Menu

How much input do your teens have in their studies

This is will be my 5th year homeschooling, and for the past 4 years I've decided what will be studied. But for my upcoming freshman, he told me things he wanted to learn in the fall (ie. World Geography and Physics in particular), but I chose what curriculum he'd used. Quite frankly, he's not interested in doing the research necessary.

I mostly decide, but I certainly take their desires and interests into account.

All my kids have to do English, history, math, and science all four years. They also need to do at least 2 credits (preferably 3) of foreign language. Aside from that, I want all of them to have one semester of something computer-related, one semester of fine arts, one semester of personal finance, one semester of health, and the rest is elective.

My oldest used SL Core 100 in 9th grade (skipping all the religious stuff). That took care of history and literature. She did Jacobs Geometry for math and Miller/Levine for Biology. She hated the biology text and so did I, but she didn't want to switch. She wasn't interested in learning biology, just getting through it. She worked out at the gym with me and also took a Tae Kwon Do class for p.e. I designed a health course for her that I ended up not being very happy with, but she didn't care. She did Dave Ramsey's FPU for teens and also read through several personal finance books (Suze Orzman and two others that I don't remember right now). She also took a weekly cartooning class.

My middle dd had a very different 9th grade. She used Oak Meadow US History and Health. She did Windows to the World for English. She also used Jacobs for Geometry. She did Holt Biology with the Oak Meadow syllabus. This was much better than Miller/Levine, but I won't have my youngest do biology until AFTER chemistry. She did gymnastics for p.e. and also did the Teaching Company's Philosophy of Mind (her favorite course).

My youngest will do something very different from either of her sisters. She will be using either Oak Meadow or Hippocampus for US history. She'll be using Movies as Literature for English (she's dyslexic). She'll be working through MUS Algebra I and some supplements for math and then move into MUS Geometry with Patty Paper Geometry. She's going to do Hewitt's Conceptual Physics for science, but I'm going to teach it as a class because I think she might possibly actually enjoy it that way. She is also going to continue with weekly sewing, guitar, banjo, and voice lessons.

The courses that my oldest took at the cc are quite different from what my middle dd is taking/going to take and very different from what my youngest is likely to take. My oldest did Psychology, English I/II, Japanese I/II/III, Drawing I/II, General College Physics I, Introductory Chemistry I, Elementary Statistics, Trigonometry, and Digital Imaging I. Contrast that with my middle dd who has done/will do English I/II, Spanish I/II, Psychology, Chemistry I/II (for science majors), Biology I/II (for science majors), Government I/II, Programming Fundamentals. She wanted to take (and her English II teacher highly encouraged to take) Honors English Literature, but it is only offered at the downtown campus, so it just isn't going to happen.

My youngest is likely to take only elective courses at the cc, probably mostly related to guitar, voice, and photography.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

My daughter had some choice within parameters that I set. So, for example, when we saw that an out of the home Geometry class was not totally successful in 9th grade, we withdrew her. We then gave her the choice of Jacobs' Geometry 2nd or 3rd edition. (She chose the 2nd.) In 9th grade literature, I offered her the choice of Les Miserables (unabridged) or two shorter classics. (She chose Les Miserables as she was a fan of the musical Les Mis.) I chose other works over which she had no say. Starting in 8th grade, I required that she take a foreign language, and she chose Latin from a variety of choices.

When she began taking community college classes in 11th grade, I required that she take three quarters of science but she was able to choose from the available courses. Similarly, I required that she take three quarters each of literature and composition in 11th and 12th grades, but I allowed her to choose which of the literature classes she would take. (She chose Latino/a Literature, Survey of World Literature, and Folklore & Mythology.)

Also, prior to 12th grade, I allowed her to choose whether to take Calculus (at home with Life of Fred or at the community college) or Statistics (AP level with PA Homeschoolers or Life of Fred). She chose AP Statistics.

Regards,

Kareni

I let ds have some say starting in 7th. We're starting high school this year and spent most of the spring in negotiations over what we will cover. I have my requirements on subject, he got say on content. I pick the materials and gave him some options.

When he had an opinion on what to change I'd run it through my basic four year plan to see if it would fit. For instance, I know where he is in writing and he doesn't get much say on that because of where his skill level is. He also didn't much say in GB/history, but because I know it's not his favorite subject I'm working on a schedule that will be engaging, not overwhelming.

He needed a fine art .5 credit this year. So I gave him 5 options to choose.

So after months I think I have a balance of what I require, what he wants, and what fits college entrance requirements. I'm hoping to leave flexibility in the schedule so he gets to study what he wants and his transcript is a reflection of who he really is.

