Menu

My Brest Friend, Boppy or something else?

My vote is for the MBF. I used them daily...hourly...with all three boys. I tried a Boppy once or twice, but because the top wasn't flat, and firm and couldn't be adjusted to fit my body, it didn't feels as comfortable for me. It also seemed like the baby would kind of roll toward the inside of the Boppy, because of the way it is shaped.

I had a boppy with #1 but didn't really fall in love with it. With #2 & #3 I just had a firm pillow...it was cheaper, we could change pillowcases (or layer them if necessary), and then put the pillow to use in bedrooms after weaning.

It was also nice since 60% of the time, I'd drift off to sleep while feeding (nursing in a recliner) so the regular size pillow meant that baby wouldn't roll off w/o me waking up. By baby #3, I was operating in a fog most days:blush:

I really liked MBF for the first several weeks, I don't know that I kept using it for months but it was a must for those first few weeks. Being a bit plus side and busty, the Boppy was never an option, and pillow never stacked well. I loved having a pillow be the perfect companion for a good position. Even though I only used it for a few weeks, it is still an essential for me.

I had one with velcro--don't know what brand it was, but it wasn't Boppy and it didn't quite look like My Brest Friend. I didn't like it because it was pretty hard to undo the velcro with one hand while holding the baby with the other (it was very strong velcro). If I did manage to do it, the velcro would sometimes decide to grab dd8's socks and pull them off her feet as I pulled the pillow away from me. :lol: I wished I had a Boppy. I don't know that I used it much with dd6.

I used a Boppy with the first three, but it seemed to require extra support from additional pillows underneath. If I took it somewhere else, like church or someone's house, it didn't necessarily work as smoothly as it might, since it lacked the extra pillows. I didn't have a removable cover, so I washed it occasionally, which I don't recommend. It beat up the pillow and its cover too much.

This time around I'm using a MBF, the twin version. I do like the flattish, firm surface. It has an extra lip on it, so feels more stable as I shift myself around. I took off the smaller back pillow and belt though and also used a seam ripper to remove the extra velcro piece that was on the pillow that I wasn't using. It had some sharp and irritating edges and the velcro was getting stuck to my shirt when I wore particular fabrics. It has a nice removable cover that can easily be laundered.

Erica in OR

II just had a firm pillow...it was cheaper, we could change pillowcases (or layer them if necessary), and then put the pillow to use in bedrooms after weaning.

:iagree: A regular firm pillow worked for me. I definitely didn't need any more "baby clutter" sitting around.

The Boppy's rounded cover makes it harder for the baby to stay balanced. Babe either rolls into mom or away. The more steady the baby feels, the easier it is to learn to suck properly. A firm pillow is good. However, if a mom feels particularly uncoordinated, the MBF can be a god-send. The older ones had strong velcro. The newer ones have a slide clasp, which is quieter and easier to undo with one hand.