Menu

Frizzy Hair ~ Keratin Treatments, Relaxing, Henna ~ Suggestions?

The older I get, the frizzier my hair gets.

I dislike using the straightening iron other than for special occasions. I notice more hair loss when I use the iron.

I have been getting keratin treatments every few months. At first, they were great and I was very happy with them. Now, after about two years or so (maybe longer), they're not as effective as they first were - not that it doesn't work at all - helps somewhat, just not nearly as good as the first several times. I don't understand why. I'm considering now having them done anymore since they're not exactly cheap.

A friend suggested having my hair relaxed. I don't know much about it. My hair is certainly not curly - just frizzy at the top and slightly wavy overall. I don't particularly care for all the chemicals.

My hair is getting more gray and although I haven't wanted to dye it, I'm now considering henna. Wondering if that would help the frizz, particularly since it's mainly the gray hairs that are frizzy. :confused:

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

My hair is mostly gray now. I like the color so I don't dye it, but I don't like the coarse texture (it's harder to control!). The biggest improvement has come from not using shampoo/anything that lathers. I started using Wen "cleansing conditioners" and now my hair is soft again.

Do you use regular shampoo? Maybe there are some non-lathering products available where you live and you could try something like that first. I would be concerned about how much damage a chemical straightener could do to your hair. I've also read that you have to be really careful about using henna on gray hair because gray hair is more porous and could end up really orange.

Edited by Laurie

This totally amazing!! --:D:D:D

http://www.garnierusa.com

Garnier Fructis

Sleek & Shine

Leave-In Conditioning Cream

PRODUCT INFORMATIONRESULTS

Get the most intense smoothing yet from Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth Leave-In Conditioning Cream.

Now it locks out frizz for a full 3 days, even in 97% humidity.

FORTIFIED FRUIT SCIENCE

Ultra-smoothing Argan Oil from Morocco

Apricot Oil

How to use: Apply a quarter-sized portion to damp or dry hair. Use fingers or a comb to distribute throughout hair. Do not rinse. Perfect for everyday use.

Guest mtaylor

I had frizzy unmanageable hair too, I used a lot of products and finally I got rid of the frizz with a hair oil, it's Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil which has helped me a lot, it makes my hair strong, smoothes the hair, reduces Frizz and leaves hair healthy, shiny and resilient. If you are interested you can check it out at safrons.com . Good luck. :) :)

I had frizzy unmanageable hair too, I used a lot of products and finally I got rid of the frizz with a hair oil, it's Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil which has helped me a lot, it makes my hair strong, smoothes the hair, reduces Frizz and leaves hair healthy, shiny and resilient. If you are interested you can check it out at safrons.com . Good luck. :) :)

This is what I was going to recommend. Combine it with Pureology Shampoo and you've got a winner! DON'T use ANYTHING with sulfates. No Suave, no Walmart shampoo, not even Biologe. Here's a link to Pureology and here's a link to the Moroccan oil.

HTH!

Dorinda

I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread, but this is my problem, too. Wavy, frizzy hair that is also incredibly thick. If I let it air-dry it is super bushy and frizzy. I get good results drying it and straightening it, but this takes entirely too long, especially for summer hair that winds up in a 'tail anyway.

What I want is a product that I can put on it that will let it air-dry without frizz, if such a thing exists. I haven't found it yet. It would also be nice if this product was not $20+ dollars for .3 oz. :tongue_smilie: I will try out the Garnier product mentioned above.

About three years ago I stopped brushing my hair (dyed, course, thick, wavy) and my daughter's hair (not course, thick, curly). Instead, I comb my hair only just prior to showering and my daughter combs hers in the shower between shampoo and conditioner). I also shampoo every 2 to 3 days, only shampoo my scalp, and use conditioner on my hair. My daughter and I both use Pantene's curly hair products including the spray on curly stuff (gel/conditioner).

I highly recommend the book Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey.

Thank you all so much. :grouphug:

I've recently used this product for The Snork Maiden's hair, which was in terrible condition - dry, often ratty, splitting. It's made a massive difference. I couldn't believe how silky it was afterwards.

This looks good. :)

My hair is mostly gray now. I like the color so I don't dye it, but I don't like the coarse texture (it's harder to control!). The biggest improvement has come from not using shampoo/anything that lathers. I started using Wen "cleansing conditioners" and now my hair is soft again.

