Menu

Abandoning structured spelling programs??

Jennay

My DS8 and DS9 have been using AAS for spelling - I've taught Levels 1-5. DS8 just finished Level 3 and DS9 finished Level 5 last fall. Older DS is an extremely natural speller and it seems DS#2 is one also.

While I've enjoyed the systematic progression and explanations in in AAS, much of it was overkill for us. I never used the tiles past the first weeks of Level 1 and I ended up skipping most of the dictations to focus on WWE dictations and other dictations from literature.

I also find it frustrating to have things divided by Levels and have the rules given out only a few at a time. I want to see the whole picture and then decide how much to cover with my kids and when. However, the structure of AAS did keep me on track and I am having a hard time deciding not to complete the program.

A few years ago I wasn't confident in my ability to teach spelling at all so I bought AAS for the handholding. Now that I am more confident I am thinking of just using lists from Natural Speller by Kathryn Stout and Tricks of the Trade spelling notebook for words that I notice they have trouble with in their writing. I'd like to spend more of our LA time with more writing and it seems a program like AAS just sucks up a lot of time for us.

But maybe my time will be better used by flying through a scripted program than figuring out how to implement Natural Speller.

Anyone in the same situation?

I'm using AAS because my dd8 has a difficult time with spelling, she is not a visual learner, she leans more to the kinesthetic learning. If I had a child that was visual, or in other words, great at spelling - I wouldn't do AAS but something simple like SWO only. We are doing both, but if we didn't have the AAS, I'm not sure her spelling would have improved.

My dd8 is a very natural speller, so we no longer use a formal spelling program. When she misspells a word in her writing, I will point it out. Then we analyze the spelling of the word together, so she learns why the word is spelled a particular way. Generally, that's enough for her to spell the word correct going forward. A formal spelling program would be busywork for her.

My dd8 is a very natural speller, so we no longer use a formal spelling program. When she misspells a word in her writing, I will point it out. Then we analyze the spelling of the word together, so she learns why the word is spelled a particular way. Generally, that's enough for her to spell the word correct going forward. A formal spelling program would be busywork for her.

:iagree: Exactly this. I've tried spelling programs because I feel like I "should" be using them, but in reality my kids seem to be good at spelling (so far). These programs took up time, and I realized that since they are already testing above grade level on spelling, I wouldn't sweat it too much that they still occasionally misspelled words. Now, at 13, my oldest two rarely misspell a word. So it all worked out and I'm glad I didn't spend any more time than necessary on this boring subject.

I was wondering the same thing. I was enraptured by the idea of these intense spelling programs and still think they are a great way to teach reading. Wish I could go back and start teaching reading with these.

Nearly broke the bank buying BOTH AAS and SWR, with international shipping and customs, and now using first one, then changing to try the other, either way they take up SO much time. Wondering what to do. Of course, money spent has nothing to do with whether I should continue.

One frustrating thing about SWR for me, especially starting at 3rd grade, is the number of extremely complex rules.

They say, LOE style, that is all logical, but only if you construct hugely complex rules and, and this is the part that gets me, in SWR they separate how we say words with how we think to spell them, thus insuring that the language adheres to more rules than it really does.

Has anyone found a happy medium, that integrates some of the good things about these spelling programs? I like the dictation process in SWR, so I am thinking of applying that to more meaningful wordlists and a more limited and selection of the simpler and more common rules, and, as the OP or someone said, taking cues from my own children's spelling mistakes. Perhaps secretly perusing their freetime writing for spelling lists or something.

I'm ready to quit SWR-- but that's just me venting. I don't mean this as an answer to the OP's question. I honestly am not sure where to go with this, or if I really will quit, and this message is just an elaborate bump, really.

I was wondering the same thing. I was enraptured by the idea of these intense spelling programs and still think they are a great way to teach reading. Wish I could go back and start teaching reading with these.

Nearly broke the bank buying BOTH AAS and SWR, with international shipping and customs, and now using first one, then changing to try the other, either way they take up SO much time. Wondering what to do. Of course, money spent has nothing to do with whether I should continue.

One frustrating thing about SWR for me, especially starting at 3rd grade, is the number of extremely complex rules.

