Menu

need help...complete curr. for HS??

I'm not being able to keep up with the schoolwork, the grading, the planning, all of it. I need something hands-off that I can give my ds, make sure that he is actually doing his work, but not have to come back and grade or prepare for the next set of lessons.

Does anyone have any recommendations? At this rate, I'm seriously considering sending him to PS. I'm not doing him any favors by keeping him home right now.

It would probably be Alpha Omega Lifepacs or SOS. Would he be happy doing either? I actually know two homeschooled boys who do each of the above and were ok with working on their own. You still need to check the work, though. If your son is quite social, he might not be happy with that, but if he is ok just pluggin' along on his own, it could work.

If I wanted that, I would likely go with My Father's World. You would have 4 years of study, and it's "non-denominational" They do 4 days of work and you have a "review day" with mom for at least part of the 5th. I would then have them doing a Science and a Lab with a group. You also add Math.... :)

If I wanted that, I would likely go with My Father's World. You would have 4 years of study, and it's "non-denominational" They do 4 days of work and you have a "review day" with mom for at least part of the 5th. I would then have them doing a Science and a Lab with a group. You also add Math.... :)

I thought MFW required a lot of hands-on work from the parent?

It would probably be Alpha Omega Lifepacs or SOS. Would he be happy doing either? I actually know two homeschooled boys who do each of the above and were ok with working on their own. You still need to check the work, though. If your son is quite social, he might not be happy with that, but if he is ok just pluggin' along on his own, it could work.

I had thought about SOS, but there were several reviews on HSR that said that some of the lessons were difficult to follow. Have you had good experiences with it?

I'm not being able to keep up with the schoolwork, the grading, the planning, all of it. I need something hands-off that I can give my ds, make sure that he is actually doing his work, but not have to come back and grade or prepare for the next set of lessons.

Does anyone have any recommendations? At this rate, I'm seriously considering sending him to PS. I'm not doing him any favors by keeping him home right now.

Aura, what would be the worst that could happen if you did send him to ps?

If I needed something that did all the planning and grading for me, I would probably go with something like American School http://www.americanschoolofcorr.com or the Independent Study (IS) High School attached to the University of Nebraska. There are a few other IS high schools associated with other colleges as well.

That looks nice, but it's expensive for me. I was hoping for about half that cost at the most. If this is typical, I don't know what I'll do. :(

Aura, what would be the worst that could happen if you did send him to ps?

That is a very good question! I'm not sure how well he adjust socially, tbh. It's just the way his personality is. But at the same time, I think he'd do well with a stricter schedule than what I can do here at home.

I'm also concerned about the "slant" that the PS curriculum would have. We believe in a Biblical worldview that would contradict a lot of what's taught in the PS. On top of that, our PS's around here are NOT very good academically as it is.

*sigh* I wish I could afford to send him to a local Christian school. It has it's own problems, but I think it would suit him best.

Any advice is welcome.

I thought MFW required a lot of hands-on work from the parent?

I don't think so. At high school level, it's more of "here's your syllabus. do your work. come ask me if you have questions or need to whine or share".

I can spend about 15-20 minutes a day for looking over daily work. Then a longer "conference" Hang out time once a week to talk and all of that.

I do have to do the grading. my dh did science grading. I did math tests (daily work I had my daughter grade her own). Once a week to make some suggestions for editing a paper.

mfw even gives rubrics in writing, and suggestions how to do the final grade.

here...take a look at page 8 and 9 of this sample of high school year 1 for grading

http://www.mfwbooks.com/inc/pdf/ahlsample.pdf

then scroll to page 10 and 11 of the sample to see that the planning is done. they leave a space for math/science, but if you use their math and science, they include lesson plans for that too.

the 5 year cycle in MFW was more hands on. high school...... if you want it hands on you can do that.. but it can be very hands off. MFW doesn't do the grading for you - but they have answer keys... yes! I wouldn't give up the weekly conference (sometimes it's been saturday morning for us while cleaning house or something, and check in's during daily work to listen to her whine about stuff or get some cool insight.)

It still might not be want you have time for. My schedule is 3 children and I also teach group fitness classes part time (4-5 classes a week).

-crystal

I should add that he's the oldest of six. With trying to school the younger ones, which includes three at various stages of learning to read, I'm having a hard time keeping up with everything he needs to be doing for HS. He is not very self-motivated so I have to stay on top of him to keep him moving forward. I admit that I haven't been very good at being consistent with consequences for not getting his schoolwork done, either.

:grouphug:

I was posting and typing while you were updating....

My daughter sometimes has to get motivated to do her school work too. but it's all planned out and she gets it done so she can play her computer games and chat with friends and do stuff at church, and get to archery on time.

