Menu

Ds struggles with putting algebraic word problems into equations.

We started Lial's with him in November and, while he understood the concepts and how to solve equations, he really struggled with putting word problems into equations. I decided to step back, that maybe he just wasn't ready for algebra yet. He did a review of pre-algebra concepts in the spring and had no problems. I handed him LOF a few weeks ago and again he's really having a hard time with understanding how to put the word problems into equations.

Any advice? Any resources out there that explain this?

PurpleMath has some good explanations.

Solving Word Problems is towards the bottom.

I recommend an intermediate stage with words instead of variables, then moving to the variables - generally even if it's a problem that uses a chart (like a motion problem).

For instance (making up problem here so numbers may be really off...)

John has 20 more cookies than Susan. Together they have 180 cookies. How many does Susan have?

I'd suggest the first step be to write:

(John) + (Susan) = 180

We also know that (John) = (Susan) + 20

Try using some numbers first to be sure you've got the addition correct... (If John has50 cookies, Susan will have.... If Susan has 40 cookies, John will have...)

We also could have said (Susan) = John - 20

List what you're looking for.... (When are you done with the problem???)

Here our answer should be: "Susan has _____ cookies."

Now, stop looking at the problem and ONLY look at what you've copied from it...

assign variables as needed:

(John) + (Susan) = 180

(Susan + 20) + (Susan) = 180

Makes solving it MUCH easier.

THis works with almost all types of word problems and really does help with checking work too.

I've found that the Dolciani algebra books do a better job of linking the math exercises and word problems than other books we've used.

FWIW, you might try going the other direction. Given some math expressions, have him write some word problems that would fit them. Then see how far he can push the word problems.

I've found that the Dolciani algebra books do a better job of linking the math exercises and word problems than other books we've used.

FWIW, you might try going the other direction. Given some math expressions, have him write some word problems that would fit them. Then see how far he can push the word problems.

I'll give this a try. Thanks.

I saw this link on one of the posts with the 'word problem' tag. It looks very good. We're taking a week off school next week to go away. Then we have 3 weeks before summer vacation. I'm really excited to use this and some of the other resources for our last 3 weeks. Hopefully something will click for him. And if not, then I'll order the Hands-On-Equations for the autumn.

I'm so glad I asked this - I always get such great help here. :001_smile:

PurpleMath has some good explanations.

Solving Word Problems is towards the bottom.

I recommend an intermediate stage with words instead of variables, then moving to the variables - generally even if it's a problem that uses a chart (like a motion problem).

For instance (making up problem here so numbers may be really off...)

John has 20 more cookies than Susan. Together they have 180 cookies. How many does Susan have?

I'd suggest the first step be to write:

(John) + (Susan) = 180

We also know that (John) = (Susan) + 20

Try using some numbers first to be sure you've got the addition correct... (If John has50 cookies, Susan will have.... If Susan has 40 cookies, John will have...)

We also could have said (Susan) = John - 20

List what you're looking for.... (When are you done with the problem???)

Here our answer should be: "Susan has _____ cookies."

Now, stop looking at the problem and ONLY look at what you've copied from it...

assign variables as needed:

(John) + (Susan) = 180

(Susan + 20) + (Susan) = 180

Makes solving it MUCH easier.

THis works with almost all types of word problems and really does help with checking work too.

We used VideoText for algebra and as I've said before, I did the course with my daughter. After many years of reading over story problems over and over, each time feeling dumber and dumber, they finally were doable! VideoText speaks of math as a language. Therefore, once you speak math, you can read through a story problem much more easily. They also give a 6 step approach to come up with the pertinent information contained in a story problem. I actually spent additional time doing story problems the weekend after they were introduced because they were so much fun! NEVER in a million years would I have thought I would say that.

So if nothing else, let me offer hope that there is an answer to understanding story problems. There is nothing worse, in my book, than reading those over without an effective attack plan that works.

The best Algebra program I've ever used to learn how to turn Algebraic story problems into equations is Videotext Algebra. I did the program with my oldest two, and as the last poster stated, I even did extras for fun!

However, it's a very expensive and complete program, and so I don't necessarily recommend you go and buying it if you already have an Algebra program. Perhaps you know someone who would lend it to you for a bit. I would guess there are supplemental books out there that would do the same thing. In any case -- also as the last poster said -- this is mostly to tell you that it CAN be done! And can even be fun. :)

LOF Pre-algebra 2 does a much better job, over more lessons, with single variable word problems and uses a different system (Six Pretty Boxes) than Life of Fred BA.

If you have an Vista or earlier version of Windows, these free computer tutors are excellent for word problems. They generate an unlimited number of problems of each type.

Every once in awhile a computer will act a little strangely and you must install 2 titles to get the first one to work. I don't know what that is about. I have installed this software on an uncountable number of computers over the past decade. Nothing better has ever come out, that I know of.