Menu

The land hurricane that took down our forum

it was a bizarre storm. I've lived here all my life and I don't recall seeing one that acted like this. The lightening was continuous - like someone was flicking a light switch on and off constantly. We were fairly protected from the wind, but I could tell there was a lot of it. But mostly I noticed how strangely the lightening acted compared with other storms.

Most everyone I know lost their power for 24hrs or more (some are starting to come back). Some will not have it back for a few more days, we're told... so I feel very lucky that we got ours back in 3hrs. We had church w/out power this morning... it was oppressively hot, even by 9:30am, but I was glad to be there together with my church family.

Our power is still out. We've been told it could be Saturday before it is back on. That also means no running water for a family of 7. Thankfully, we can camp out at my parents' house which does have electricity and running water!

We haven't lost our food (thanks to some quick thinking and stockpiling of ice). I will be heading out to get dry ice tomorrow to hopefully save as much of the organic, grass-fed beef from the 1/4 cow we purchased...along with the chicken and shrimp as we can. So far, nothing has thawed in the freezer. We will have our refrigerated goods moved to my parents' fridge tonight.

Luckily here in SE VA it wasn't so bad. Lots of lightening and some driving rain that somehow broke the seal on my dd's windows and was leaking in from between the inside pane of glass and the handle you use to raise and lower the window (the top of the handle, not the bottom like you'd think) . Our trampoline was also slid about 15ft across my yard by the wind, luckily it didn't tip over like the neighbors trampoline did though.

We just had another one go through that seemed it was almost worse -- at least it seemed to last longer than Friday's storm. More trees down in our neighborhood but the electricity stayed on this time. We have more damage among our neighbors tonight (downed trees) from this one than the Friday storm.

We just had another one go through that seemed it was almost worse -- at least it seemed to last longer than Friday's storm. More trees down in our neighborhood but the electricity stayed on this time. We have more damage among our neighbors tonight (downed trees) from this one than the Friday storm.

I hope everyone is okay. I see the storms on the radar and will keep an eye on them.

It's coming through here now. No rain to speak of yet, just a lot of rumbling :(

Hope we don't lose power, we didn't Friday. We didn't have any damage on Friday, but my parents lost a 30-40 year old black walnut and probably a 20 year old crab apple tree. Their yard is a mess ... and they don't have power yet either.

I'm north of where the storm really picked up steam, but I started watching it across the radar once the warnings fired up just south of here. It was one monster of a storm!

While I would not want the wind, nor the loss in power, we could desperately use the rain. The last time we had a really good rain storm was back at the end of May. The grass in my mostly shaded lawn is turning brown which almost never happens and we've only mowed the lawn three (yes, 3!) times this summer.

it was a bizarre storm. I've lived here all my life and I don't recall seeing one that acted like this. The lightening was continuous - like someone was flicking a light switch on and off constantly. We were fairly protected from the wind, but I could tell there was a lot of it. But mostly I noticed how strangely the lightening acted compared with other storms.

Most everyone I know lost their power for 24hrs or more (some are starting to come back). Some will not have it back for a few more days, we're told... so I feel very lucky that we got ours back in 3hrs. We had church w/out power this morning... it was oppressively hot, even by 9:30am, but I was glad to be there together with my church family.

I've lived in this area my whole life as well and have never seen a storm like it either!

Conversely, our parish had power but we just got our power back on at home late last night.