Menu

Make up discontinued, need help w/replacement

Hi all,

Hive, HELP!! I have used Clinique Superfit Makeup for well over a decade. I went to buy another, and it is gone. :(

I have very picky skin, super sensitive. Regular Clinique (not oil free) breaks me out, so long long ago the Clinique salesperson came up with the wonderful idea of using my moisturizer from the health food store with oil free make up. It has been perfect. I use the superfit to even tones, and it doesn't dry my skin out (but does keep the shine off). I don't like powder, it looks cakey and I like the "moist" look (well into middle age). I just chatted w/ a Nordstrom consultant online (no Nordstrom store nearby) and she said Stay Matte is close, but I think it dries my skin out (I have a sample). She suggested NARS (wow, it is expensive).

What options do I have that are oil free, sunscreen free, fragrance free, hypoallergenic that work for the pickiest skin on the planet?

Thanks!

I can't believe I am going to say this, but not too long ago, I discovered Chanel. Their concealer is magic. I never thought I would pay the money, but it is quite excellent. I'm in love with their lipsticks and glosses. I hope Chanel works for me for a long time. I don't like switching products!

You can also try Sephora products. Their powders are nice. I have used Clinque and was very happy, but then my skin changed; the tone-- just everything. I also had a good run with Lancome, but I can't find anything of theirs that works with my skin tone. Are you over 40? :) Everything seems to change then.

I also really like Paula's (cosmeticcop.com, I think. It's been awhile) products. Great prices, and nice colors, and good for a huge variety of skin tyoes. They have very good descriptions, and you can buy small samples at a reasonable price.

It sounds like I wear a lot of makeup, but I really don't. But a little brightness, and one or two good products is nice when needed. My skin is very sensitive and has always made me go grrrrrr.

Edited by LibraryLover

I am on Sephora's website now..... and the reviews for Superfit are very good. Why oh why is it discontinued (I need to whine more....) :(

Why get rid of something so wonderful????

I have no idea! I don't like to think of myself as not caring about such things, but I very nearly cried when my favorite curly hair mousse was discontinuted. I still haven't found anything better.

Try www.cosmeticscop.com/ Call and ask if they have anything like Superfit. They are very helpful in that way.

Edited by LibraryLover

I have no idea! I don't like to think of myself as caring about such things, but I very nearly cried when my favorite curly hair mousse was discontinuted. I still haven't found anything better.

Try www.cosmeticscop.com/ Call and ask if they have anything like Superfit. They are very helpful in that way.

There is a hair gel I like that is discontinued. Amazon had three left, I bought them all. Luckily they last a long time. I am death to food items and beauty products. If I like them, they are gone....

Did you see if you could stock up on a few more on eBay? I bought up every bottle of John Frieda Wind-Down Creme I could find when it was discontinued. It was sort of comical, but they discontinued that stuff 5 years ago, and I still have 7 bottles left :lol: Makeup wouldn't last as long, of course, but it might buy you some time to search around for something new (though, of course, 5 years later, I'm still searching :glare:).

Did you see if you could stock up on a few more on eBay? I bought up every bottle of John Frieda Wind-Down Creme I could find when it was discontinued. It was sort of comical, but they discontinued that stuff 5 years ago, and I still have 7 bottles left :lol: Makeup wouldn't last as long, of course, but it might buy you some time to search around for something new (though, of course, 5 years later, I'm still searching :glare:).

$50 a bottle on e-Bay......I tried!

I second a trip to Sephora if you have one nearby. Then you can try all of the foundations and see what works best for you.

I'm on their website, there isn't one close by (its one hour or three to the two I know of), they give the 3 options Nordstrom gave me good ratings. I used Superfit, and Stay Matte, Perfectly Real, and Super Balance are supposedly close substitutes.

Adding: does Sephora give samples?

$50 a bottle on e-Bay......I tried!

Oh man, I'm sorry. I actually just took a quick look for my stuff on eBay, and it's selling for $20 a pop now :scared: I'm not that desperate, although if you ask me in 6 months, I might have a different opinion! I just got my hair cut to make it last longer, but I guess you can't exactly do that with your face, huh?

What a pain in the rear :grouphug:

You could try Origins. http://www.origins.com/index.tmpl

They have counters in Macy's. I love their products, they are pretty natural, some organic and you have the option of SPF or no SPF. I go with the no SPF.

If you click on 'Origins Story' it will tell you all their ingredients.

OK, there is a Macy's sort of close to me, I like organic. I will look into it!

Is Stay Tuned all there is w/no SPF? It has chamomile, and I am allergic to it...

Edited by Susan C.

All I can think of is, "Is he sponge-worthy?"

I am on Sephora's website now..... and the reviews for Superfit are very good. Why oh why is it discontinued (I need to whine more....) :(

Why get rid of something so wonderful????

Do you have an outlet mall near you?? If you do you might have a CCO (Cosmetic Company Store). Mine is inside of a Saks Off 5th store, but some of them are free standing or in other stores. They sell Clinique, MAC, Bobbi Brown, Estee Lauder, Origins and Prescriptives cosmetics. I would check there for it as they get collections after they've left the cosmetic counters at the regular mall stores. You pay a lot less for them too. :) If they have the foundation you like get a couple. :)

I like the Nars Sheer Glow foundation. That one and Diorskin Nude are my two favorites although the Diorskin one has SPF. They are pricier to be sure, but if you're cutting your foundation with moisturizer anyway they will last you a long time. I've had my Sheer Glow for a year already and it's still going strong. That one will give you the dewy look and it has lots of good stuff for your skin. My skin actually improves from wearing it. You might also like Makeup Forever's Face and Body foundation. IIRC that one doesn't have SPF either. It's nice too, but the Sheer Glow looks nicer IMO. :) Good luck to you. I hate when the discontinue stuff too.

Edited by Ibbygirl

I hooe you find something. I have very picky skin, too. It used to be oily and now it sometimes dry. I am still prone to blackheads. I have rosacea, too. Bare minerals is the only thing I have ever used that I don't react to. It is different. But, my skin is actually healthier when I use it. I love it.