Menu

would you include an SAT prep class on a transcript?

Would you give your child credit on a transcript for an SAT prep class taken through a high school co-op? It's a year-long class (meeting once per week for an hour and a half, with other assignments to be completed at home).

The course description is as follows:

This is no ordinary SAT Prep Class! While polishing those skills tested on the SAT, we will have fun doing it! We will play Jeopardy, watch Standard Deviant videos, and include other activities to make this class interactive and engaging. Content will include all 3 sections of the SAT. Materials to be used include College Prep Genius (which students will be required to purchase- we will obtain a discount code to give you), a program used by Jean Burk, whose sons earned fully paid scholarships.

Other materials include the SAT Prep video series by Standard Deviants, Becoming a Problem Solving Genius - A Handbook of Math Strategies, 100 Math Tips for the SAT and How to Master Them Now!, The SAT and College Preparation Course for the Christian Student, Ace the SAT Writing - Even if You Hate to Write, IEW High School Essay Intensive - SAT Preparation and College Application Essay Strategies, College Board The Official SAT Study Guide (which is highly recommended for all students to have).

Also, if you would recommend including it on the transcript, how would you title it? SAT prep? Introduction to Study Skills?

No, I would not give credit for that class.

My personal opinon (and I know some folks will disagree with me) is that the SAT/ACT are designed to assess a student's preparation for college, assuming that preparation is the result of his or her high school studies. The tests are not intended to show how well a student can do on a test.

So, work that is specifically designed to help the student do better on the test isn't, in my view of education, academic and isn't worthy of credit.

My personal opinon (and I know some folks will disagree with me) is that the SAT/ACT are designed to assess a student's preparation for college, assuming that preparation is the result of his or her high school studies. The tests are not intended to show how well a student can do on a test.

So, work that is specifically designed to help the student do better on the test isn't, in my view of education, academic and isn't worthy of credit.

:iagree:

What Jenny said.

I do not give credit for test preparation. (Btw, I do not consider tricks and strategies how to beat a specific test to be study skills.)

ETA: A major reason I do not give credit for stuff like this is that I do not want admission officials to think we need to pad the transcript because we did not do enough academic work. If there are enough real academic credits, no college is going to care about a "study skills" credit - that's only useful for remedial students who don't have enough credits otherwise.

Edited by regentrude

Originally Posted by Jenny in Florida View Post

I agree. I would NOT give any credit for a SAT prep class.

1) I consider SAT studying to be a part of life in the 21st century and not an separate academic subject.

2) I want the colleges to think that my kids NATURALLY scored as well as they did, with no extra effort on their part! :tongue_smilie:

In my area the public schools are on a block schedule. They offer ACT Prep - English & Reading worth .5 credit. They also offer ACT Prep - Math & Science worth .5 credit. My opinion is that if public schools do it so can you.

Our local schools do an SAT prep course, 1 semester, 1/2 credit.

No.

There are no test prep classes at the local schools. I consider that something you do outside of your regular school work. Many co-op classes fit under extracurricular rather than academic slots in my opinion.

I would possibly include some of the writing assignments in the year's English credit, depending on how extensive the writing is and the quality of the instructor.