Menu

Improving communication in marriage?

If you were the stong, silent type due to having grown up in a stoic-to-the-point-of-disfunctional family and you realized that your marriage was suffering due to your inability to communicate well, where would you go for help? Book suggestions would be great.

ETA: I'm the strong and silent one, just to clarify.

Edited by Moxie

My husband did, but it took a catalyst that almost destroyed our marriage, so I wouldn't suggest that route. I will say, though, that having a third party "interpret" for us (him, mostly) was helpful in having him "hear" what was said, rather than assume the ostrich position until the talking stopped. (which is typical of his family; they almost ball up like pill bugs if anything even smell like it might be not-pleasant.)

What about the Five Love Languages?

Check out Love and Respect - its a book, but also a weekend conference and a DVD series. My dh and I went to the weekend conference and a few years later did the DVD series over several weeks (once a week) with other couples. My dh felt like this was the first time he had felt validated for his feelings as a man. We live in such a "pink" world.

I liked the Love and Respect series, we did it in a Bible Study group at church.

We're currently going through the Hold Me Tight book with our marriage counselor.

I also read a book once called Men Are Clams, Women Are Crowbars. It was pretty insightful. In our marriage, the roles are reversed, so I gave it to my husband to read. ;)

If you were the stong, silent type due to having grown up in a stoic-to-the-point-of-disfunctional family and you realized that your marriage was suffering due to your inability to communicate well, where would you go for help? Book suggestions would be great.

ETA: I'm the strong and silent one, just to clarify.

I don't have any advice, but I'm the silent type too. I hate discussing my feelings, etc.

I liked the Love and Respect series, we did it in a Bible Study group at church.

We're currently going through the Hold Me Tight book with our marriage counselor.

I also read a book once called Men Are Clams, Women Are Crowbars. It was pretty insightful. In our marriage, the roles are reversed, so I gave it to my husband to read. ;)

So if your roles are reversed (like mine are) how did those studies go in a group? I always assumed they just pidgeon-holed people in into their typical women are from venus, men are from mars types and I would be frustrated.

Check out Love and Respect - its a book, but also a weekend conference and a DVD series. My dh and I went to the weekend conference and a few years later did the DVD series over several weeks (once a week) with other couples. My dh felt like this was the first time he had felt validated for his feelings as a man. We live in such a "pink" world.

:iagree::iagree: I can't tell you HOW much this book helped us...and we had a pretty decent marriage before we read it. We also went to the conference...the DVDs are basically the conference, so if you're able, it would be good, too. My dh doesn't really like to read, so the conf. was helpful. He felt that his feelings and identity were finally validated . I finally understand a whole lot better.

My dh comes from dysfunctional communicators and it has been a struggle for us to find a happy median to meet at for that area. I am happy to say he is the most emotionally healthy of all his brothers and 1 sister. I've given up on his mom...I just smile and do small talk. Nothing serious or of significance has ever been talked about with her. Don't give up- it's worth persevering. True understanding of each other helps the road go smoothly. It took my dh a long time to really know WHAT he thought/felt. He'd never thought much about it when we first got married. It was worth the hard work for both of us to get better.

I would like to talk about my feelings but I. just. can't. How do you overcome that??

I love Gottman's work:

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Marriages-Succeed-Fail-Yours/dp/0684802414

I think you'll find hope for the strong silent type in this book.

E.g.

"When you don't put the laundry in the drier, it puts me behind" rather than "Why can't you remember to move the wash along!" The first is a statement of fact and the other an expression of feeling. The first is more effective.

So if your roles are reversed (like mine are) how did those studies go in a group? I always assumed they just pidgeon-holed people in into their typical women are from venus, men are from mars types and I would be frustrated.

Well, we only did the Love and Respect series in a group, and I didn't think much in that book challenged the ways the roles are reversed in our marriage. The other we're doing in counseling, just the two of us.

What helped me the most was that we went to a marriage conference once, called Weekend to Remember. They're all different, but the one we went to, the couple leading it were reversed- he was the talker, she was the clam. That was the most validating experience for me. I think I assumed I would have to change in order for our marriage to work, figured I was broken. But seeing a woman like me, with a husband like mine, and seeing that they were able to coach other couples- that just made me feel better about embracing who I am. And it helped my husband see that I didn't have to change.

I would recommend Hold Me Tight as a book you could even just read on your own. It is pretty eye-opening in the descriptions of the toxic conversation patterns couples get into. At the same time we started that, on my own I read Adult Children of Dysfunction and this also gave me a TON of insight into both mine and my husband's families.

Well, we only did the Love and Respect series in a group, and I didn't think much in that book challenged the ways the roles are reversed in our marriage. The other we're doing in counseling, just the two of us.

What helped me the most was that we went to a marriage conference once, called Weekend to Remember. They're all different, but the one we went to, the couple leading it were reversed- he was the talker, she was the clam. That was the most validating experience for me. I think I assumed I would have to change in order for our marriage to work, figured I was broken. But seeing a woman like me, with a husband like mine, and seeing that they were able to coach other couples- that just made me feel better about embracing who I am. And it helped my husband see that I didn't have to change.

I would recommend Hold Me Tight as a book you could even just read on your own. It is pretty eye-opening in the descriptions of the toxic conversation patterns couples get into. At the same time we started that, on my own I read Adult Children of Dysfunction and this also gave me a TON of insight into both mine and my husband's families.

Thanks