Menu

Those who sew or know fashion... What kind of sleeves are these?

cap sleeve or raglan sleeve -- a raglan sleeve is a sleeve that doesn't have a seam around the shoulder part/armpit part of the sleeve -- essentially it is the same piece of the dress as the bodice. i hope that makes sense.

Yes, that is what I like about the dress. I think it would be adorable in a longer version. Possibly down to just below the knee. The cap sleeves I googled seem to be shorter, so I am thinking raglan.

I think it looks like a dolman sleeve. A dolman top has a front and back piece with no separate sleeves sewn into it. The sleeves are part of top without any sleeve seams.

A raglan sleeve is a little different. It has a diagonal sleeve seam that goes from the collar to the underarm. There were popular t-shirts in the 80's that had 3/4 length sleeves in a color that match the collar, while the body of the shirt was white. Those were raglan sleeves.

Cap sleeves have a seam too. They are just very short sleeves sewn into the armscye.

I *think* Kimono sleeves. It's hard to tell since the top is white, but there is no set-in sleeve or seam, right? Just all one piece with the bodice?

:iagree:

It looks like one piece of material folded over with no shoulder seams; it looks like there's a facing around the neck, narrow hem on the sleeves, and the entire piece is seamed at the empire waistline and under the arms. If so, I guess you call that kimono style.

IF you are speaking of just the sleeve length, and are envisioning a seam around the arm hole, those are called cap/capped sleeves.

It is really hard to see where the seams are in the photograph. The dress is adorable tho! A raglin sleeve is set in under the arm ( think baseball tees)

A cap sleeve is a short sleeve. It can been a set in sleeve, a raglin sleeve or a an extension of the bodice with a seam at the shoulder and under the arm.

Your picture appears to be an extension of the bodice as I don't see any seams.

You can get a good look at the cut here (the designer gives some suggestions for mixing it up a bit): http://shwinandshwin.blogspot.com/2012/02/maggie-dress-from-maggie-mae-pattern.html

I think it looks like a dolman sleeve. A dolman top has a front and back piece with no separate sleeves sewn into it. The sleeves are part of top without any sleeve seams.

QUOTE]

Dolman sleeve is what it is. They can be a traditional length or a short cap version which is what your dress is.

QUOTE]

Dolman sleeve is what it is. They can be a traditional length or a short cap version which is what your dress is.

:iagree:

It is a short sleeve dolman with boat neck.