Menu

Phonics, LoE, Spalding, Saxton

BugsMama

I think Essentials was easier for me to buy than it may be for other people, because I also know I'm not going to be breezing through it quickly and then looking to move on.

I'm in a similar position. I recently bought LOE for my older ds, who reads on grade level, but still can't spell to save his life. (He probably can't spell "life.") However, I have a 1st grader coming along who'll also be able to benefit from it, which made the cost easier to rationalize.

At this point though, I'd probably still have bought the program just for my 6th grader. I just don't know how to help him. He's different than my other kids. He's not a visual learner. He can't make the leap from a word approximation to the correctly written word. He's been through several spelling programs and a few phonics programs with little improvement. He's a bright kid, and I don't believe he has a learning disability. I just don't think I'm teaching him spelling in the way he needs to be taught.

I'd recommend buying the author's book before purchasing the Essentials curriculum. The bulk of the concepts are in there. I read the book, then saw her speak at a conference before deciding that this might be what he needs.

I'm not worried about getting him to college level with spelling. If I can get him to a 5th/6th grade level, I'm sure I can carry on beyond that.

I already own the set as well. We haven't started it yet, but will be in the fall. I really think the way Denise breaks things down for you to teach your dc, will be something that you can emulate on your own once you are through. This teaching style works for me. Working through LOE will be just as much about me learning as it is him.

Ok, I MUST get off these boards now and get some work done. :lol:

So much of this is discussed in the manual. It is why I recommend sitting down and reading it as if it were a good novel (albeit without much of a plot :lol: ), not trying to figure out how to do it, but just reading what it says. I still get chilly bumps. Spalding geek. :D

:001_huh: I think this is why I am frustrated with the manual. I've read it. I've read it three times.... and I will read it again. I *love* what it says. But it still leaves me feeling like it is missing some vital part that makes me feel like I know what I am doing.

(I think this is where I put the "it's me, not you....." break up line for WRTR)

Edited by BugsMama
Punctuation, Spelling, All that stuff I ignore while multitasking

I

(I think this is where I put the "it's me, not you....." break up line for WRTR)

:lol: Too funny!

I love WRTR. I have it on my nightstand! I have read it many times. I will not sell it. I will probably just continue to read it and reread it. I get more out of it each time.

But I'm going to use LOE. :blushing:

:001_huh: I think this is why I am frustrated with the manual. I've read it. I've read it three time.... and I will read it again. I *love* what it says. But it still leaves me feeling like it is missing some vital part that makes me feel like I know what I am doing....

What do you think it's missing? IOW, what can I do to help?

When you say you've read it, do you mean beginning with the introduction, every page?

Chapter 1 (which is, like, 100 pages into the book) is "The Spelling Lesson." There are many pages that explain why and how, pictures and diagrams. On page 19 is the chart "Procedure for Introducing Phonograms 1-8 With Precise Dialogue." You do that, step by step, but of course you now have a deep knowledge of why Spalding works, and you have the multiple pages explaining the steps before you get to the chart.

Page 39 begins describing the procedure for oral review, page 41, the written review. Page 42 is where the manual explains how to teach spelling--an overview, the Extended Ayres Word List, the notebook, and so on; page 49 gives the procedures; page 50 gives an example dialogue...

And there you go.

The manual isn't simply a list of steps; it's teaching *you* to teach, and the philosophy behind Spalding, so you know in your heart of hearts why it's so excellent, and so that you can be flexible enough to meet your children's needs. You don't tweak the method, but you can take more time or less time to teach.

What do you think it's missing? IOW, what can I do to help?

When you say you've read it, do you mean beginning with the introduction, every page?

I did read all of it, each time. Less in depth the first time.... It went something like this

Speed read time 1- fist pump while yelling to DH that THIS is what I mean when I said I wanted a better way to teach phonics, and spelling.

Read slowly time 2- with notepad. try and take notes. End up with scribbles, eat ice cream. Finish book and tell DH I am not so sure about this....

Read slower time 3, with ice cream and cookies. Get chocolate on page. Tell DH it is STILL the right "way" but maybe someone else could do it better. Walk away.

Buy more chocolate, get on message board. Try and talk myself out of it, and into something that "makes more sense" (like LOE)

And then you ask what doesn't make sense about WRTR, and.....

***crickets***

I'm going to read it again. This time in the bath, with no ice cream and no note pad. Short of dropping it in the tub, maybe I will be able to put my finger on what it is I think it's missing, and more clear questions.

