Menu

Embarrassing question, please help!

My 41 yr. old stomach isn't what it use to be. I am lactose intollerent. Even though I have never used Lactaid or any such thing, I hear this works for the problems associated with eating dairy. Does anyone know if these products do work? What symptoms do they help with?

And now another problem that I would like to know if there is anything that I can take or anything I can do to help. There are foods that I can not eat without getting stomach cramps and diarrhea.:blushing: Such as eggs, steak, beef roast, some fruits, and probably more that I can not think of right now. I don't want to not ever eat these foods, so is there anything I can do before I each such foods that will help me not to have my little problem? While I have just dealt with it and usually only eat these foods if I am at home, we are going to Disney World in September, and have the free dining plan, and I would like to eat what I want without literally having to RUN to the bathroom. So, Is there any help for me?

Thank you for your help with this delicate matter.:o

Lactaid works, but the effectiveness is different in different people. Even with it, I can't eat pizza, but some lactose intolerant people are fine. So, you just have to start out small dairy and see what you can handle. I would reccomend you go as no dairy as possible for a while, that will give your stomach a chance to settle. Then start adding it gradually, but remeber it is a cumulative effect. On trips, I really try to avoid dairy as much as possible, since you're probably also eating greasy food, more stress, less sleep etc. Most restaurants are very willing to leave the cheese off of things if you ask.

Also try acidolpholous tablets. This will increase your friendly bacteria, and help your disgestive system.

And because I sometimes eat more dairy then I think on a trip, I carry pepto-bismol-just in case.:tongue_smilie:

Lactaid (or Walmart's generic equivalent) is very helpful for me with my lactose intolerance. I chew one pill before eating pizza or drinking milk, and then have no problems with these foods, which would otherwise upset my digestion terribly. The pills are effective with most dairy products, but I still find that ice cream disagrees with me.:glare:

Have you talked to your doctor about this yet? Obviously if you eat/drink dairy and you react the obvious jump is to lactose interolence, but the other foods shouldn't be associated with it. You really should get a full physical and mention the other problems you are having. There may actually be some intestinal issues going on.

Lactaid does help some. However, through many years of trial and error (childbirth really wreaked havoc on the old bod :glare:), here's what I've found that helps my wacky digestive system:

Coffee makes my tummy gurgly, and really makes things...erm, fly through my system, if you know what I mean. When I'm off caffeine, I very rarely have to worry about the "eat a heavy meal, sprint for the bathroom" thing. However, I drink it anyway. I just can't stay away *sigh* It's definitely bad for me--gives me raging heartburn too :(

Anything carbonated is really bad news for me. That includes beer, soda, and some ciders. I switched from soda to iced tea and that helped a lot (though I had a ginger ale tonight at a party, and ugh!).

I started taking 5-HTP for other issues, but it turns out that it settles my stomach almost 100%. Apparently, most of the serotonin in your body is in your gut, not your head. The 5-HTP, which converts to serotonin, has really changed my whole digestive system around. I was one very uncomfortable and unhappy girl on a daily basis before I realized that the supplements had just about eliminated the problem. Most of the literature on side effects of 5-HTP say that the pills can CAUSE gas, bloating, stomach upset etc., but in my case it had the opposite effect.

I HTH you some. I've been struggling with tummy issues since my oldest was born almost 6 years ago. I'm just now starting to figure it all out.

I agree with Jenn here. Clearly there's something much more than lactose intolerance going on here -- and it may 1) indicate something that needs to be treated and/or 2) not be something you have to "just live with"!

Please go ahead and see what your doctor has to say about all this...

Okay....I am 44. You list of symptoms combined with the list of food sounds like your gall bladder is starting to go on you......This is the typical age. I should know....mine is missing now....:lol:

I would recommend getting it checked before it's too late and you find yourself in the midst of a very painful gall bladder attack.

The other thing is food allergies. Those are also the symptoms of a developing food allergy.

I should know....my life was ruined when I found out I was allergic to cayenne pepper after all these years.....allergic reaction in a Chinese restaurant no less.

Thank God for benedryl or I would be dead. The allergist told me that when our body reacts to foods that way (depending on what it is) we are mildly allergic and don't realize. Most people chalk it up to eating too much or mild food poisoning.....No...food allergies.

I hope you can get it checked out soon.

I agree it could well be gall bladder related. Eggs are a strong gall bladder problem trigger. But it could also be severe food sensitivities.

But I don't think you are going to find a band aid solution. I think you need to listen to your body and take care of it.

I would get yourself some strong digestive enzymes. I don't know the brand names from the U.S. And take them before every meal.

And I would take Yakult and/or acidopholous - a lot of it. My husband has lots of digestive issues and he sometimes takes 2 yakults a day. It doesn't fix the problem but it makes it much easier to live with.

I would keep a food diary and write down everything that affects you. And then see if the digestive enzymes help. Write it all down for a while,and experiment to find what are your triggers, and if anything helps.

personally, I dont find doctors usualyl know a lot about digestive issues, but if it is gallbladder related, they may want to whip it out. There are other ways to manage, but you would have to go to someone skilled with natural therapies.

I have had 2 colonoscopies. One in 2002 where I had 6 polyps removed. And another one in 2003 where I had 1 polyp removed. There were performed br 2 different doctors (Due to insurance changes). The doctor who performed my 2nd colonoscopy said I didn't need another until I was 50.

And I have had gallstones for at least 10-15 years. So could this be maybe why my body is reacting the way it does? Does this mean I can't eat these foods any longer?

You could check out this website (http://www.helpforibs.com) for info. about IBS. The trigger foods you listed are common IBS trigger foods...red meat, eggs, and even dairy foods. (Dietary fats are very troublesome if you've got IBS!) As far as fruits go, my dd is bothered by acidic things like citrus.

The website was created by a woman who has IBS. She has also written a book and cookbook.

and I'm only 36. While you could be suffering from any number of things, it sounds alot like my reactions to certain foods. I recently discovered that I am allergic/intolerant to sulfites and sulphur. My beginning symptoms were digestive and my face always looked red. It took me a long time to figure out what the culprit was because I couldn't pinpoint it on one thing. I can't eat all sorts of things like beans, eggs, garlic, onions, peppers, tortillas, corn syrup, grapes, french fries, dried fruit, vinegar, cheese, lettuce, vitamins, bleached flour/sugar, etc. I've had to make lots of dietary changes and I am now seeing a naturopath. Another thing to consider is gluten. If you are eating gluten with these other things, that could be it. I hope you find help for this.