Menu

Curriculum recommendations since the last edition of the WTM?

Seasider

I will soon begin home schooling my young daughter, and have read The Well Trained Mind. However, several years have passed since its publication, and I am wondering if the same curriculum recommendations are the favorites. What are some new things I might want to look at that have been created since then?

This forum is a great resource, thank you!

Are you using the 2009 edition of the book? That was the latest one, and it is only 3 years old. The choices in the book are wonderful. The only thing I would consider in addition to the resources listed in there would be WWS, also written by SWB, which just came out last year and was written for 5th - middle school grades to prepare them for rhetoric level writing.

TWTM changed my life. I hope you enjoy your hs journey and find all that you need to succeed in teaching your dc.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I have a copy of the 2nd edition, have looked through the 3rd ed at the library and now have it on order to take another look at the later curriculum recommendations. I have seen lots of different elementary curriculum titles and am trying to discern between what's truly new (and worth examining) and what's just a choice not listed in the WTM book. There's so much curriculum on the market!

I appreciate your endorsementof what's listed in the book! I will also check out Math Mammoth. Thanks!

I don't believe MCT (Michael Clay Thompson Language Arts) is in TWTM. It is the favorite LA program of many on this forum (self included).

Latin Prep and So You Really Want to Learn Latin from Galore Park are not in TWTM.

Is Miquon Math?

Beast Academy (as noted) is too new.

Bill

Huh. I just (quickly) checked the Logic Level recommendations, and I can't find Miquon. I'm surprised, because I thought I remembered seeing it there ... but maybe I just discovered it here on the forums. :001_smile: Anyway ... that's a goodie that should be noted!

I thought it was not. So most of the programs I consider "gold" are not in TWTM.

What about Art of Problem Solving?

Bill

I thought it was not. So most of the programs I consider "gold" are not in TWTM.

What about Art of Problem Solving?

Bill

You're right. AoPs isn't there -- at least not under the Logic Stage recs.

And I just remembered -- Building Foundations for Scientific Understanding (BFSU) isn't in TWTM -- it's a science program worth looking at.

Okay, more to check out, thanks!

I wish I had not missed the local home school convention this spring, I would have enjoyed browsing the vendor areas and actually putting my hands on some of these materials. But mostof the web sites I've seen so far have pretty good descriptions and samples, that makes it easier.

She has requested Greek instead of Latin and a Latin-tutoring friend has said she will be fine waiting until next year to start, and I've been given some Hey, Andrew!, that's where we will begin our classical language studies.

Wow, I have been looking at reviews for MCTLA and I think it will be a perfect fit for my little student! Thanks for the recommendation, Spycar/ Bill.

My daughter finished K & 1st at a small traditional school, but her teacher and the resource teacher finally told me she was tough to keep challenged. I had her take the Stanford test for 2nd graders and she still topped out all the Language Arts areas. She loves poetry, but she is totally hooked on Jack Prelutsky :lol:. I'd love the opportunity to get some more artistic poetry on her radar. Since she will be the only child in our home school, I think we will both enjoy the "do it together" aspect of MCT. I had been looking at Rod & Staff, but I think this (MCT) will be a much better fit and a lot more fun.

Thanks again for the recommendation!

Wow, I have been looking at reviews for MCTLA and I think it will be a perfect fit for my little student! Thanks for the recommendation, Spycar/ Bill.

My daughter finished K & 1st at a small traditional school, but her teacher and the resource teacher finally told me she was tough to keep challenged. I had her take the Stanford test for 2nd graders and she still topped out all the Language Arts areas. She loves poetry, but she is totally hooked on Jack Prelutsky :lol:. I'd love the opportunity to get some more artistic poetry on her radar. Since she will be the only child in our home school, I think we will both enjoy the "do it together" aspect of MCT. I had been looking at Rod & Staff, but I think this (MCT) will be a much better fit and a lot more fun.

Thanks again for the recommendation!

My pleasure. I hope you love it as much as we have. It really does sound like you and your daughter are just the right sort to enjoy this sort of approach.

It is fun and inspiring. And the poetry books are like nothing else I've ever seen aimed at children.

Best wishes.

Bill

Wow, I hadn't reallly stopped to think about it - although I was introduced to hsing through WTM, and credit it with giving me the confidence to take the plunge, almost none of the curricula I use or plan to use come from its recs (most come from things I read about here): Math Mammoth, Beast Academy, AoPS, Latin Prep, MCT Language Arts, BFSU. I use a lot of the history recommendations, and I think WWS is great. I guess my point is that while it is a great starting point, this forum is a great way to get specific recommendations that may be better tailored to your own situation.

Has anybody ever heard SWB speak about MCT? I really wonder what she thinks about the program and why she decided not to include it in WTM or if she plans on including it in the next edition. I searched the boards to no avail.

I am also hoping she will include Galore Park's So You Really Want to Learn French. After much search and many purchases, we finally found what we were looking for in this program.