Menu

Night-time thirst/frequent urination children?

Updated in post 14 - they just checked and it was 140 which they felt was okay since she had recently eaten. They are going to re-check in a few hours.

My 10 yo daughter left for camp today in another state. During our drive, she asked frequently for me to stop so she could use the bathroom. She needed to stop about every 1 hour or a bit more. I asked her if she was having any pain and she said no. I asked her if this was waking her at night and she said that she woke up thirsty at night and also had to use the bathroom. She said that for the past few nights she was drinking about one bottle of water (12 oz or so?) during the night when she woke up. She said it's only been this way for the past week.

I thought it was odd but marked it off as nerves/excitement. (If she had said that it hurt, I would've thought it might be a UTI). When I came home, I remembered it and wondered if it could be diabetes. We do not have a history of childhood diabetes in our family.

I have no way to get in touch with her except through the camp. Should I not worry about it or call and mention it to the camp director?

Edited by Slipper

We do not have a history of childhood diabetes in our family.

I have no way to get in touch with her except through the camp. Should I not worry about it or call and mention it to the camp director?

Family history doesn't matter. I would call them tonight.

Ugh. This sounds very suspiciously like diabetes. Here is one question you can ask dd... When she urinates is it a lot or a little? With a UTI the feeling of needing to urinate can be often, but the amount is usually just a trickle. With diabetes you get a flood because the body is trying so hard to rid itself of the extra glucose. The nightime situation and extra thirst are big indicators as well. When my daughter was first diagnosed, we had spent about three hours at a car dealership purchasing a new car. She had to use the bathroom probably 4 or 5 times during that time. She also started wetting the bed at night. We had no family history either. Also, the endo said it can develop pretty quickly. Dd only had these symptoms for about a month before we figured it out.

You probably should get in touch with the camp. The nurse or whoever the medical staff is may be able to give her a quick finger poke to see what her blood sugar is, and that would let you know exactly how to proceed.

So, so sorry you are worrying. Please update when you you find out what is going on.

:grouphug:

Edited by Sara in AZ

Ugh. This sounds very suspiciously like diabetes. Here is one question you can ask dd... When she urinates is it a lot or a little? With a UTI the feeling of needing to urinate can be often, but the amount is usually just a trickle. With diabetes you get a flood because the body is trying so hard to rid itself of the extra glucose. The nightime situation and extra thirst are big indicators D well. When my daughter was first diagnosed, we had spent about three hours at a car dealership purchasing a new car. She had to use the bathroom probably 4 or 5 times during that time. She also started wetting the bed at night. We had no family history either. Also, the endo said it can develop pretty quickly. Dd only had these symptoms for about a month before we figured it out. So, do sorry you are worrying. Please update when you you find out what is going on.

:grouphug:

I was in the bathroom with her (I'm unusually suspicious of gas station bathrooms). She had a lot of urination. I remember paying attention because I wondered if it was just the urge (sometimes they get 'irritations' in sensitive areas and they have the urge to urinate, but no urine - not a UTI, just an irritation).

She's there for a week (forgot to include that in my post). I pick her up Friday morning. It's after midnight where she's at, I'll call the camp director in the morning. Thankfully, she's at a camp for kids with medical conditions so they have a full-time nurse at all times and doctors stop by daily or as needed.

ETA - I also wanted to mention that she's nearly five hours away (driving time).

Thankfully, she's at a camp for kids with medical conditions so they have a full-time nurse at all times and doctors stop by daily or as needed.

A full time nurse ought to be able to get a finger stick on her tonight. I will refrain from telling you a couple of horror stories ...

A full time nurse ought to be able to get a finger stick on her tonight. I will refrain from telling you a couple of horror stories ...

I went ahead and called and left a message on the camp director's voicemail. I also sent her an email.

Please refrain :crying: . If I have to go pick her up it will be almost 10 hours roundtrip and I need my sleep. I'm a nervous wreck every year while she's gone but it's a great camp for her. Thanks for letting me know how important this is, I'm not unappreciative, just worried.

Edited by Slipper

I was in the bathroom with her (I'm unusually suspicious of gas station bathrooms). She had a lot of urination. I remember paying attention because I wondered if it was just the urge (sometimes they get 'irritations' in sensitive areas and they have the urge to urinate, but no urine - not a UTI, just an irritation).

