Menu

Wall stencils? Help me...

I'm not even sure if wall stencils are what I'm looking for.

We're in the process of remodeling, and younger dd wants an ocean room. She loves whale sharks and wants one, as well as other ocean life, painted on the walls.

Dh is an amazing artist and will free hand if necessary, but I'm trying to find a template or stencil. We've never done anything like this before and we're having trouble finding anything using Google. I can find some fish, but nothing close to a whale shark.

Is stencil even the right word, or are they called something else? Does anyone have any rec's for what to use and where to look? TIA!!

Horton, I sell Uppercase Living and we have two options: decorative wall vinyl (and I'll have to see if we have a colorful whale or shark) and re-positionable photo vinyl (if you found a copyright free photo you liked; try Dreamtime.com). I've done some great photo vinyls. With these options you'd get thin vinyl that you rub on the wall. My site is www.WallThatAndMore.com and you can PM me if you'd like more information.

Horton, I sell Uppercase Living and we have two options: decorative wall vinyl (and I'll have to see if we have a colorful whale or shark) and re-positionable photo vinyl (if you found a copyright free photo you liked; try Dreamtime.com). I've done some great photo vinyls. With these options you'd get thin vinyl that you rub on the wall. My site is www.WallThatAndMore.com and you can PM me if you'd like more information.

I've looked into the vinyl decals but we have textured walls so I wondered how that would work. Are they like stickers or is there more to them?

Have you considered a mural wallpaper? We have a moonscape wallpaper up in ds12's room. We love it!

It's like this one:

http://www.creativewallcovering.com/pc/cbrk-8019m/189/Earth+%26+Moonscape+Photo+Wall+Murals.html

There are so many out there, you can get a great ocean type view.

I've actually never done wallpaper of any kind before so I haven't thought about it. I'll look into it. Thanks for the info.

I've never done it myself, but I've heard of people using an overhead projector to project an image onto a wall, then sketching the projection. Where you can find an overhead projector these days, I don't know.

My sister, a teacher, said the same thing but I don't know where to find a projector either.:tongue_smilie:

I've looked into the vinyl decals but we have textured walls so I wondered how that would work. Are they like stickers or is there more to them?

I have seen some pictures from different demonstrators that have VERY textured walls with beautiful applications. It might take a little more work, and there are ways to do it (hair dryers, warm wet clothes, and irons are the top items to try using), but it can certainly be done. Now, I'm referencing mostly lettering and regular embellishments, not necessarily the two items mentioned above. Do you want to send me a photo of your textured walls (in good lighting) so I can give an opinion on whether or not it might work? If so, my email address is nwjuliana-at-yahoo-dot-com.

Edited by milovaný

What a fun room!

If your walls are textured, then you might have to consider putting on a smooth texture even if you go with the stickers. We tried to use stickers once on a textured wall and it looked awful.

If modifying the walls is not an option, could she use big posters? Frame them in round portal-like frames.

Houzz.com is a good idea source if you click kids and type in "ocean".

Here's an example of UL vinyl on a highly textured wall. I could see where a lower-quality and maybe especially older vinyl might not go on well. Do you know how old the vinyl was that you tried to install? I've noticed a big difference in the ease-of-application on vinyl that's older, like if it's been sitting in a box or on a shelf for any length of time. UL cuts their vinyl to order, so it arrives as new as possible so should go on more easily.

post-4372-13535087018438_thumb.jpg

Edited by milovaný

I stenciled fish in our bathroom. It's been about 12 years, so I don't remember exactly what I did. I think their was an adhesive in a spray bottle to spray on the stencil to make it stick to the wall. I think I used a very thick paint and stiff brush. When the paint was dry, I peeled the stencil off the wall.

I am NOT AT ALL crafty. So if I can do this, anybody can!

I got everything at Michaels.

Karen

That's another idea (more like stenciling and not vinyl) -- purchase something like this, apply it, paint over it, then remove the vinyl. Then you can handpaint the shape you left behind in a colorful or any other way you'd like! The attached chair picture was done that way.

post-4372-13535087018785_thumb.jpg