Menu

Dog Trainer Sarah Wilson's blog: "Wanna See a Stressed Dog?"

I had never heard of "whisker flare" before. It's clearly identifiable in the picture and I think it's good info to know!

http://mysmartpuppy.com/wanna-see-stressed-dog-look-catalog-cover

Very informative. I hadn't heard of a whisker flare before either. Makes you realize that even thought they might be part of our family, we shouldn't stress them out with our ideas of affection.

Yes, I see dogs all the time that supposedly "love" being cuddled, who are obviously just tolerating it. One woman, in a class I taught, insisted on hugging her dog as a reward everytime it obeyed a command. That poor dog HATED being hugged. I had a hard time explaining that her "reward" was actually punishing the poor dog.

Worst though was the client (vet client, not training client) that ended up with stitches in her lip. She has a maltese, so it isn't like it jumped up and got her. I asked how it happened and it turns out the dog growls at her every time she dries it off after a bath. She thinks that is super cute, as the dog is "talking". So she kissed the growling dog on the mouth!!!! And ended up with stitches. And of course told everyone the dog bit "without warning." Not sure what the heck kind of warning she wanted. A written notice?

Yes, I see dogs all the time that supposedly "love" being cuddled, who are obviously just tolerating it. One woman, in a class I taught, insisted on hugging her dog as a reward everytime it obeyed a command. That poor dog HATED being hugged. I had a hard time explaining that her "reward" was actually punishing the poor dog.

Worst though was the client (vet client, not training client) that ended up with stitches in her lip. She has a maltese, so it isn't like it jumped up and got her. I asked how it happened and it turns out the dog growls at her every time she dries it off after a bath. She thinks that is super cute, as the dog is "talking". So she kissed the growling dog on the mouth!!!! And ended up with stitches. And of course told everyone the dog bit "without warning." Not sure what the heck kind of warning she wanted. A written notice?

Yes! My husband and I cringe every time we watch America's Funniest Home Videos and the "talking" dogs that seem to appear on every episode :glare:. It's not cute, or funny, people.

Yes. That is why, in nearly every dog advice post to which I respond here, I mention the fact that dogs speak a very different language than humans, and we don't speak that same language.

Case in point-- the thread a week or so ago when a poster mentioned that her neighbor's dog attacked his owner "with never any warning given."

There is ALWAYS warning. Always. It might be as subtle as ears held slightly more erect, nostrils flared a millimeter, and whiskers flaring forward. But there IS notice. Unfortunately, humans often miss the warning, or continue "loving on" their dogs and disaster happens. Then the dog ends up euthanized. It's sad.

astrid