dh will both be going biking.

I'd opt for this route, too. You can get used tag alongs. We really enjoy ours - it's much easier than a trailer to pull and navigate roads and curbs and such. I wouldn't personally bike with a trailer plus a baby on-board, either in front of or behind me. Too much to think about and heavy, as another person said. I've seen moms try to bike with "the whole family" plus have a dog on leash, and it always makes me shake my head. Safety is a high priority for me. There will be seasons you can bike longer distances with the dc, but this may not be the one.

I'd opt for this route, too. You can get used tag alongs. We really enjoy ours - it's much easier than a trailer to pull and navigate roads and curbs and such. I wouldn't personally bike with a trailer plus a baby on-board, either in front of or behind me. Too much to think about and heavy, as another person said. I've seen moms try to bike with "the whole family" plus have a dog on leash, and it always makes me shake my head. Safety is a high priority for me. There will be seasons you can bike longer distances with the dc, but this may not be the one.

:iagree:This, sorry. When my kids were little, I just read so many horror stories about the bike seats.