Menu

What have you found to be the most effective vocabulary program for logic stage?

ereks mom

Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop. My DH did these growing up at his Catholic school (they are secular BTW) and swears by them for SAT prep. DD is currently working through Level B after finishing the two MCT Caesar's English books.

:iagree:

Both of my older girls are working through these. We had done a roots based vocab at one time, and although they were exposed to a larger quantity of words, they weren't using them so we had little retention. VW has a lot of application exercises so they are learning and remembering without rote memorization. We will use these through highschool.

I love lists and checklists. They comfort me. They aren't always the most effective way to handle certain subjects though.

My boys predominantly learned their vocabulary from reading and HEARING the KJV Bible, and studying Greek and Latin, and watching documentaries.

That doesn't stop me from putting together a word study program for my tutoring students :-0 I can't help myself. As I said, lists comfort ME. I'm not so sure it's best for them though.

I'm deeply attached to the McGuffey's Eclectic Word List and the Eclectic Readers, lately. And I like the audios available for them. 3/4 of vocabulary study to ME is being able to use the words when TALKING, not just silent reading and writing. We are harshly judged by our speech.

Half way through the McGuffey book 3, the word lists change from spelling to vocabulary. These books are NOT by grade.

I don't think there is a good pdf copy of book 4 anywhere free online. Those that are called book 4 are not. The Gutenberg versions are good for copy and paste, but not so good for printing. The Gutenberg is the only real revised Eclectic Book 4 that I know of, and Book 4 is probably what you want. Also the word list isn't available for free either. I bought the CD I linked to above, and at some point hope to buy hard copies of the orange and blue readers.

I just looked at the webpage for vocabulary workshop, what books do I need to order (tight budget here!)

The middle/highschool levels are very inexpensive on amazon. I haven't found that I need the TMs. I also have my dc write their work in a composition book so I can re-use the workbooks for younger dc. I just look over their work a couple times a week to check for errors. Honestly though, the few times my dc have gotten something wrong they've realized it through the work they've done in the next section and been able to correct it themselves.

I've not used the elementary levels, but the middle school and up should just be started at grade level. A=6th grade, B=7th and so on.

Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop. My DH did these growing up at his Catholic school (they are secular BTW) and swears by them for SAT prep. DD is currently working through Level B after finishing the two MCT Caesar's English books.

Do you think teacher's editions are needed for these workbooks?

I think I can figure out the answers. I would only want the teacher's book if it offered more words and a lot more info than just answers:)

I think I can figure out the answers. I would only want the teacher's book if it offered more words and a lot more info than just answers:)

I haven't seen the TMs but dd14 is on level C and I haven't found that I needed the TM for anything.

I have the TM, and it basically is just an answer key. It's a timesaver for me so I probably will continue to get them as DD moves through VW, but I could do it without it in a pinch.

Would this a good choice for families not learning Latin and Greek?

Are you looking for a roots-based program? While there is a small amount of roots work in VW, it primarily focuses on studying whole words. For example, one of the words in an early unit of VW Level B is adjacent. VW does not discuss the etymology of the word (though I personally added it in on my own).

I tried using WORD roots books A1 A2 B1 and B2 from The Critical Thinking CO. and it was so dry. BOOORRRRRing. I thought it was me for a long time just being an unprepared teacher until I gave it all my might. I am selling it to someone who would benefit because we sure did not. It was organized though--not enough practice IMO.:glare:

Each VW book is self-contained so you can start at any level. The words simply get more challenging as the series goes on. I started my DD in Level B of VW after finishing MCT's Caesar's English II because the words appeared to be at a similar challenge level. In fact, a few of the words in VW B are repeats of words covered in the CE series (pervade and orthodox are examples).