She's there for a week (forgot to include that in my post). I pick her up Friday morning. It's after midnight where she's at, I'll call the camp director in the morning. Thankfully, she's at a camp for kids with medical conditions so they have a full-time nurse at all times and doctors stop by daily or as needed.

ETA - I also wanted to mention that she's nearly five hours away (driving time).

Yes, this does not sound good at all. Calling in the morning is your best strategy, and, as the pp's have said, prepare yourself for a hospital stay. I really think, given that it seems like this hasn't been going on for very long and you're getting right on top of it, that she probably won't have any serious problems, like ketoacidosis to worry about. They definitely send the kids to the hospital to monitor them and get things under control, but one of the main reasons they keep them for a couple of days is to train the family in how to manage it. The learning curve is huge. After we got home from the hospital I felt like I had a newborn again, it was that paralyzing. But we all survived.

Take a huge breath. Nothing terrible is going to happen in the next eight hours. Don't do any googling, try to get some sleep, and let us know what happens in the morning.

Edited by Sara in AZ

A friend had a son with the same symptoms. We all thought of diabetes as well. She took him into the ER and it ended up being uric acid buildup. Apparently its quite common during puberty. Just thought I would mention another possibility :001_smile:

How encouraging. I hope this is it!!

I used to have frequent thirst and had to pee all the time. I was tested for diabetes and did not have it. I also had low blood pressure. In the end, I needed to adjust my setpoint for fluid intake by drinking much less, and I had to add a little salt to my diet. It was hard the first three days because I felt thirsty all the time. I had not realized how much water I was drinking until I restricted myself to one cup per hour during the daytime and only sips at night. I guess I had really been chugging it. A more reasonable amount of water and a little conscious addition of salt (I ate very little to begin with) took care of it.

Update - They contacted a doctor to come look at her and he said that she looked fine. They checked her sugar and it was 140 but they said she had recently eaten so he felt it was still within normal. He plans to check it again in a few hours.

Interestingly, kids with celiac are 3x more likely to develop diabetes. I forget the reverse statistic on how many people with diabetes are likely to develop celiac, but it's unusually high.

Update - They contacted a doctor to come look at her and he said that she looked fine. They checked her sugar and it was 140 but they said she had recently eaten so he felt it was still within normal. He plans to check it again in a few hours.

Interestingly, kids with celiac are 3x more likely to develop diabetes. I forget the reverse statistic on how many people with diabetes are likely to develop celiac, but it's unusually high.

I think it's about the same, maybe 30%? Is your daughte celiac? I'm glad you checked back in. When my daughter was diagnosed her blood sugar was over 600. So hopefully you are in the clear!

Yes, she has Celiac Disease. She was diagnosed about 3 - 4 years ago and does quite well other than being very small for her age.

I had already decided I wouldn't worry unless it was over 200, so 140 is very encouraging. If it's not high, I'll leave her at camp but if she's still having problems when she comes home, I'll schedule an appointment with our pediatrician.

My son showed signs of diabetes at 4 or 5. He went to the bathroom at least once an hour. He was thirsty constantly. My SIL is diabetic, I was concerned, so we checked his blood sugar and it was HIGH! I did not realize he had just had a sprite. We went to the doctor and they did a quick test and the three or six month test, cannot remember what it was. It all came back normal. If he had some sprite on his finger, that may have thrown the test off. Plus a four year old sneaking a sprite ;)

Anyway, he was in a growth spurt apparently and his bladder had not caught up with his body. It resolved in a few weeks. Occasionally he will have a few days or a week where he goes to the bathroom nonstop. Usually around the time his appetite changes, then all returns to normal and none of his clothes fit!

I hope it is nothing with your DD, but I understand how scary it can be until you know.

They just did the second check and it was 109. So, I'm leaving her at camp and they said that if anything went awry they would immediately check her sugar level and text/call me.

If she's still having problems during the week-end, I'll run her to the doctor next week.

Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate the suggestions. I am still in shock about the corelation between Celiac and Diabetes. Good to know...

They just did the second check and it was 109. So, I'm leaving her at camp and they said that if anything went awry they would immediately check her sugar level and text/call me.

If she's still having problems during the week-end, I'll run her to the doctor next week.

Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate the suggestions. I am still in shock about the corelation between Celiac and Diabetes. Good to know...

glad it came down. Hopefully the140 was right afte rshe ate.

my MIL has celiac and diabetes. didn't know the two were connected.

Good. 140 is not high enough to cause polyuria.