I don't know if it says something about me that I really can't figure out WHAT it is that I "don't get". The message resonates, and that matters for something. I know I like Spalding and O-G ideas. I just need to figure out why the manual "lost me".

From the top of my head- When I get to actually teaching it- If I turn to any given page of the ayers list, the words are there, they are marked, and the rule is listed. I can look at the word and see that I need the third sound of the phonogram "a" and th is a phonogram, and that it is spelling rule 26, BUT, I want to open up a teachers manual, and see that it is those things, and also HAVE spelling rule 26 written out on the page, and a reminder of what that third sound is, and so on. I want the teacher instruction right there on the page with the words list. I want to be taught how to teach AS I am teaching. I feel like WRTR doesn't do that. It gives you the tools and ideas up front, and they are good, but I want to be reminded of them, in print, with my hand held, as I go along. I'm sure over time I will remember them, but I still want to see them there on the page. I don't see it working, the way it is written out, for me, because of the level of handholding I really *want*.

(so again.... thanks for the patience, AND the help. I'll get back to you on that If I can get the crickets to go away and the well phrased questions to come)

IFrom the top of my head- When I get to actually teaching it- If I turn to any given page of the ayers list, the words are there, they are marked, and the rule is listed. I can look at the word and see that I need the third sound of the phonogram "a" and th is a phonogram, and that it is spelling rule 26, BUT, I want to open up a teachers manual, and see that it is those things, and also HAVE spelling rule 26 written out on the page, and a reminder of what that third sound is, and so on. I want the teacher instruction right there on the page with the words list. I want to be taught how to teach AS I am teaching. I feel like WRTR doesn't do that. It gives you the tools and ideas up front, and they are good, but I want to be reminded of them, in print, with my hand held, as I go along. I'm sure over time I will remember them, but I still want to see them there on the page. I don't see it working, the way it is written out, for me, because of the level of handholding I really *want*.

But it is all right there. It's in the manual.

Maybe you're over-thinking it. (What? Someone on TWTM forum overthinking something? Inconceivable!!!:lol:)

You don't need to notice what the third sound is. You and your dc will have learned and drilled and written that phonogram multiple times before you get to the spelling word that uses it. You can have part 1 of the manual open to the rules (p. 223 in the 5th edition), and you quote the rule together (although actually, you don't always write the rule notation or repeat the rule number. You wouldn't, for example, actually quote rule 29, even though you are teaching a rule of syllabication.

(so again.... thanks for the patience, AND the help. I'll get back to you on that If I can get the crickets to go away and the well phrased questions to come)

::listening for the crickets::

***crickets***

I'm going to read it again.

I don't know if it says something about me that I really can't figure out WHAT it is that I "don't get". The message resonates, and that matters for something. I know I like Spalding and O-G ideas. I just need to figure out why the manual "lost me".

From the top of my head- When I get to actually teaching it- If I turn to any given page of the ayers list, the words are there, they are marked, and the rule is listed. I can look at the word and see that I need the third sound of the phonogram "a" and th is a phonogram, and that it is spelling rule 26, BUT, I want to open up a teachers manual, and see that it is those things, and also HAVE spelling rule 26 written out on the page, and a reminder of what that third sound is, and so on. I want the teacher instruction right there on the page with the words list. I want to be taught how to teach AS I am teaching. I feel like WRTR doesn't do that. It gives you the tools and ideas up front, and they are good, but I want to be reminded of them, in print, with my hand held, as I go along. I'm sure over time I will remember them, but I still want to see them there on the page. I don't see it working, the way it is written out, for me, because of the level of handholding I really *want*.

:iagree: - this is me now: :banghead:

:001_smile: Hunter, I would expect nothing less from someone with this quote as part of her signature:

Shooting for the moon, without the resources to get there, can leave you stranded in outer space.

LOE reminds me of taking off with a package of seeds, water and miracle grow, and only half a tank of oxygen, with the expectation that the plants will be mature enough to give off all the oxygen I'll need, before the oxygen runs out. And Denise added a special surprise. She outfitted the ship with new and improved oxygen tanks that are not compatible with the systems on other space ships, so there will be no rescue from another ship. All I'll have is my seeds. No worries though, because the seeds are new and improved too! :-)

I did read all of it, each time. Less in depth the first time.... It went something like this

Speed read time 1- fist pump while yelling to DH that THIS is what I mean when I said I wanted a better way to teach phonics, and spelling.

Read slowly time 2- with notepad. try and take notes. End up with scribbles, eat ice cream. Finish book and tell DH I am not so sure about this....

Read slower time 3, with ice cream and cookies. Get chocolate on page. Tell DH it is STILL the right "way" but maybe someone else could do it better. Walk away.

