Menu

Draw and Write programs

dalynnrmc

Draw and Write Through History, and Draw Write Now --

Tell me about the writing portions? Is it just blank lines and the kids are supposed to write whatever they want, per research about the animals or whatever the topic is? What do you have your kids write?

Have you used one or both of these? Did you like it/them? If you've used both, which did you like better?

TIA :D

I've used the DWN 7 and 8 a LOT. I've also used bits and pieces of the other volumes. Often we just do the backgrounds here, and not the main figure of the drawing. We have also experimented recently with leaving out the black lines and "painting" with our crayons, Augsburg style.

We've done a lot of geography here lately. For the maps, I have been scanning, cropping, enlarging and printing out the maps 8x11. The backgrounds of the pictures are great for biome study.

We have used the suggested sentences for copywork. We use the Spalding font. I handwrite the copywork on a piece of this paper and the students copy what I wrote onto their own paper. I tried switching us over AGAIN to the Cursive First font so I could just type and print out a "perfect" model, but it was an "epic fail"--using a term I picked up here. I've resolved myself to making lots of handwritten worksheets in the future.

When we just do the backgrounds, I often use sentences lifted from the yellow "Learn More" pages, or make them up myself, or lift sentences from our read aloud.

I have both but I don't use either as intended. ;)

I use Draw & Write Through History only for the drawing instruction. The rest I'm not so interested in. :o

Draw Write Now I use extensively through K-2. I have the kids draw the picture and copy one of the sentences. Then I have them write anywhere between 3-6 more sentences about the animal they drew (depending on their capabilities). They can be simple sentences like "Ducks are yellow," but eventually I start adding in rubrics such as their sentences must include one compound sentence or one complex sentence or must have a compound verb, etc.

The kids really seem to love doing this and never complain even when I add in the requirements. By grade 2 I usually have them write a mini story for some of their drawings.

For all of their writing they can draw inspiration from the copywork sentences in the text but they can't use the same sentence (except for the one they copy) and as they get older, I cover up the text in the book so all the writing is creative.

*shrug* Not very "classical" but it works for us. ;)

Thanks for your answers!

So... the DRN does have copywork sentences then. Good to know! I'm not all about handing them a blank sheet of paper and having them come up with whatever to write. Writing is like pulling teeth, so something fun - but prescribed with no extra work to it - is definitely up our alley.

BUT

I like the history basis of the DAWTH better. What's the story with the writing there? Copywork sentences or no?

Thanks for your answers!

So... the DRN does have copywork sentences then. Good to know! I'm not all about handing them a blank sheet of paper and having them come up with whatever to write. Writing is like pulling teeth, so something fun - but prescribed with no extra work to it - is definitely up our alley.

BUT

I like the history basis of the DAWTH better. What's the story with the writing there? Copywork sentences or no?

We use both, as my DDs LOVE to draw. We have all of the DWN, and 3 volumes of the DAWTH.

The history drawing has cursive sentences, a whole page full of it, for the child to copy. I actually don't use any of the handwriting sentences, but they are good summaries of the different civilizations.

We really enjoy both of these resources. I draw with them, as I love it so much. I have noticed as I do it with them, they keep a close eye on the techniques I use, and they copy them. Their pictures turn out better that way. I am by no means an excellent sketch artist, but I can draw if I see the lines someone else already drew. I can't look at you and sketch it, but if someone else did first, I might be able to copy it freehand. :001_huh:

Draw Write Now I use extensively through K-2. I have the kids draw the picture and copy one of the sentences. Then I have them write anywhere between 3-6 more sentences about the animal they drew (depending on their capabilities). They can be simple sentences like "Ducks are yellow," but eventually I start adding in rubrics such as their sentences must include one compound sentence or one complex sentence or must have a compound verb, etc.

What do you use for a sentence composition curriculum? This is something I am very interested in right now, for situations just like you mentioned above, and to use for spelling words.

We use both, as my DDs LOVE to draw. We have all of the DWN, and 3 volumes of the DAWTH.

The history drawing has cursive sentences, a whole page full of it, for the child to copy. I actually don't use any of the handwriting sentences, but they are good summaries of the different civilizations.

Excellent! This is what I couldn't figure out based on the samples. Thank you!

And thanks everyone for all of the input! :D

Just wanted to say we probably have used Dwn more then anything else. I never did the books in order but I suspect all eight books were completed by both kids. We used them for unit studies and supplements. The animal pictures also graced a lot of thank you notes when they were little!