Menu

middle school math

JaneP

We are used CLE for my last year 5th grader and are sticking with it for 6th. He came from PS and isn't "mathy". He didn't complain at all. I like the spiral approach because I like to continue reinforcing concepts. I also like the fact that it is workbook style and all problems are done in the book.

Not sure--not sure if we are even homeschooling, at this point, and not sure if we are doing Algebra lite or reviewing prealgebra.

Probably Saxon Alg 1/2 with some dvd support. It's clearly presented, basically scripted (written to kiddo, but I'd read it with her), proven, and thorough.

(7th grade)

AoPS Prealgebra, Algebra, etc.

OR

Singapore/MM 6 (one of those) followed by Jacob's Algebra

OR

I also have Dolciani Prealgebra here, but it looks kind of dry.

And I have Foerster's Algebra, which has word problems like, "Olivia, Newt, and John..." :lol: Unfortunately, DS wouldn't at all get that joke. :tongue_smilie:

AoPS Prealgebra is what we'll start with, after we finish Singapore 5B. If it doesn't work, we go to plan B or C, or a mixture of them. ;) And then hopefully we'd be able to jump back into AoPS at some point.

I am going from MUS to Teaching Textbooks. We are finishing up with decimals and will move to Teaching Textbooks. My daughter ened up in school for a bit and had a hard time adjusting to the math. We were up until 10 at night with math. The teacher wasn't much help either because she couldn't stay after school on the only day they tutored for math. It was learn it on day one and move on, too bad if you don't know it was the motto for that teacher. Grumble.

I have wanted to give TT a try in the past but just stuck with MUS. It was DH who gave the final say so. I like having DVDs with math because she can watch it and then work on it and come to me for questions. I also watch the DVD with her or am near by to hear it.

My dd did Math Mammoth through parts of the grade 6 level, followed by AoPS Prealgebra.

There are lots of threads about prealgebra, on this board and more specifically the Logic board. You might do a search for threads with "prealgebra" in the title.

My dd did Math Mammoth through parts of the grade 6 level, followed by AoPS Prealgebra.

There are lots of threads about prealgebra, on this board and more specifically the Logic board. You might do a search for threads with "prealgebra" in the title.

Thanks, I will give that a try :)

Edited by JaneP

My older is starting 5th grade next year. We're going to finish SM 6b in the fall, then a combo of pre-algebra type books - LOF PA, Zaccaro, CWP, Galore Park. I figure I'll pick and choose what she needs. So far, she seems to have no trouble with the easy algebra type problems she's seen in SM5b and 6a, but she's not so good with word problems... she frustrates easily and sometimes doesn't pay attention to whether her answer makes any sense. So I want her to work on this in particular next year.

In 6th - 8th - I anticipate using Jacob's Algebra and Geometry.

We evaluated AoPS, Dolciani, Singapore NEM, and Singapore DM and decided to go with DM. I like that Algebra and Geometry are integrated (I think it will provide a strong foundation for PSAT in a few years). We love the Singapore primary series and dd liked her few days of work in DM. I wrote more on one of the logic board threads if you're interested.

We really like MUS and my 6th grader dd will be working in Zeta in the fall. We like it becasue the DVDs with Mr. Demme explaining each lesson is a huge help to us. Plus the manipulatives really helped my dd when I pulled her out of public school at the end of 3rd grade, then had to go back and remediate what she was supposed to have learned in the public school.

For standards we are going to use Singapore Math and all supplements through 6b and then DM-We came into Singapore PM late so we are using it as a review plus grade level work for public school standards. We are blasting through 3A/B this summer, 4a/b for the fall of 2013 and 5a/5b for for spring of 2013 and summer 2013

We use Key to Series-just finshed Fractions 4 (my girls are in 4th grade), on the 2nd book of Decimals, 1st book in measurement, metric measurements and percents and just started Key to Algebra 1.

I am hoping by end of fifth grade or beginning of 6th grade we will be done with the whole series including Key to Geometry and Paper Patty Geometry.

For fun AOPs series starting around 6th grade-Prealg-once my kids are done with the Key To Algebra series or at least 6B, alg etc etc.

Add in Calculus for Young People

Plus MEP for fun too. My kids like MEP. It is like puzzles to them. We have a good time with them.

Also my kids have been reading the LOF books for fun at nights. Fred is hilarious to them. Not a whole lot of math going on there but they read it for kicks.

Now I would like to know of a good textbook for high school Geometry with Proofs.

Living Math skills-I love the Charlotte Mason Business book on Simply Charlotte Mason or something like that.

I love how other countries do math....just blending everything in together rather than separating them out like we do in US. I would love to see/hear more other country math scope and sequences. I think that is what drove me batty in high school-the focus of only Algebra for a whole year and the focus of only Geometry for a whole year.

Thanks for the replies so far

I love how other countries do math....just blending everything in together rather than separating them out like we do in US. I would love to see/hear more other country math scope and sequences. I think that is what drove me batty in high school-the focus of only Algebra for a whole year and the focus of only Geometry for a whole year.

:iagree: