Menu

Notebooking with a child who does not draw or hand write well?

Michelle T

I would like for DS to do some notebooking or lapbooking. I think that would really help cement knowledge for him. But he has some severe LD's that make fine motor skills like drawing or hand writing very difficult. So doing the typical notebook pages, where he draws something and writes about it are out.

Any ideas for me? He does write on the computer, but how would I liven up the pages? Is there some way to do an entire notebook page on the computer? For example, if I wanted him to do a narration on what he learned about ancient Greece, how could he liven it up beyond just writing?

Michelle T

You could use a program like works, word or open office to add clip art, scanned images ect. onto the page. Make a border around it ect.

Or maybe try one of many the scrapbooking software that are available. I've seen then in lots of computer and office supply shops even walmart! You can add your pics, text and pretty it up really easily with them. :001_smile:

Read something. Do an oral narration. Type it up (you or him). Add a picture. We have found the most interesting pictures by using google and the image search option. Although, be forwarned...we have found some very, very interesting pictures;)

If you type in free digital scrapbooking sets you should be able to find some free. But, I think they can just make stuff more difficult.

My Aspie is 11 and has a difficult time with too much handwriting and doesn't enjoy drawing too well. This works well for him.

Could you combine printing out a typed narration with some cut&paste pictures instead of drawings?....or stickers? I saw that RR has some neat history & science stickers, and I thought they'd be great for my ds's notebook. ...or stencils???

Now that we've finally got a basement again, I could pick up a set of encyclopedias. We've never had the room to store them, but this would be so great for my 10 yods who really struggles with handwriting.

I had heard of people doing this years ago, but had forgotten, so thank you for the reminder.

Blessings,

DanaCO (was DeeFL)

What about helping him to learn to use a digital camera. I know he probably won't be able to take a picture of the Parthenon, but you could get creative (if you do the Greek alphabet he could take pictures of something beginning with alpha, beta, etc.).

For lapbooking Hands of a Child sells Type It In lapbooks that you (or a child) can type the answer into the booklets and then print them off. They only sell them for the ebook version and only cost $2.00 more to get this feature. Not all of their items have this feature, but a LOT of them do. Just make sure you click the appropriate one when ordering.

You can't save the pages you type up unless you have the full version of publisher. If you don't have it, remember to print of which ever booklet(s) he made before you log out of the program.

I LOVE this feature, especially for the Template Pack. With this pack I can make up any lapbook we want to on our own. :)

Any ideas for me? He does write on the computer, but how would I liven up the pages? Is there some way to do an entire notebook page on the computer? For example, if I wanted him to do a narration on what he learned about ancient Greece, how could he liven it up beyond just writing?

I have found WinterPromise's pages to be helpful for this, because the format provides prompts and tiny spaces for images, or consists of puzzles, or simply items to read. I can fill in my child's answers, or he can Google image search for clip art to paste on.

But I would also look into digital scrapbooking, and/or having him make a website. It could be a simple blog, or an actual site. If he uses a WYSIWYG editor, it wouldn't be any harder than using a graphic design program.

I see no one else has suggested this, so, what computer are you using? My favorite WYSIWYG is Freeway. It's super intuitive to use and your kid can learn it by fiddling around. But it's expensive, and for the Mac. There are some free ones here:

http://www.thefreecountry.com/webmaster/htmleditors.shtml

For digital scrapbooking, just Google search that term. You'll find a lot. There are even some homeschoolers with info on doing this.

http://homeschool-books.com/xcart/book/free-digital-scrapbook-kit.html

I hope this helps. It's a whole different skill, but definitely one worth investing in, particularly, I think, if you have a kid who can't write.

I would like for DS to do some note booking or lap booking. I think that would really help cement knowledge for him. But he has some severe LD's that make fine motor skills like drawing or hand writing very difficult. So doing the typical notebook pages, where he draws something and writes about it are out.

Michelle T

Hi... do you have publisher on your computer?? You and ds can learn to make your own notebook pages and lap book folds this way... if you have it or even word I bet you could come up with something!

Use text boxes.....add designs or borders.... its all you need to create a nice notebook page... and then he can just type it up his work as you go.... print that bad boy out and whala!! Note book page!

It will take some getting used to... creating them... but if you both sit and figure it out together... I bet he could do his own at somepoint... no kidding.....

Hope you find an enjoyable solution!!! Peace~

www.Handsofachild.com/shop offers ebooks with type it in features for reluctant writers. Go to that website to download samples.

Wow, this looks great! I did a regular lapbook from HOAC with DS in the past, but he couldn't even begin to do the writing, cutting, pasting required, and I ended up doing almost the whole thing.

Have you used one of these Type it in books? How did it work out?

Michelle T

Have you used one of these Type it in books? How did it work out?

Michelle T

I have used them (please see here for more information on them from this thread. I don't want to retype) :)

My dc haven't used this feature yet, but I am sure I will let them down the road. I have used it to create booklets though and it works wonderfully! I am very impressed with this feature.;)

If your son doesn't like to cut, I would suggest cutting and folding the booklets for him in advance if possible.

He can use the type-it in feature to make the booklets and maybe you both can sit down and cut them out together. You could comment along the way saying, "Oh I didn't know such and such." while you are cutting his booklets. I bet he would enjoy sharing that way. :)