Menu

food allergy question...berries?

If you are allergic to one berry are you more likely to be allergic to another? I posted earlier that I'm 29 weeks pregnant and this evening and last evening I have had a hot, itchy, flushed feeling in my face, and my face is very noticably read, especially the cheeks. I have eczema on my face and it is like a REALLY bad flare up of that, all at once, lasting hours. I thought about it, and i had a bowl of frozen berries yesterday before it happened, and today I had a nutrition bar with berries before it happened. Once, many years ago, I had similar symptoms after having a smoothie with acai berry in it. (only time I ever had acai berry). I assumed I was allergic and stopped consuming it. Could I be cross reacting?

I took 1 benedryl last night and was fine when I woke up. Tonight it was bothering me more and I started getting itchy on my chest so I took 2 benedryl tablets. I'm not fighting to keep my eyes open, lol, I'm so drugged/sleepy. It does look much better though.

Could I have developed an allergy to another berry? The frozen ones were strawberry/blueberry/raspberry. Not sure about the nutrition bar. OH, and I have a cousin that is allergic to strawberries.

I'm slightly allergic to shellfish, but only crab.

thanks all. The list doesn't show what family acai berry is in, but it wouldn't suprise me if it was similar. also got a pm that linked a histimine like substance to both strawberries and crab, which I know I react to sometimes.

Ok, no berries yesterday, and no red/flushed/itchy face either. How odd! I'm really bummed....frozen berries with coconut milk are my favorite treat!!!!!

Juts try blueberries. DD really has to limit the strawberries (really she should never have them but it is SO hard come summer), but no problems with blueberries.

Strawberries are actually much more allergenic than many others if I recall. My son has some fruit allergies and not others in the same class so I would not assume all berries are out. I'd try other berries--like blueberries alone for example.

You might research Oral Allergy Syndrome. Sometimes the high pollen count of summer will push you right over the edge. My DD can handle berries and other fruits sometimes, but not others. Combining berries, tomato and other fresh fruits too closely together and she's tossing her fruit salad all over the floor. :tongue_smilie:

I've been having slight allergic reactions to different fruits/veggies for years. I can have them in different ways, that switch the enzymes or something... Use to be bananas, then it was raw nuts (almonds etc) Now it's apples, raw almonds, avocados, strawberries (sometimes) peaches... nectarines...carrots (sometimes) My throat itches and I have some ear itching etc.... I can have baked apples :)

I've heard that the Oral Allergy Syndrome is determined by pollens that you're allergic to.

Also PSA: If you're allergic to avocados and bananas, be very careful with latex. If you're not careful, you very well may end up being allergic to latex. You can search about they "whys".... but there ya go...

Edited by NayfiesMama
oh yes, allergic to cherries and sometimes melons, too :(

Thanks everyone! Tonight seems to be going well as well. I guess I'll buy a bag of just frozen blueberries to try. My cousin is allergic to strawberries too, so that certainly could be it. How awful! I agree that allergies can add up, and my hayfever has been bad lately, so maybe it was just too much.