Do you use regular shampoo? Maybe there are some non-lathering products available where you live and you could try something like that first. I would be concerned about how much damage a chemical straightener could do to your hair. I've also read that you have to be really careful about using henna on gray hair because gray hair is more porous and could end up really orange.

I also dislike the coarse texture. My hair has always been very thick and often coarse, but now that there's more and more gray, the coarseness has obviously increased.

I use sulfate-free shampoos.

Like you, I'm quite cautious about damage from a chemical straightener.

And yes, I've also heard that henna makes the hair red, except for some brands that are not pure henna, such as the ones from Lush or the mixes. That's all something I know very little about, however.

Suave has a keratin line that is really good. Maybe you could try it? It will save you some money at least.

I have found that temporary color glaze helps with the frizzies too. I get that done at my salon.

Will look into the Suave keratin line.

I like the idea of a temporary color glaze. Wonder how long it will last.

I use a product called mixed chicks leave in conditioner for dd's hair and it works well. I used to have to buy it online at their website but now they sell it at Target. I would still check out the website for tips on dealing with frizz.

Thank you. :)

None of their products have helped me. Not sure if I tried that specific one, but I haven't been happy with their stuff. :confused:

I had frizzy unmanageable hair too, I used a lot of products and finally I got rid of the frizz with a hair oil, it's Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil which has helped me a lot

Thank you. This looks good.

This is what I was going to recommend. Combine it with Pureology Shampoo and you've got a winner! DON'T use ANYTHING with sulfates. No Suave, no Walmart shampoo, not even Biologe. Here's a link to Pureology and here's a link to the Moroccan oil.

Thank you. The Pureology shampoo is very expensive (at least it is on amazon), but if it works, I'm willing to try it.

What I want is a product that I can put on it that will let it air-dry without frizz, if such a thing exists. I haven't found it yet.

Me too. You're not hijacking. This is my challenge also. I prefer to be low-maintenance on the whole. I don't mind using my CHI iron for special occasions, but not for daily use. I don't want to use high heat on a daily or very regular basis.

I cannot go without Sebastian Potion 9.

Will look into it.

Dawn, you look beautiful, btw. :grouphug:

I highly recommend the book Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey.

I really, really wanted the Curly Girl book approach to work for me. I tried it several years ago for a few months. The results were not good. Didn't work for me. I wish they had.

If anyone thinks of anything else, please share. :D

Thank you. The Pureology shampoo is very expensive (at least it is on amazon), but if it works, I'm willing to try it.

:D

:iagree:

Here's how I look at it. Pureology is expensive compared to the grocery store shampoos and conditioners, but, it works whereas the others don't. It will also last longer because it's super thick, you don't have to use as much. I buy new shampoo/conditioner every 4-5 months. If I use the grocery store brands, it's more often.

Everyone is always asking me what I use on my hair, where I get it cut, but when I tell them, they're appalled by how much I pay. I have tried EVERYTHING (and I mean everything) and Pureology with Moroccan Oil is the only thing that works for my hair. When I can't spend as much (DH absolutely will not let our girls use Pureology until they get a job:lol:), I use Biologe by Matrix, but it will very quickly dry out your hair after the first couple of uses because of the sulfates. That's the trick, you have to buy shampoo without sulfates. I would recommend you try the Pureology in the purple bottle (Hydrate). I like the purple shampoo and the green conditioner. Some people like the green REPAIR shampoo, but I don't. It weighs down my hair too much. You might want to buy the travel sizes and experiment with what you'd like. My youngest liked the Super smooth, but I didn't. It didn't get rid of that course texture you're talking about.

:grouphug:

HTH!

Frizzy Girls UNITE!!!

Dorinda

I just bought the pureology hydrate before opening this thread! A friend recommended it to me. We'll see how it works. I have crazy hair. It's very thick and frizzy. I have red tones in my hair (most of my family are red heads) and there are some hairs that are actually the thick, wiry red hairs many redheads have. They're weird because they're just in random places.

I have aragan oil that cost me a fortune, but it makes my hair look greasy, even if I just use a little. I have to say it's amazing on my face though.

Here's how I look at it. Pureology is expensive compared to the grocery store shampoos and conditioners, but, it works whereas the others don't.

:grouphug:

HTH!

Frizzy Girls UNITE!!!

Dorinda

Dorinda, your post is so incredibly helpful. Thank you. :grouphug:

And I love the "Frizzy Girls UNITE" encouragement. :D