Buy more chocolate, get on message board. Try and talk myself out of it, and into something that "makes more sense" (like LOE)

***crickets***

I'm going to read it again. This time in the bath, with no ice cream and no note pad. Short of dropping it in the tub, maybe I will be able to put my finger on what it is I think it's missing, and more clear questions.

:lol: Yup, and just extend the torture and expense with the heavy and slippery and shiny guides, and the videos claiming it's a good curriculum for low income schools, but then models the use of smartboards and clickers. The videos provided some good belly laughs though for a variety of reasons, that I'm sure were not intentional.

I suggest pizza for the videos though. That is if you have any money left. If not, I posted my bread recipe in the budgeting thread, if the video purchase reduces you to tea and toast.

Edited by Hunter

Bugs,

Have you looked at "Starting a Spelling Notebook: A Nuts and Bolts Guide to the Writing Road to Reading?" It may be what you are looking for. It breaks WRTR down into daily lesson plans and is inexpensive - $12 on amazon.

Never heard of it, but I'm off to check it out! :auto:

Interesting..... I'll have to check that out too.

I spent last night watching all the videos on you tube for LOE, and now you are back tempting me with WRTR.... Sigh. So many good options.

Interesting..... I'll have to check that out too.

I spent last night watching all the videos on you tube for LOE, and now you are back tempting me with WRTR.... Sigh. So many good options.

I have not seen that particular item, but I will say that everything I've seen that's supposed to somehow make WRTR "easier to understand" makes changes in the Spalding Method, for no good reason.

Bugs,

Have you looked at "Starting a Spelling Notebook: A Nuts and Bolts Guide to the Writing Road to Reading?" It may be what you are looking for. It breaks WRTR down into daily lesson plans and is inexpensive - $12 on amazon.

I heard that this was more helpful to the 4th edition, than the 5th and 6th, and now considered redundant.

I own Phonics Road Level 1. This weekend at our conference I bought the new edition of WRTR and a used Sound Beginnings for a steal of $1. I stopped by LoE table and looked at their curriculum. I just couldn't take the plunge. Maybe because I'd already spent an arm and a leg for PR last year. I don't know why for sure, maybe it was the reasons Hunter brought up.

I did buy her fabulous laminated cheat sheet and the spelling journal though. Only less than $30 of damage. :001_smile:

The videos are not something I would have spent my money on, unless the financial factor is not an issue for you and you feel they will help in some way. Spalding International has uploaded some free videos you can watch instead. When I first discovered them, they only had K. It seems they have added several more.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSpaldingMethod?feature=watch

We will be starting some time in the fall, just spelling for my oldest and my goal is to do integrated lessons for my little guy, hopefully until grade 1 or 2.

I know it seems daunting! Trust me, I've been there! I love the Spalding method though because, like you, it makes so much sense to me. I am just going to take the plunge and figure things out as I go.

Ellie is always here and willing to help :D. She has no personal gain from this. When I placed my order I checked her blog for an affiliate link since she has been so helpful and did not find one. She has never given an associate link or encouraged anyone here to use one, so I know she is sincere when she is looking to help. She knows the value of Spalding (a self-proclaimed Spalding geek, as you know), has used it herself for many years, and is willing to help those of us just starting out.

Of course what you end up with is up to you, and if LoE is what you feel you need, then definitely go for it.

I recently purchased the 6th edition. I own the 5th and ordered the 6th for some added resources that are on there. I discovered that I love how the 6th is organized and can see it complimenting my 5th very well. I also own a grade 1 TG and several materials from Spalding International. I am glad I bought them, but as Ellie always says, they are not necessary.

Edited by Guest

Thanks Marie!

You have all been so helpful!

I did order LOE this week, And a newer edition of WRTR.... I am still not sure which I am going to use. I wish I lived somewhere I could see these things without purchasing them, but oh well, I can return or sell whatever I don't use.

Something is bound to work.....

I did want to ask Ellie- Is there a different book title I should be looking for to read about spalding the philosophy instead of WRTR the manual if I wanted to learn more about it, rather than how to do it?

Bugs,

I got this is the mail yesterday. I thought it was a bit much money for what it was. However, I really enjoyed it. It was like having a friend sit beside you and tell you how to understand the WRTR. The one I bought was designed to go with the 5th ed of WRTR. You definitely have to own WRTR to use this guide.

In the first half of the guide, she basically tells you how to do it, referencing page numbers to the WRTR. In essence, she reorganizes things, the way we all wish they were organized in the manual.

