Menu

Problems with Ikea Furniture

If you buy something and get it mostly put together, then notice that a piece is broken, what's the proper resolution? I can't exactly return it. Should I take the broken parts to the store? Or is there some main Ikea number to call?

I was missing a piece when I bought from them last week. I went to their website and clicked to chat with "Anna" and then typed in missing part and it walked me through the rest. I haven't got the part yet, but I did get an email that it is on it's way. HTH.

If it's something little - a peg or a screw or something, they have a little wall of extra parts in the store and a counter with less common ones and they'll go get it for you from the back.

If it's a whole table leg or something, they'll send it to you. I've had them do it before.

Usually here they will send a person to your house with the parts you need or they will just take it back and give you a new one or money. Once we bought a loft bed and one of the pieces was broken and the other piece did not have holes drilled in the wood as it should. 2 young guys from their in home assembly place came out with the parts and assembled the rest of the bed for us for free. IKEAs are franchises however so my store may do things differently.

Ok, I'll have to Ask Anna or something. So glad they'll send new parts! It's a dresser and two of the drawers have sides that are too short. (thus preventing it frome being put together properly.) And one of the drawer fronts has a chunk of wood missing where the dowel rod hole was cut too deeply. I don't want to return it because it's already put together! It's a bit of work to have to do again. ;) Plus getting it back to the store would be a hassle. I bought from Ikea instead of CL so that I wouldn't have to deal with moving an already assembled dresser.

I was halfway through assembling a bunk bed (=giant piece of furniture) when I realized one bolt was bent and unusable. This was New Year's Eve. Called the 800 number, they promised the store had it, but was closing in 45 min. Instead of eating dinner, my husband ran out the door to drive 30+ min to the store. The store did not have it and refused to open one of the 6 units in stock to get the hardware, gave him some "similar" piece, and took his address and said they'd send it. No timeline. Remember, my kids' bed is in the middle of the room, unusable. My husband called the 800 number back and the woman was shocked and said she'd contact the manager, who said if we came in the next day, he'd give us a $5 gift certificate but if he came any other day, tough luck, they didn't have any in stock (despite the fact that I had a printout showing they had 6 in stock), and he didn't care we drove all that way. I wrote a letter of complaint to an Ikea customer service executive, who called and made some vague statements, did not seem very interested in anything other than how I found her name, and asked if the part had come yet (ten days later, it still had not come). They sent out another part. I was highly unimpressed. Highly.

Check all the pieces and hardware before leaving the parking lot.

Edited by stripe

I once discovered that my package included two right-side pieces but no left-side one. I had made an out-of-state trip to get a ton of stuff to furnish my new house before starting grad school. I just called the store, described the problem, and they promptly sent me a new part. Driving back to the store was not an option for me, and they were very nice and understanding.