Menu

Heat pump replacement saga and question about temperature settings

Well, 3 days of heat and thousands of $ later, we have a new American Standard heat pump in operation to cool our home. (http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=330404&mode=linear#post330404). The Goodman it replaced sits to the side of the driveway waiting to be hauled off by the AC guy later today. :-} I trust we did the right thing. The new system is so QUIET which is icing on the cake. The old unit literally disrupted our sleep regularly. I just have to believe the $1K bandaid we would have placed on the old one was better used in the new system carrying a 10yr warranty, etc, etc.

I'd love to hear from folks who live in hot/humid climates like ours. What do you set your thermostats at? This unit has a variable speed blower that supposed to leave things feeling cooler longer. We're trying out 78 degrees and we'll see how it goes.....

Me

For fun, I thought I'd share this YouTube video geared toward highlighting the outstanding feature of my old unit! :-P

(Please excuse the rare objectionable language in the script!) Imagine *this* right outside your bedroom window!!!! (AMerican Idol fans will appreciate the blurb at the end).

We (and by "we" I mean "I") set the thermostat at 75 during the day, 72 at night...not much of a difference, really, but it does seem to help *me* sleep better. I need cooler when I sleep. We also have ceiling fans in every room; I run the one in my bedroom every night of the year, all year round.

A neighbor keeps her thermostat at almost 80 :eek: I confess to being a heat wimp, and hope I can continue to pay to keep my home a little cooler than that.

I'd love to hear from folks who live in hot/humid climates like ours. What do you set your thermostats at? This unit has a variable speed blower that supposed to leave things feeling cooler longer. We're trying out 78 degrees and we'll see how it goes.....

Me

We set ours around 74/73' here during the day and 72/71' at night. Having the fan on helps it feel cooler.

79/80 day and night here. If we aer working in the house we will drop it down to 78.

I'd like to get a dehumidifier and attic fan to help out.

Ours reasoning is purely cost savings. I'm sure if we had a new unit with better ducting, insulation and new windows we'd be able to run it lower.

Someday!

Congrats on new unit. I think it might depend on house. Our old house had to be set at 78 because it had carpet and not good insulation.

New house can be set at 80, newer home, hardwood and stone floors. Nice in summer. Freeze in winter.

Jet

We live in hot, humid north Texas. Our temps are set on 80 as we speak. If you are too warm in the house, go sit on the porch for fifteen minutes or so. The house feels much cooler when you return from the hundred degree heat. :D (This is what my children hear a lot.)

I'm sure a new system will be massively more energy efficient. Enjoy.