In the second half of the guide, she gives 3 diferent ways your daily lesson plans might look. She says there are more ways to do it obviously, but here are three basic "recipe" cards to get you started on how your lesson might look each day.

In the end, I really liked the guide. I wish I had known about it earlier because it really did lay things out nicely.

However, having read the manual a billion times now, this is something I did already figure out on my own and it is really nothing different than what Ellie keeps typing up here over and over again on how to do it.

The videos are not something I would have spent my money on, unless the financial factor is not an issue for you and you feel they will help in some way. Spalding International has uploaded some free videos you can watch instead. When I first discovered them, they only had K. It seems they have added several more.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSpaldingMethod?feature=watch

We will be starting some time in the fall, just spelling for my son Adrian and my goal is to do integrated lessons for my little guy, hopefully until grade 1 or 2.

I know it seems daunting! Trust me, I've been there! I love the Spalding method though because, like you, it makes so much sense to me. I am just going to take the plunge and figure things out as I go.

Ellie is always here and willing to help :D. She has no personal gain from this. When I placed my order I checked her blog for an affiliate link since she has been so helpful and did not find one. She has never given an associate link or encouraged anyone here to use one, so I know she is sincere when she is looking to help. She knows the value of Spalding (a self-proclaimed Spalding geek, as you know), has used it herself for many years, and is willing to help those of us just starting out.

Of course what you end up with is up to you, and if LoE is what you feel you need, then definitely go for it.

I recently purchased the 6th edition. I own the 5th and ordered the 6th for some added resources that are on there. I discovered that I love how the 6th is organized and can see it complimenting my 5th very well. I also own a grade 1 TG and several materials from Spalding International. I am glad I bought them, but as Ellie always says, they are not necessary.

Marie, thanks so much for the link! :) I didn't know about the new youtube videos.

If anyone is thinking of buying the videos, beware that the main video series is all done by the shorter haired blonde, doing the 1st and 5th grade videos. They are not like the videos where the students are being instructed by their real teacher, in some of these youtube videos. It's looks like the longer haired blonde in the green plaid shirt doing the 3rd grade, is in the 1 hour comprehension video that is available separate from the complete series. Hmm...I may need to save up for that.

I need to watch my videos again, while my brain is clearer. It's just a matter of time though, until I start seizing again and fry my ability to multitask though, so sometimes I wonder why I bother :-0 I guess I'm just a phonics geek :lol:

I really hope they continue to make REAL videos of REAL teachers. The contrast of the staged and the real is significant to me.

I got this is the mail yesterday. I thought it was a bit much money for what it was. However, I really enjoyed it. It was like having a friend sit beside you and tell you how to understand the WRTR. The one I bought was designed to go with the 5th ed of WRTR. You definitely have to own WRTR to use this guide.

In the first half of the guide, she basically tells you how to do it, referencing page numbers to the WRTR. In essence, she reorganizes things, the way we all wish they were organized in the manual.

In the second half of the guide, she gives 3 diferent ways your daily lesson plans might look. She says there are more ways to do it obviously, but here are three basic "recipe" cards to get you started on how your lesson might look each day.

In the end, I really liked the guide. I wish I had known about it earlier because it really did lay things out nicely.

However, having read the manual a billion times now, this is something I did already figure out on my own and it is really nothing different than what Ellie keeps typing up here over and over again on how to do it.

Thanks for the review. It's different than the other reviews I heard. I think there was an earlier edition of the book that went with the 4th. I probably read old information. I'm not sure. I do think I remember reading there is more than one edition of this book.

I'm a phonics junkie too, but I can't for the life of me remember what LoE stands for. :confused: I know I'll feel stupid when one of you tells me, but I'm tired of searching the thread for the answer. VERY INTERESTING thread!!!!

Thanks,

Kyle

Thanks so much. Now I have something else to check out. We have been using AAS, I have First Start Readers from Memoria Press, I have Reading Reflex, AAR, I just bought The ordinary Parent's Guide, we have used The Phonics Museum, Sing, Spell, Read and Write, and Hooked on Phonics.

Do I qualify as a Phonics junkie??? LOL!!!!:D

and no one should ever feel dumb on a thread where I misspell saxon in the title :lol:.... especially the title of a thread on SPELLING programs

Funny!!!

Oh, and I have been eyeballing the WRTR because we do Classical Conversations and that is the phonics program they recommend. GRRRRR!!!!

MY POOR KIDS!!!!

"Starting a Spelling Notebook: A Nuts and Bolts Guide to the WRTR 5th Edition" was mentioned on page 7 of this thread. I just bought it this morning at a curriculum sale for...25 cents. Score!

