Menu

are you familiar with hands, foot, and mouth disease?

this past weekend i took my kids to a birthday party at a pool. today the mom found out her two younger kids have hands, foot, and mouth. we also spent a couple of hours at the pool with them yesterday.

how possible do you think it is that my dc will get it? can i do anything to prevent? like taking extra vitamins or something?

Ewwwwww! My nephews have had this a few times, including once or twice when we spent a lot of time with them. :ack2:

I would just keep up with good hand-washing and sanitation routines to keep it from spreading among your dc. And extra sleep, some rest, and plenty of water never hurt if the body is fighting something. :001_smile: That was my approach, and dc never caught it.

Ewwwwww! My nephews have had this a few times, including once or twice when we spent a lot of time with them. :ack2:

I would just keep up with good hand-washing and sanitation routines to keep it from spreading among your dc. And extra sleep, some rest, and plenty of water never hurt if the body is fighting something. :001_smile: That was my approach, and dc never caught it.

thanks!! I really hope we don't get it....

I understand it is very contagious, although when dd had it, no one we knew had it either before or after, even though we were at a toddler play group on the day it was diagnosed. Strangely, my sister's children had it at the same time. As they lived on a different continent, I struggle to shake the suspicion that it can be transmitted via Internet!

It can be very mild and unproblematic, or pretty uncomfortable. Dd only had it on hands and feet, so we were lucky.

It is highly contagious and adults can get it too. We have never had it in my home, but we have seen several families deal with it and it seems to be worse for the adults than the children. That's anecdotal though, no idea if it is a fact.

:grouphug::grouphug: