Menu

Will my dd "outgrow" pop music?

My dd 11 is so into Hannah Montanna. We don't even have cable!!! She is always singing HM and prancing around pretending to be her. Right now she and a friend are practcing for their "concert" and they want me to come see it. I really don't want to!!!!

I would like dd to focus on something more important - like reading and learning something new!! She has a very good talent (I don't want to say what it is now for fear of someone figuring out who we are) and has had another adult in this field tell her she has a future in this area/business and currently she is volunteering to help out and she may even be able to be on their staff when she is older. Basically she has been singled out and is going to be "developed" in a particular area for the future.

I can't stand the singing anymore. There's Hannah Montanna singing. There's Wicked singing. I HATE the Wicked songs. They are awful to me. Too much screetching! Then dd took a break from Hannah and got into the Christian group Pure NRG. Again, 2 little bouncy pop singing girls and boy.

What's with all this "pop"???!! I can't stand it! Tell me anyone who has seen this fizzle out with theri dd. WILL it fizzle out??

What's hard is that my dd CAN sing and she is very pretty. I don't want to stifle her music and singing for her but why not something other than this teen-pop??? It's not like I don't think there's some catchy songs. I can get into it a little. But now I am overloaded and I want my dd to faze out of this.

Will she? When I was young I wanted to be Pat Benatar and I pranced around like her in black spandex pants. I grew out of it. The difference is I could never sing like Pat but my dd CAN sing like Hannah Montanna. It scares me. I am having a hard time dealing with "reality" and "dreaming" when it comes to music/singing. I don't want to squelch her dreams, but I don't want to spend my life nurturing this either, when she has so many other things *I* think she should be doing.

Are you truly saying you dont listen to Pat anymore. I still listen to her in car. And since hivers turned me on to Pandora, I listen to her on the computer. I dont think of Pat as pop.

My kids are all about all the teen idols, and I guess so were we. I think its a phase. Than they will have fun tormenting their kids with HM.

Thats the thing to drive them crazy, play Pat Benatar and dance around. That will do the trick.

Jet

Are you truly saying you dont listen to Pat anymore. I still listen to her in car. And since hivers turned me on to Pandora, I listen to her on the computer. I dont think of Pat as pop.

My kids are all about all the teen idols, and I guess so were we. I think its a phase. Than they will have fun tormenting their kids with HM.

Thats the thing to drive them crazy, play Pat Benatar and dance around. That will do the trick.

Jet

I don't think of Pat as "pop" but she was "it" back in the day. And my dd loves Pat and Stevie Nicks too. I even took her to see Stevie last year.

I hope this is a phase.

Many pop singers don't sing properly, and some end up damaging their voices. If your dd has performing talent, she could take voice lessons and learn to sing properly. Through voice lessons, she would be exposed to other kinds of music, too.

Wendi

Meh...sure she will....or not. I *do* know...that if you let her know how much you dislike it she will almost certainly like it that much more....LOL I have a Pop lover too...and I cannot stand Pop for the most part...so I do feel your pain...but I know my Mom HATED Madonna...and I know that, especially when I was mad at her, I used to try and torment her with it...LOL My poor Mother....I should probably call her right now and apologize AGAIN for how horrible I could be as a child....:D

... if my experience is indicative of the norm. I *still* listen to the rock and folk music of my youth and young adulthood: Dylan, Stones, Beatles, Neil Young, Joan Baez, Arlo Guthrie, Doors, Fleetwood Mac, Pat Benatar, Heart, Springsteen, ad nauseam. Heck, I've even found that I like some Green Day, Bright Eyes, and other music for the younger set.

Watch her concert and hold in your disappointment. If you can't stomach the music itself, be happy for her enthusiasm for the music.

*****I would like dd to focus on something more important - like reading and learning something new!! *****

*****I can't stand the singing anymore. There's Wicked singing. I HATE the Wicked songs. They are awful to me. Too much screetching!*****

*****What's with all this "pop"???!! I can't stand it!*****

*****I don't want to squelch her dreams, but I don't want to spend my life nurturing this either, when she has so many other things *I* think she should be doing.*****

BUT YOU SOUND JUST LIKE HER! :lol::lol::lol:

Just kidding, of course! It just struck me as funny, especially when you wrote about Pat Benetar at the end of your post!

Wink,

Astrid

I have a dd11 and she's also crazy for all the pop stuff - Hannah Montana, the Jonas Brothers, High School Musical, Camp Rock, yada yada.....not my thing, though I do like some pop stuff (just not those)......

When it drives me nuts, I stop and remember just how much my parents enjoyed me blasting this on my little pink ghetto blaster. ;)