They say, LOE style, that is all logical, but only if you construct hugely complex rules and, and this is the part that gets me, in SWR they separate how we say words with how we think to spell them, thus insuring that the language adheres to more rules than it really does.

Has anyone found a happy medium, that integrates some of the good things about these spelling programs? I like the dictation process in SWR, so I am thinking of applying that to more meaningful wordlists and a more limited and selection of the simpler and more common rules, and, as the OP or someone said, taking cues from my own children's spelling mistakes. Perhaps secretly perusing their freetime writing for spelling lists or something.

I'm ready to quit SWR-- but that's just me venting. I don't mean this as an answer to the OP's question. I honestly am not sure where to go with this, or if I really will quit, and this message is just an elaborate bump, really.

LOL...I was just reading some SWR threads earlier this week and checked a Spalding book out of the library.

I came to the conclusion that I don't need either. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Exactly this. I've tried spelling programs because I feel like I "should" be using them, but in reality my kids seem to be good at spelling (so far). These programs took up time, and I realized that since they are already testing above grade level on spelling, I wouldn't sweat it too much that they still occasionally misspelled words. Now, at 13, my oldest two rarely misspell a word. So it all worked out and I'm glad I didn't spend any more time than necessary on this boring subject.

Yep, I'm pretty much convinced that a formal spelling program is a waste of time AND money.

Since I already have AAS4 I might go through it with DS8 - just the rules and word lists. He likes having steps to complete and putting stickers on the chart.

I am not doing spelling with DS next year. He seems to be a very natural speller. I am using Wordly Wise 3000 with him, and will use those as spelling words.

I was thinking of doing something like that, maybe with Vocabulary from Classical Roots, CE1, or MCT's list of top 100 Vocabulary words.

I think I'm going to make the same decision for this year. DS7 finished AAS 4 last year. But it was painful for both of us and he didn't really gain much. I'm sad because I really like the program, but we don't have time for busy work.

I've come to the conclusion that there's no need for me to give my kids 10 random words per week from a standard spelling book. These days, I'm just picking out 10 words that my younger daughter misspells and having her do spelling games and tests on spelling city with those words. So far, it's working fine. I'm not bothering with my older daughter who spells really well.

Actually, now I'm thinking today that maybe a combo of AAS followed by Spelling Power (applying AAS rules on missed words) would be the best bet to fit the needs of all my children.

Pros - both AAS and Spelling Power are non consummable. No workbooks to buy for each child. Both would be resellable.

Both are customizable - oldest DS can zoom through the levels, and I still have them for 3 younger DC to use. I have no idea yet how my littles will do with spelling.

I do best with structure that I can tweak but there is always a base to come back to. Natural Speller is a little open ended - not sure how I would implement it on a regular basis.

It would be easier for someone to teach for me on an occassional basis using AAS (DH or granparents) - just do the next step. Much of the planning for Natural Speller would probably be in my head.

Speaking as someone who's spent a lot of time trying to find a good spelling program and been frustrated -- Not every spelling program is ten random words, though. Some focus on spelling rules, others on clarifying spelling/meaning of homophones and other similar words.

I did get Rudginsky's How to Teach Spelling book.

• 3 months later...

This is an interesting thread. My kids are seemingly natural spellers. I think they could benefit from some work on prefixes, suffixes etc...but other than that, they always ace spelling tests without much effort. So, I have wondered if spelling is not necessary any longer for my 4th and 5th graders. It is good to see other people's thoughts.

Both of mine are pretty good spellers. The younger even more than the older. I'm quizzing them on Spelling Connection words (on grade level), just to make sure I'm not overlooking a problem, & I'm moving the little out of AAS into PZ with the older. PZ is completely independent & takes, like, 5 minutes a day. Perfect fit for us.

I use Kathryn Stout's Natural Speller and use it as a vocabulary builder. I like that the words are grouped by similar sounds and she also covers common foreign words (guacamole, armadillo) and homophones. DS matches the definition to the word and then I give him a quick test. Any words he doesn't know he studies throughout the week and then I test again at the end of the week. I also keep track of words he mispells and have him study them.