Menu

Audio Book Suggestions for Boys ages 7,9 and 10

I will be watching my 7 and 9 yo grandsons this summer, along with my own 10 (11 in July) twin sons, of course;) And thought it might be good to schedule some "down time" into our day. I thought 30 minutes or so with an audio book for all might be good but I need suggestions. We've not done many audio books, we are big readers but haven't used this avenue very much. TIA.

Eleanor Estes: Pinky Pye or Ginger Pye

Lemonade Wars and Lemonade Crime by Jacqueline Davies

Anything by Roaldl Dahl

No Talking by Andrew Clements

Indian in the Cupboard

On th Wings of Heroes

Count down

The Great Brain

The Gammage Cup by Kendall

By the Great Horn Spoon

How to Eat Fried Worms

Edited by lauren

My son still loves the Naxos recordings, e.g. Tale of Troy, Greek Myths, More Greek Myths, Arabian Nights, Robin Hood. Go to amazon and search

Naxos Junior Classics audiobook. Flynn and Ferrie are the best we've found and Soames is a terrific reader.

Tantoo Cardinal's reading of Island of the Blue Dolphin is very good.

The Harry Potter and Hobbitt audio books are really well done. Others that my DS10 has enjoyed include the Sherlock Holmes collection, Eragon, Just So Stories, Tales of a FourthGrade Nothing, SuperFudge, and all of the Jim Wiess audios. (Especially his retelling of famous tales.)

Huge fan of Hank the Cowdog audio series here!!! I download these audio books on my kindle all the time! The author does the audio and has different voices for each character. In each story, Hank tells about life on the farm from the perspective of the dog...very funny. Each story also contains a short, silly song or two. I imagine the audio is alot more fun than the books, just because of the background sound effects and the authors great storytelling abilities. The books can be listened to in any order and even our small town library has many of the audio titles. My ds is 9 and loves Hank, but it really is something the entire family can enjoy together.

We've enjoyed Trumpet of the Swan and Charlotte's Web read by E.B. White, Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and James and the Giant Peach, Cleary's The Mouse and the Motorcycle and Ribsy, and Chronicles of Narnia. If you've got a good library system I'd try out what they have. We've found some lesser known but good audiobooks that way thought their names are escaping me at the moment!

Huge fan of Hank the Cowdog audio series here!!! I download these audio books on my kindle all the time! The author does the audio and has different voices for each character. In each story, Hank tells about life on the farm from the perspective of the dog...very funny. Each story also contains a short, silly song or two. I imagine the audio is alot more fun than the books, just because of the background sound effects and the authors great storytelling abilities. The books can be listened to in any order and even our small town library has many of the audio titles. My ds is 9 and loves Hank, but it really is something the entire family can enjoy together.

:iagree: We love Hank, too! The author intended the stories to be listened to. Reading them is just not the same experience.

Other books my boys enjoyed when they were younger:

Room One by Clements

A Year Down Yonder by Peck

Ruby Holler by Creech

George's Marvelous Medicine by Dahl

The BFG by Dahl