Menu

A good carpet cleaning machine?

I need to clean my carpets BADLY and am looking for recommendations for a good model. Any suggestions? Or would it be better to rent a Rug Doctor--are those more effective? Also, is there some kind of urine treatment I can buy to prespray the carpet? I know when I had Zerorez come out and do the carpets a year ago, they charged me $25 PER SPOT to spray the urine spots they found with their little black light. I'm sure there's some kind of spray I can pick up somewhere, for a lot cheaper!

Also, I have a 5 x 7 rug in DD's room. She's really regressed in her potty training and her room smells like urine. I'm sure she's had some accidents in there that I've not been aware of. Can I just pull the rug outside and hose it down, then let it dry in the sun? It's on hardwood, so I can't just use the carpet cleaner on it where it currently lies. It was only $60 at Home Depot, so I won't cry if it ruin it, but I'd prefer not to, you know?

I'd swear I have puppies instead of children... This is postpartum insanity talking. When I feel myself slipping downward, I start on a project and that pulls me through.

I need to clean my carpets BADLY and am looking for recommendations for a good model. Any suggestions? Or would it be better to rent a Rug Doctor--are those more effective? Also, is there some kind of urine treatment I can buy to prespray the carpet? I know when I had Zerorez come out and do the carpets a year ago, they charged me $25 PER SPOT to spray the urine spots they found with their little black light. I'm sure there's some kind of spray I can pick up somewhere, for a lot cheaper!

Also, I have a 5 x 7 rug in DD's room. She's really regressed in her potty training and her room smells like urine. I'm sure she's had some accidents in there that I've not been aware of. Can I just pull the rug outside and hose it down, then let it dry in the sun? It's on hardwood, so I can't just use the carpet cleaner on it where it currently lies. It was only $60 at Home Depot, so I won't cry if it ruin it, but I'd prefer not to, you know?

I'd swear I have puppies instead of children... This is postpartum insanity talking. When I feel myself slipping downward, I start on a project and that pulls me through.

We love this our Hoover Steamvac we bought few months ago. It cleans really well and affordable in the long run.

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-MaxExtract-Carpet-Cleaner-F7412900/dp/B0013YPWE6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1340828160&sr=8-2&keywords=hoover+steamvac

Julia

We also have a hoover--we bought it at Target and it was their more expensive model. We have had it for a few years and DH uses it pretty regularly. Does a pretty good job.

A friend said she used hers on tile and laminate, but when I tried that, it did not work very well. Gooed luck.

I've got a Bissell Little Green Machine. We have wood floors throughout our house and lots of throw rugs. The LGM does fine on small rugs but for some reason it just can't cut it on my large 8x10 rug in the LR. I have used the Bissell cleaning products and can't say that they are very impressive. I bet some crafty mama on here has a homemade recipe that will do it!

My mom has a large upright rug cleaner (can't recall the brand) and she loves it, but I swear it did nothing for my big rug. Now to be fair she is 65 and has poor vision so her standard of "clean" might simply be that she can't see the remaining stains! HA!

I did take my area rugs outside to clean them on our front porch. There is simply no way I would risk ruining my wood floors with that much moisture - especially if you have some spots you intend to go over and over again.

Good luck. I hope somebody else has some ideas we can both use!

• 2 months later...

I've had two Hoover Steamvacs and one Bissell Proheat 2X. IMO the Hoovers were easier to use, but they weren't well made at all. The first one was replaced under warranty, the second one died very soon after the warranty was up. My Bissell has been going strong for three years now and cleans very well. But maybe Hoover was improved their quality since I last bought one.

As far as the urine spots -- I'd go to a pet store and get a good enzyme-based pet stain/odor remover. Nature's Miracle is a pretty good brand, but any pet store will have several to choose from.

Some years ago, there were commercials on television advertising a machine that cleaned with steam only--no shampoo because shampoo was said to make the carpet get dirtier faster because of soap residue. IIRC, the machine heated the water to make the steam; you didn't have to put in water that was already hot. I can't remember the name of the machine, but maybe someone here will know.

• 1 year later...

We use a Bissell Proheat, and we always run it several times over a couple of days. We've had our carpets professionally cleaned, and we've found our results with the Bissell were superior. You can spot treat before you do the whole floor.

Could you drag your daughter's area rug onto your other carpet, clean it, and then clean the installed carpet afterward? I don't know about colorfastness or leaking through, but if the area rug is a similar (or lighter color) rug than your carpet, that might work.