I wanted to pass on info on another spelling notebook that I also bought for 50 cents. It is called the "Tricks of the Trade: A Student's Individualized Spelling Notebook." It it a companion to the Teacher Edition of How To Teach Any Child To Spell. I think this will be a good resource for my struggling speller.

Hmmm...I also have the spelling notebook from LOE. Am I now officially becoming a curriculum junkie??:tongue_smilie:

"

Hmmm...I also have the spelling notebook from LOE. Am I now officially becoming a curriculum junkie??:tongue_smilie:

OOO- This is the one part I *didn't* order because I couldn't figure out what it was.... so.... what it it???

And yes, I crown you both Phonics Addicts. Welcome to the club!

"OOO- This is the one part I *didn't* order because I couldn't figure out what it was.... so.... what it it???"

The LOE Spelling Journal basically has pages to organize words based upon the sounds and spelling options. For instance, the first four pages focus on the long /a/ sound. Each page is separated into 2 columns, with a phonogram that makes the long /a/ sound at the top of each column (a-e, ai, ay, ea, ei, etc.). So, your dc would just write words they need to master in the appropriate column.

The Starting a Spelling Notebook that goes with the WRTR 5th Edition is just a guide. It explains how to set up and use a spelling notebook with the program, but your dc do not actually write in this book.

The Tricks of the Trade book is similar to the LOE journal, but more in depth. It has rules at the top of the page when appropriate. For example, for /g/, there is a page that is divided into 2 columns. One column has 'g' /g/ game with the rule underneath: use 'g' for the /g/ sound before a, u, o. The second column has 'g' /j/ in ginger & age, with the rule underneath stating" Use 'g' for the /j/ sound before e, i, and y. It also includes sections on syllables and vowels to show which phonogram to use at the end of root words, pages to show how to add suffixes, etc. I think that I will like this book and for the price of 50 cents, it is totally worth it.

Thanks Marie!

You have all been so helpful!

I did order LOE this week, And a newer edition of WRTR.... I am still not sure which I am going to use. I wish I lived somewhere I could see these things without purchasing them, but oh well, I can return or sell whatever I don't use.

Something is bound to work.....

I did want to ask Ellie- Is there a different book title I should be looking for to read about spalding the philosophy instead of WRTR the manual if I wanted to learn more about it, rather than how to do it?

You're welcome :). Try doing a search for older threads. Just put Spalding or WRTR in the search engine. Also, in an older thread, I took Ellie's post and made a Word document. I did not edit her words at all. I just put the steps in numerical order because I am a step 1, step 2... kind of person ;).

[ATTACH]9052[/ATTACH]

Marie, thanks so much for the link! :) I didn't know about the new youtube videos.

You're welcome. Hope you find them useful. I have not had the chance to watch the others yet. I have only watched the ones for K that I had watched when I originally came across them. Hopefully I will get to watch them today or tomorrow.

(and no one should ever feel dumb on a thread where I misspell saxon in the title :lol:.... especially the title of a thread on SPELLING programs)

:lol:

I have been looking at LoE this morning and am intriqued. So is this to start with a student that has completed a reading program already??? The first page in the workbook seem geared to a child who is older that say a Ker or 1st grade. I can't find what age it is recommended for. I have only taken a cursory look at the website though.

Thanks,

Kyle

I have been looking at LoE this morning and am intriqued. So is this to start with a student that has completed a reading program already??? The first page in the workbook seem geared to a child who is older that say a Ker or 1st grade. I can't find what age it is recommended for. I have only taken a cursory look at the website though.

Thanks,

Kyle

The Essentials curriculum from LOE was written for a student who might be older but who needs to have some remedial work in spelling and/or grammar. It is a complete curriculum.

However, Denise has also written a schedule for how to use the Essentials curriculum with the younger student (which basically is working through the material at a much slower pace and doing more of the extra practice and games). She has schedules for how to pace this curriculum for different age groups and needs.

You're welcome. Hope you find them useful. I have not had the chance to watch the others yet. I have only watched the ones for K that I had watched when I originally came across them. Hopefully I will get to watch them today or tomorrow.

Marie, I like the new avatar! You look so regal! Like a phonics queen :-)

How much grammar is taught in LoE? Is diagramming taught? I wish I could just look at all these different curriculi, but they are nowhere around!

I haven't used the program, but I do have it here. Someone else will probably be able to answer your question better than I can.

I think the grammar program looks very full; however, there is no diagramming. The student marks the words with parts of speech, but no real diagramming.