Menu

Analytical Grammar vs Growing with Grammar

mbuchanan77

I have researched Analytical grammar and GWG both extensively and read many forums on here. I haven't been able to find a good comparison between the two. I have an above average 3rd grader that I would do the Junior analytical grammar with and an above average 6th grader that would be analytical grammar. Does anyone have anything they would like to say about either program or have you tried both? I want to start one of the programs in the fall. We are currently coming off of MCT Grammar Island and Grammar town levels. Thanks :001_smile:

I would love to see JAG and AG in person. My 5th grader is doing the grade 6 level of GWG after completing all levels of FLL. He has such a strong foundation from FLL that even the 6 grade level of GWG is easy for him.

I've actually been thinking of trying MCT. Why are you not continuing with that?

This is funny - I am getting ready to switch from GWG to AG and JAG. For me I am burned out with GWG and so are my children. Between my three middle children we have covered levels 1-7 over the years. If I had to do it all over I wouldn't do GWG every year but maybe every other year. If you compare the things covered some years repeat themselves like they do in Abeka. I would spend the alternating years really working on usage via writing.

T

We are moving out of MCT because I don't feel that my upcoming 3rd grader is quite ready for the Town level that my upcoming 6th grader did last year. Both enjoyed the actual grammar portions of the program. However, my daughter HATED the Caesar's English and wasn't too fond of a lot of the writing portions either. She begged that we switch to something else. It wasn't because it was too difficult and she didn't struggle with it, but she felt it was very boring. Personally, I think that what they were taught they did not forget. I liked the presentation and techniques used to teach the material. I think MCT is a great program. I just do not feel it is a good fit for us at this time. I hope this helps...

I've never understood the need to learn grammar for 8 years! Good grief, I'd tire of it too.

We used MCT and did our own research in the context of studying Latin. It gave purpose for the study of English grammar and provided some interest .....

• 4 weeks later...

I think Analytical Grammar is excellent. It is very straightforward and builds from lesson to lesson. I have not used the Junior, only the regular level. In each lesson, you learn one concept and then practice it on 5 worksheets. Each lesson builds on the previous. there only 10 or so lessons per year. Once you complete all the lessons for the year, you just do review. It is an easy, painless and very effective program. You can complete in 1, 2 or 3 years. I took 3 years for each of my children to complete it, which was perfect. Each year they are learning new things, no boring re-teaching of the same things each year, but each lesson of course requires them to use what they have already learned in previous lessons.

I have also used GWG. It is thorough, but I thought it was pretty easy and repetitive. I don't mind easy, but I do think doing it every year would get a bit old. The lessons are for the entire year, and review it included in each lesson.

I have to say, I liked AG better. It just seemed simpler, less painful for the child and very logical.

I have used FFL for 1st and 2nd grades, and then sentence analysis using KISS. Then in 6th or 7th I start GWG. By then they can actually write pretty well and have something concrete that they are working on that they can analyze the grammar in.