Menu

I've got $100.00 what do I get? Help!

Parrothead

Okay, I haven't purchased any curriculum for the coming school year. I know, I know. I've only got six weeks left. Like with a lot of people money is tight and I'm going to have to buy books in stages. Today I've got $100.00 to make smart purchases.

I've got enough left over math to get us through until the middle of October. That can be purchased later. I've got enough reading material for reading time to last until about the same time. So that is good too.

I've got nothing for science (physics), history (modern times), spelling (AAS is $29.00 + shipping), writing (I want WWE but it is expensive) or grammer (FLL 4 isn't out yet).

We have squat for a library so all my books have to be purchased.

Is there a less expensive classical writing choice?

I have to purchase a book called Complete Library Skills. Library skills are required by the state. This book is $13.00 from Amazon and takes 3 weeks to ship. That will be the first purchase. If I can spend $12.00 I'll get free shipping.

Please tell me what you'd order first. Maybe I should get everything I can for LA. Help!

Do you have to complete that particular book for library skills? Can you borrow the book, see what it covers and just practice those skills at your (cruddy) library?

Do you use both MUS and Singapore for math? I know you don't need to purchase more math until October, but perhaps you can get by with one or the other, not both?

Definitely check the sale and swap site on this board for good deals.

Do you have the Well-Trained mind? Her suggestions for 4th grade writing are fairly straightforward - dictation and copywork (use books you already have). Perhaps you can borrow Well-Trained mind on inter-library loan, if you don't have it? Or read the articles about writing under WTM site resources for ideas.

I wouldn't purchase anything for 4th grade physics. Read some good books about scientists, inventors, Way Things Work. (can you get anything at your library - or borrow from other home-schoolers?) Supplement with hands-on demonstrations and "experiments". You can get ideas for those by searching on the internet.

What is AAS (spelling)? If money were really tight, I wouldn't spend $$ on spelling curriculum. Just do copywork and keep a notebook of any words your student has trouble with (friend, their, etc.) Any words she misspells in her writing can be assigned as spelling words.

Everyone has their own preferences regarding how much curriculum they need to school their children. Hope some others chime in with suggestions.

Cindy

I would purchase your spelling, the library skills book your state requires, Story of the World 4 from Amazon (to get the free shipping), and use something like Writing Trails in American History for writing. Writing Trails also teaches vocabulary and dictionary skills.

http://www.logosschool.com/materials/shop/item.asp?itemid=35&catid=

I think this would get you off to a good start.

Do you have to complete that particular book for library skills? Can you borrow the book, see what it covers and just practice those skills at your (cruddy) library?

This is the only library skills book I've ever found. And it is a series that builds on previous skills. For some reason this state requires library skills for K-12. I have to have something to "show progress" in the end of year portfolio. Seems there is more to library skills than the Dewey Decimal System. LOL

I've got a copy of WTM. I need to read it again. Thanks for the reminder.

Unfortunately we're the only homeschooler within about 100 miles. Well, that isn't exactly true. There are two other families in town, but they are very conservative Christians. Sadly, once they found out we are Catholic, they ditched us pretty quick. It is something I don't really get, but I'm not going to push them into accepting us. So no help there.

After trying three other spelling curriculums, AAS is the only one that works for dd. Believe me, if I felt there was any other way to acheive the same results cheaper I'd go for it. Dd is not in any way a natural speller.

I would purchase your spelling, the library skills book your state requires, Story of the World 4 from Amazon (to get the free shipping), and use something like Writing Trails in American History for writing.

Writing Trails. I have to look into that one. Is it a classical writing program? I'll follow your link and see. Thanks.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've got to remember to cover the basics, and get the month of September worked out.

Not sure about specific programs but just wanted to give you the heads up on some good sources for used books:

http://www.homeschoolclassifieds.com

http://www.vegsource.com/homeschool

http://www.albris.com

Don't forget you can read many books on-line for free from google books or the gutenberg (spelling??) project and other sources that are escaping me.

http://www.amblesideonline.com has alot of the sources for on-line books.

Good luck!

Rod and Staff 3 or 4 for grammar (get the free samples to pick which level to use) and writing. This is so reasonably priced, and a very solid program.

Writing Strands 3 for writing if you end up using Rod and Staff 3. This costs less than $20 IIRC and will keep you going for quite a while. You might want to use this to augment RS even if you get grade 4, because it is not as dry and allows room for creativity within fairly precise assignments.

