Menu

When people tell you why you're homeschooling...

Today at my sons' lacrosse game, I was talking to the mother of another player on the sidelines. Over the course of the game, we talked about our kids going to summer camp, her son's upcoming birthday party that my boys (along with the whole lacrosse team) are invited to, how great it is that so many of the boys are also on the same baseball team, getting the kids together next weekend to play laser tag etc. Near the end of the game, the topic of school came up and I explained that we homeschool. She responded that it sounds like a lot of work, but that it's wonderful that I keep my children away from other kids to avoid peer pressure and too much socialization. :001_huh: :lol:

Today at my sons' lacrosse game, I was talking to the mother of another player on the sidelines. Over the course of the game, we talked about our kids going to summer camp, her son's upcoming birthday party that my boys (along with the whole lacrosse team) are invited to, how great it is that so many of the boys are also on the same baseball team, getting the kids together next weekend to play laser tag etc. Near the end of the game, the topic of school came up and I explained that we homeschool. She responded that it sounds like a lot of work, but that it's wonderful that I keep my children away from other kids to avoid peer pressure and too much socialization. :001_huh: :lol:

Well, at least you know now. :lol: If you see her again, ask her why I do it :bigear:. Some days I wonder...

That is the number 2 reason we homeschool... Probably not the way she thinks, though. :D

I'm sure it's exactly why a lot of people homeschool. :001_smile:

I think the thing I found the funniest is that she seems to think that too much time with other kids is a bad thing, yet her 7 year old plays 3 team sports and will be going to camp for over half the summer. That and the fact that I get the "socialization" line 9 out of 10 times I mention homeschooling.

I swear to you, I think the first and often only time that many people use the word socialization is when they hear that someone homeschools their kids. :glare:

Good point! I only ever hear it in reference to homeschoolers or puppies. Hmm...

I swear to you, I think the first and often only time that many people use the word socialization is when they hear that someone homeschools their kids. :glare:

:iagree:

Good point! I only ever hear it in reference to homeschoolers or puppies. Hmm...

:lol: For real. :)

People all assumed it was some sort of weird 'sheltering' thing with us. Or because we're Christian, that we were going to do some sort of 100% Bible school type thing - religion in everything. Idk... people are weird. :001_huh: