Menu

Classical Programs other than Classical Conversations?

Guest SolaAcademy

Guest SolaAcademy

Hello!

I really like the classical model and we tried CC last year but it wasn't a good fit for us. Are there any other classical Christian programs out there?

Thanks!

Tara

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
please let us know how this goes! I'm looking at it, but still not sure

I'm in week 4 and have decided to buy the other levels.

Pros:

Beautifully presented

Open and go

Uncluttered

Inexpensive

High quality materials

Option to spread 1 level over a year or do 2 levels a year

Cons:

The map stickers are not removeable. So we don't use them. I might change my mind about that at some point though.

The timeline cards are high quality, but I wish they were laminated. They get far more handling than the maps. Even though I take excellent care of our materials, I don't think 1 set of cards will last more than 2 levels.

However the cons are not so bothersome as to be anywhere near a deal breaker for me.

We are doing 1 week in 1 week. We are not in a coop.

For years, I've made my own plans and coordinated things. CCM does it for me. I have a morning meeting every day where we review/recite and do an activity or game. It takes about an hour with 8th, 6th, 5th, 2nd and young 1st Grader. It's very easy for the 8th grader. Right on target for the middles. The history and poetry are a doable challenge for the younger 2. And they greatly enjoy the rest.

I assign all the memory work except timeline as copy work. One section per day. (CCC & Latin prayer, history, science, poetry) I also assign drawings for history and science as appropriate. For example, I match up the history to an art page in one of my drawing through history or draw write now books. And they are drawing the atoms and elements for science. All the copy work/art is done in their best penmanship in a composition book for just this purpose. They are very proud of the resulting portfolio book.

With the exception of copy work, I view CCM as a supplement. Not a stand alone. Also, I am not doing any of the multiplication table memory. They know it well enough to make it pointless. I think that's the only part I'm not using. And I will use the geometry formulas later in the level.

It's been very doable for us and a huge time saver for me.

ETA: one more con-

We HATE the singing on the CD. Especially that the history is sung. The voice is high pitched and the tempo is not at all natural to the reading or to a repeating audience whatsoever. We thought it would be helpful for the Latin pronunciation, but it isn't. Ymmv.

Edited by Martha