Real Science 4 Kids Level 1 Physics bundle if you can swing it. That pushes you over the limit a bit, so if not, I would get the Jan Van Cleave book "Physics for Every Kid" and also Tiner's "Exploring the World of Physics."

Copywork and dictation will take you pretty far in spelling, punctuation, and usage. I do not have a natural speller myself, but IEW's spelling program has really helped her. It's really pricey, though, and I hardly ever see it come up on the sale boards, so I think that you should stick with what works for you.

For history, SOTW4 is great. I think that you could come up with a pretty good living books program for the modern period, though, with even a poor library.

Maybe "Tom Sawyer" for ante bellum Missouri,

"Rifles for Watie" and a bio of Lincoln and one of Robert E. Lee for the Civil War

"An Old Fashioned Girl" and "Counting on Grace" for post war reform periods

Marrin's "The Yanks are Coming" for WWI

"Cheaper by the Dozen" for the roaring 20s

"Number the Stars" for WWII.

I would also look for "The Usborne History of the 20th Century" to use as a spine if you don't want to buy SOTW4. It has short, engaging passages and good illustrations.

Thanks everyone. I think I've got it. Since we started this homeschool journey, I've always been able to make a massive order at one time. Having to pick and choose from the things I had bookmarked or on wish lists sent me into a bit of a panic.

Tomorrow I'm going to go over my lists and divide them up into smaller lists.

Today I bought the spelling from the AAS website. From Amazon I got:

First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind, Level 4 Student Workbook

Awesome Experiments in Force & Motion (Awesome Experiments in)

Complete Library Skills, Grade 4

The Story of the World: History for the Classical Child, Volume 4: The Modern Age: From Victoria's Empire to the End of the USSR

Eyewitness: Force & Motion

The Story of the World Activity Book Four: The Modern Age: From Victoria's Empire to the End of the USSR

Thanks Cadam for putting together that cart. I was able to get free shipping for everything from Amazon so it worked out better there.

Thanks again everyone for getting me out of panic mode and thinking more clearly.

I use Evan Moor books for a ton of my stuff, and have gotten them so cheap on half.com I've been amazed--that is where I've gotten most of my writing, and a ton of history which is what I'm doing, that and unit studies, plus lit, a lot of what I'm getting from the libraries.

Plus, now I do believe all libraries in the nation are linked to do interlibrary loans--you can request your librarian get you a book as long as it is available from any other library in the nation. Sometimes they charge $0.50, sometimes not (I don't know what the criteria is for whether or not they do), and I don't think they let you renew, but I think they give it to you for a month (I haven't done this in a while). I am doing this for Early Amer Hist, first explorers through civil war, and I have found I have much more than I need to do a very in depth study--could do a year on each era if I wanted. People on this board have given me amazing lists, and I'm sure they could you too.

On half.com, btw, if you buy from the same seller, you get half off each additional purchase, which you don't get on Amazon, and I found a lot of the big ones sell a ton of Evan Moor, and that type. Also, the Evan Moor site lets you look through most of their books.

I also spent most of my money last year on a major investment in Usborne. I got their major encyclopedias (contact them about hosting an online show--you email everyone you know, and anything they buy, or you buy, earns you free books), and we have those as reference and for use as textbooks when we need it. Their internet linked are amazing, and my daughter loves them.

As for spelling, I agree, don't buy anything, you can make that up really easily, or probably find something online for their age. I finally broke down and bought Spelling Power for a whopping $50, and found my daughter was 3 years ahead just from reading so much, and many more years ahead on vocab, so I just test her once in a while, and work on acceptions to the rule (which seems to be every other word in English) and that is enough).

I am on a super tight budget, and am doing the same thing. People here have given the best suggestions, and I just buy it all, bit by bit, each month. Also, I think someone here told me about this, go to http://www.superchargedscience.com/freestuff.htm . They send you weekly experiments, a monthly newsletter, and, I think, a free online teleclass (my speakers died on my comp so we haven't tried). And, others have listed other free things online. Search for it, or start a new thread asking people to list free things they have found. It is much easier than you'd think to not buy curriculum if you don't want to or can't.

I am on a super tight budget, and am doing the same thing. People here have given the best suggestions, and I just buy it all, bit by bit, each month. Also, I think someone here told me about this, go to http://www.superchargedscience.com/freestuff.htm . They send you weekly experiments, a monthly newsletter, and, I think, a free online teleclass (my speakers died on my comp so we haven't tried).

I signed up for the science. Thanks.