Menu

Our Preschool Years!

lilbean05

I have two kids who are well into our homeschooling years, knee deep in Horizons textbooks, CWP, FLL, WWE, Spelling Workout, Evan Moor Geography, SSLatin, and on and on...it is so much fun and comical if we stack up their books next to them and take a picture--something we do at the beginning of each school year.

This year, I have another little one entering the preschool years and I am so excited. Preschool is so much fun and while I am tempted to give him some early writing and math books, his stack of books in our picture this year is going to be a bunch of library books and it is gunna be fun. I have a feeling the big kids are going to slowly eek their way into the room when we have the books spread out during the year. Fun!

A bunch of different people have asked us over the years what we do for our preschool kids and I am happy to share it with you! Excited to homeschool your preschooler? Here's how we do it!

What are you doing with your little ones this year? If you do a lot of reading, can you share what books you like to read? We are always looking for new books. :)

Thanks for sharing your ideas :) We just started homeschooling last year and so we haven't done preschool but one of my favorite books for little kids was The Kissing Hand - it helped my daughter who is very attached to me feel more comfortable if I had to be gone for a few hours here and there :)

Thanks for sharing your ideas :) We just started homeschooling last year and so we haven't done preschool but one of my favorite books for little kids was The Kissing Hand - it helped my daughter who is very attached to me feel more comfortable if I had to be gone for a few hours here and there :)

What a special book! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for posting this. I was getting a little freaked out to see all the 3 year olds in the other thread using curric I didn't use till mine were in K. :001_huh:

My almost 3 year old loves to read books and play -so that is all we will be doing.

My girl appreciates quite a diversity in story books. On one hand, she has loved reading a Mr Men, and now a Little Miss book each day, and she loves A is for Annabelle , A Place for Zero and The Chocolate Cat. (That book is good enough to eat. You can almost smell it.) On the other, we just finished reading Pollyanna and are now reading Pride and Prejudice. Those she has seen on dvd, so she relates to them just as well as she does the picture books. We both love Keep Love in Your Heart, Little One. It's our "making up" book.

The boy seems to like hearing Marianne Berkes "Over in the" books, but only if he's in the bath. Otherwise he prefers to read to himself and seems not to mind if the book even has pictures.

Rosie

Thank you for posting this. I was getting a little freaked out to see all the 3 year olds in the other thread using curric I didn't use till mine were in K. :001_huh:

My almost 3 year old loves to read books and play -so that is all we will be doing.

I think that lots of parents get really excited to start school with their kids, and I don't blame them. It is so much fun to plan and to see your kids growing up and it is so hard to hold off. Being where we are now, though, with my bigger kids doing so well without all the early textbook stuff, I swear by reading an insane amount of books and lots of playing in the younger years. Sure we do some "school" topics when we read the books, like talking about the science things we see in the pictures, but we don't go hard core until a little bit later. It has worked out really well for us.

I have heard that Oak Meadow is nice, with lots of fun reading!

Rosie--thanks for all the wonderful book selections. I may or may not have had a handful of chocolate chips tonight because it has been one of those days...hehehe..I am definitely going to check out The Chocolate Cat! I second the big read alouds, too! We read Heidi aloud to my big kids when they were right around 4 and they loved it. They also totally got into Peter Pan, of all things.

Thanks for all the great books! I am gunna add them to my list.

And yes, the school picture is always a fun way to start out the year. The kids are excited to see who has the tallest stack, though I don't think it has quite hit them that TALLER means MORE SCHOOL! HA!

http://www.amblesideonline.org/00.shtml

Everything on this list has been a big hit in our house!

Agreed!! Ambleside Online is our core curriculum, to be supplemented with WWE, FLL and other extra things we like to do throughout the year. There are some wonderful book suggestions, even for those that don't want to commit to the whole curriculum.

I have a K4 this coming year. I am very excited. I think we have settled on Oak Meadow Kindergarten and Handwriting Without Tears. I want to do "everything" with both kids but I know K4 is supposed to be fun :)

I have one doing Oak Meadow Kindergarten, too. This is our first time using Oak Meadow so I am nervous. The past year, my older did IDEA but we didn't like it at all.

I have a K4 this coming year. I am very excited. I think we have settled on Oak Meadow Kindergarten and Handwriting Without Tears. I want to do "everything" with both kids but I know K4 is supposed to be fun :)

Oak Meadow Kindergarten was so sweet! My favorite thing was the stories in the actual Syllabus, most people don't realize what a treasure is in there. Have fun! :)

Here are some of the ones that survived "The Great Book Purge of 2012!"

most Eric Carle books, The Little House (my personal favorite :001_smile: ), Harvey Potter's Balloon Farm, Corduroy, My Little Sister Ate One Hare, Berenstain Bears books (DD11's suggestion), Bentley and Egg, and Eggbert the Slightly Cracked Egg.

We LOVE Corduroy---it is such a sweet story! I had forgotten about it, but I am going to go dig it out now!