She wasn't happy the time that she ended up in "study hall" with dad, but then she did her work....

-crystal

She wasn't happy the time that she ended up in "study hall" with dad, but then she did her work....

-crystal

Study hall with Dad. Now THAT us a good idea! I'll have to remember that one.

And yes, planning is definitely an area that ends up causing problems. I typically put together the curriculum, and for the lower grades that's worked fine, but it's not working so great with HS.

I should add that he's the oldest of six. With trying to school the younger ones, which includes three at various stages of learning to read, I'm having a hard time keeping up with everything he needs to be doing for HS. He is not very self-motivated so I have to stay on top of him to keep him moving forward. I admit that I haven't been very good at being consistent with consequences for not getting his schoolwork done, either.

I will support anyone who really wants to homeschool. :grouphug: But I have to tell ya, you don't sound like you want to. And as a Mom who is just now finishing our first year of homeschooling for high school, I totally understand how fried and lacking you must feel because this has been the toughest homeschooling year of my life. It's a huge job! Nothing like homeschooling the little ones.

I'm not sure I'm going to homeschool all of my kids through high school. For the first time, I'm ready to take it on year-by-year basis for each of them. K-8th is non-negotiable, we're homeschooling, but the high school years deserve some critical analysis to see if homeschooling really is right. Just my opinion, of course.

I understand both of your concerns, about the content and influences at school and the lack of rigorous academics. Let's consider both of those issues from a different angle:

1. How rigorous are his academics now, at home with you? Would he really be learning less at school? Don't compare the ideal. Compare the reality. You're the only one who can accurately judge that.

2. If you are a strong Christian, were you homeschooled? That's something I had to face head-on at one point: It's just a fact that 99% of the adult Christians I know, including myself, went to public school.

I hope you find something you can live with, that leaves you both happy and fulfilled and with a solid relationship. I would strongly consider public school in your situation, honestly. And I say that as a fellow conservative Christian concerned about rigorous academics. One way or another, he has to be schooled.

My second thought would be to see if K12 is free in your state. You'd have to be there and support him, but he'd have teachers, accountability, and some opportunities to meet other students doing public school at home.

I'd call Seton and tell them you aren't Catholic. There are many non-Catholics using their program because it's nationally recognized as one of the best college prep. programs and it's accredited. We don't use the complete program because I don't like textbooks, but the courses that we do use are outstanding. You get a lot for your money.

I suggest taking a look at the Ace curriculum---very inexpensive and VERY solid academics! We use various subjects and I am very impressed with it. The whole systems set up so the student sets their own schedule and learns to manage their time AND academics. They are supposed to grade, rework and then regrade their schoolwork. FYI---it is NOT a fill in the blank program with no thinking as has been claimed here too many times. It is a solid program with a good track record of students scoring well on college entrance tests and doing well in college. There is a yahoo group that is very helpful. I would do all Ace if I didn't have time/energy to be fully involved in ds's school LONG before considering public school :001_huh:

Thank you all. You've given me lots to think about and lots to research! But it's Monday. And since I'll spend most of my free time looking into some of your suggestions, who knows when I'll get the chance to get back and give you a real update. But thanks so much for your help!

I had thought about SOS, but there were several reviews on HSR that said that some of the lessons were difficult to follow. Have you had good experiences with it?

I haven't used either. I know three people who have used SOS and are happy with it. One of them said you need to double check wrong answers that are automatically graded, if a word is misspelled, it may mark wrong and you need to change it. She said it wasn't a big deal. One friend that uses SOS works full time, and that is why she uses it.

I have a friend doing BJU for the samee reasons, and it was a relief for her. She just needed a break.

Another couple friends do ACE and are happy with it. Very hands off.

My sister-in-law is not Catholic but they love Seton...

Lots off great choices out there!! Don't fret...believe that you will hear a voice behind you saying "This is the way, walk in it." BTW, that 's great advice for me too, as I am agonizing over HS Spanish, Homeschool Tracker, electives, blah blah blah. :iagree:

Another vote for ACE. :001_smile:

It is very student directed and you just oversee and make sure they do they work and meet their goals. You would also keep the test grades and make up the high school transcript based on those.

There is a lot of negativity toward ACE on this board and others, but many homeschoolers have used it over the years and have gone on to productive lives.

We use ACE math for my dd. It works great for her and I am considering adding other subjects in the future.

I'd call Seton and tell them you aren't Catholic. There are many non-Catholics using their program because it's nationally recognized as one of the best college prep. programs and it's accredited. We don't use the complete program because I don't like textbooks, but the courses that we do use are outstanding. You get a lot for your money.

Great advice! We've been fully enrolled and their courses have been excellent preparation for college courses. :)