There were a few things other than some standard requirements that I let her do some choosing. Most of that went great except for history. I told her she could choose any time period...first she chose US history because "it's next in the sequence in our studies". Ok, that's logical, I thought and was greatful that it wasn't ancients. I don't know why, but the lit for that period scares me and I'd just rather not right now. So I researched US history, came up with a plan. She changed her mind. Wants to do ancients now. Grr. I did a little research on ancients curric, lit to go with. Didn't totally have a plan, but was on my way. Then she picks up the MFW catalog sitting on the dining room table and informs me that the world history package looks more fun and would rather do that. It's June, I need to finalize my plans, she is going to get what she gets...history and corresponding lit is too expensive to change your mind after it's purchased. I think we might study what "I" want to study.:lol:

We have certain minimum standards: English, math, science and social science have to be studied every year, and at least two years of foreign language have to happen.

And sometimes I have something specific I know this particular student should study for some reason.

Beyond that, though, I'm very, very open to discussion. If my student doesn't have any particular passions or interests or ideas, I'll be happy to make those decisions. If he does (which he usually does), I'm happy to work with him to figure out how to design a course.

I also actively solicit input from him about the materials we choose for required subjects. For example, my son looked at samples with me for several math curricula before choosing Life of Fred for next year.

It's a lot of negotiation, actually.

There were a few things other than some standard requirements that I let her do some choosing. Most of that went great except for history. I told her she could choose any time period...first she chose US history because "it's next in the sequence in our studies". Ok, that's logical, I thought and was greatful that it wasn't ancients. I don't know why, but the lit for that period scares me and I'd just rather not right now. So I researched US history, came up with a plan. She changed her mind. Wants to do ancients now. Grr. I did a little research on ancients curric, lit to go with. Didn't totally have a plan, but was on my way. Then she picks up the MFW catalog sitting on the dining room table and informs me that the world history package looks more fun and would rather do that. It's June, I need to finalize my plans, she is going to get what she gets...history and corresponding lit is too expensive to change your mind after it's purchased. I think we might study what "I" want to study.:lol:

I put a deadline on my ds's requests. I give him options and remind him that once we commit, the choice is made. Since I put together most of my own materials, it's essential I have time to prepare and plan. He's also well aware we don't have the budget to order things and resell them if he changes his mind.

I'm typing up a handbook for our school. One section will be on requirements and electives. We'll touch on them throughout the year so by spring I'll have some inkling on where he wants to go. But at this point, it's summer, I'm planning no more changing your mind. I tend to be very wishy-washy in real life, so I consider this character training for me and him.

Jenny in Florida

We have certain minimum standards: English, math, science and social science have to be studied every year, and at least two years of foreign language have to happen.

And sometimes I have something specific I know this particular student should study for some reason.

Beyond that, though, I'm very, very open to discussion. If my student doesn't have any particular passions or interests or ideas, I'll be happy to make those decisions. If he does (which he usually does), I'm happy to work with him to figure out how to design a course.

I also actively solicit input from him about the materials we choose for required subjects. For example, my son looked at samples with me for several math curricula before choosing Life of Fred for next year.

It's a lot of negotiation, actually.

I love your description! We handle selecting academics by negotiation too.....dh and I have some basic requirements, but mostly we give the kids lots of options, both in terms of subjects covered and in terms of how we cover the material.

When we started, I created a course of study that showed exactly what my dd needed to graduate, as far as I was concerned.

This last year, she did all of her course planning. She knew what she had left in order to graduate, and she wants to complete the 40 units of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum via dual enrollment. She sat down and figured out her own schedule, trying to meet as many requirements in the most efficient way possible. I'm happy to help out, but she really doesn't need me.

There are a few things that are non-negotiable (or would take a LOT of convincing...) but mostly he has his goals, they're quite worthwhile, and we work together to figure out how to get him there.

More often than not I need to rein him in a bit to not schedule too optomistically. He likes the idea of a lot of things, but he doesn't always have the foresight to realize how much work it's going to be and how each day will play out. But when he really wants something, schoolwise, we do what we can to make it happen.

Where there are somewhat equal choices, I let them make the final choice. There have been times that I've borrowed books for a weekend or so, and we've looked through them together. And I do ask them for feedback on what they're using and take that into account for following year. They've had suggestions too.

IMHO they should have a say, but I have the final decision.

I know some families where the parents make all of the choices, but IMHO involving them teaches them to think through how they learn and gives them more ownership of their learning.