Menu

I need some new "big picture" approach books...

KIN

I'm feeling the need to ease up on our school day (some how, some way), and yet I can't figure out how. I'm thinking maybe some reading of other approaches or other ideas besides WTM. What other homeschooling books do you recommend to read besides WTM? Thanks!

"For the Children's Sake" by Susan Schaeffer Macauley explains and fleshes out some of Charlotte Mason's philosophy and has a very encouraging tone about loving children as people.

"Educating the Whole-Hearted Child" by the Clarksons discusses several methods, but encourages a literature-rich and creativity-filled home and deep relationships within the family.

Hmm...I love "Norms and Nobility" for an emphasis on the virtue-forming side of classical education, rather than the how-tos. But it's not an easy read.

Jami

I agree with the suggestion to read For the Children's Sake. An oldie but a goodie.

Also, since you are looking at "easing up", you might look at Bluedorn's Teaching the Trivium and even Latin Centered Curriculum (both books have a "less is more" philosophy, although quite different in implementation.)

I would take a virtual break. I have found the boards here helpful, but at times it's easy to get sucked in, time sneaks away, the grass seems greener on the other side, one can lose sight of their personal goals. Journal or make a list of how you picture your school day and your goals for your children this year. Look at the materials you used last year, enjoyed, and went smoothly - don't fix something that isn't broken. Watch for an overlapping in materials, something you can condense or is there another materials that would be more efficient? What products give you the most bang for your time? Which seem like busy work? Then think about how frequently YOU think each should be done to meet YOUR goals. Are you working on skills now that could be more efficiently absorbed in a year or two? What is best for your teaching style and your kids personality? Best of luck to you.

How Children Learn, How Children Fail, Instead of Education, What do I do on Monday, and, of course, Teach Your Own. (Seems to me there's another one, but I can't find its name in my brain cell.)

Or Mary Hood's Relaxed Homeschooling.

Another good Charlotte Mason book (like For the Children's Sake) is A Charlotte Mason Companion by Andreola. This method helped me tremendously to put the joy and therefore love of learning back into school by enjoying nature, art, music, reading good books just because, etc, instead of just plowing through the serious stuff.

Real Learning by Elizabeth Foss

Jessica - is Real Learning generic enough for a protestant homeschooler? I went to look it up on Amazon and saw this description:

Cathy Duffy, author of Christian Home Educators' Curriculum Manual

Elizabeth Foss does a masterful job translating Charlotte Mason's philosophy of education into practical methods for Catholic home educators.

I have had this book in my Amazon cart more times than I can count, but was always unsure - you're glowing review, and the fact that you are YOU - means that I'm doing some shopping today!

Penny

PS: Also, Pocketful of Pinecones is a lovely, fun read as well as other CM books.