Menu

7th grade logic??

HollyDay

In seventh grade, I had my daughter work on several of the Mind Benders books put out by Critical Thinking Press. We also worked on logic puzzles that are available on news stands. A fun add on is the game SET.

Regards,

Kareni

Well it depends on what you want and what you've done so far.

Most folks start with some logic puzzles:

Mindbenders (we did these on CD rom)

Lollipop logic

Critical Thinking books

Then some teach Informal Logic:

Fallacy Detective

Teaching Toolbox

Art of Argument

Debate classes

At some point you switch to Formal Logic:

Introductory Logic / Intermediate Logic

Traditional Logic I and II

Some folks even get into

Socratic Logic

Material Logic

This is just a list of ideas, not a list of all things to do / use.

hth

All I can say is be very very careful when looking for a "Logic" program as most of the children's programs have a theological axe to grind.

The very first lesson of Douglas Wilson's "Introductory Logic" asks if questions such as the following are "truth statements":

"The Bible is the word of God".

And they expect an answer in the affirmative.

Now someone may believe (or disbelieve) that the Bible is the "word of God" but such statements are not provable (or disprovable) by the laws of science, of which Logic is one branch. It is a distortion and perversion of the science of Logic to undermine its foundation with such examples. Such examples do not belong in a Logic program, unless it is pointed to as a statement that falls into the category of "scientifically unprovable".

Likewise:

The Qu'ran is the word of God...is NOT statement that can be proved true or false using Logic. These are theological questions that are beyond Logic.

Also, one of the elementary school aged Logic books (I forgot no which one) drags the abortion issue into early lessons in a very age inappropriate way.

Good luck, and if you find a program that actually teaches Logic, rather than pushing a particular religious perspective or engaging in "cultural warfare", I hope you'll let us know.

Bill